• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Tonight's telly was, whilst dining, an episode of 24 Hours in Police Custody; except it turned out not to be because it was a two-parter with the first part being about the undercover operation observing a drug importer and, annoyingly, part two doesn't seem to be on the C4 app

Then it was back as far as the app goes for S2E1 of 24 Hours in A&E featuring various people with horrible injuries

At least none of them died in this one

Better get to sleep now, ready for tomorrow when TPTB make their decision and I either find that the work I've been doing since last week has been a waste of time, or that the work I did the week before that was

Goodnight all
    Its never a waste of time if you can invoice!

Remember ABC - Always Be Charging!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Morning all

There's a wee patch of blue making a valiant attempt to break through the cloud. Currently 14 degrees with a high of 22 expected. No rain forecast. Barometer up to 1015 mBar.

Bins have been deposited out on the pavement, to join the pile awaiting collection. First coffee being drunk.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
      Henry Wood conducts the first 'Promenade Concert' at the old Queens Hall in London 1895

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Grey.

White sky.

Sunless.

Slightly less chilly at 19.7 deg in here.

1012 mBar, 29.884 in Hg, 68% RH.

Tuesday.

Nearly dead.

Send flowers.

Did too much gardening yesterday.

Had to stop the ibuprofen.

Now covered in gel instead.

Walk walked while fending off horseflies.

5 lawns mown, 2 to go.

Lunch: Heinz lentil soup and Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly sandwich on same, a red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Car SOS: VW T4 Camper.

Said lawns now mown. Feck me I'd left them just a tad too long.

Officially half dead now.

Entertainment: Trucking Hell S3 E17 (according to the EPG).

Tea: Tesco breaded cod (last chunk, putting the breadcrumbs that remained onto the salting house roof led to a remarkable dispute amongst the local jackdaws once they'd spotted them), the last of the sliced peaches, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Discovering Dustin Hoffman.

Tudur Owen's TV Flashback.

Elementary S6 E13 "Breathe" on Pick.

Massive Engineering Mistakes on Quest, said mistakes being: Montreal bridge collapse "innovative design", CIS building in Manchester with ill designed exterior tiling, Apollo 13, LochWiller, France, crumbling away.

This last being caused by more green lunacy, to whit some idiot deciding that geothermal heating for a house Was A Good Idea.

Which it wasn't since much of that area has a layer of anhydrite which is dry until a hole gets drilled through it & the impermeable layer below allowing ground water to soak into said anhydrite which promptly swells causing much angst.

Same thing happened in Germany with precisely similar results.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 August 2021, 08:36.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

CURRENT CONDITIONS
          16.2 °C
          WIND & GUST
          3.2 / 3.2 km/h
          DEWPOINT
          13.7 °C
          PRECIP RATE
          0.00 mm/hr
          PRESSURE
          1,018.96 hPa
          HUMIDITY
          85 %
          PRECIP ACCUM
          0.00 mm
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Temperature 20.8 °C
            Sunshine 7 of 10 min
            Precipitation 0 mm/h
            Wind speed 4 km/h
            Wind direction SE
            Wind gusts 7 km/h
            Relative humidity 61%
            Pressure 983 hPa
            Snow coverage 0 cm

Water temperature
            Birs 12.8 °C
            Rhein 18.6 °C

Saw Knives Out in the open air cinema last night. A good film to see with 1000 other people! Free ice-cream and cheaper than the usual cinema.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Its never a waste of time if you can invoice!

Remember ABC - Always Be Charging!
              Oh, absolutely! When the possibility was first mooted the other dev sounded really upset at the thought that several weeks' work was going to be thrown away, and I just cheerfully said "Never mind, keep calm and carry on invoicing!" Some of the other people on the call, even contractors, seemed a bit stunned by that; I probably said the quiet bit out loud again

Thinking back, there was the six months I spent at Yahoo! Europe on a project which was then thrown away before ever launching when a new CEO turned up. From there I went on to help build a CMS at Capital Radio, which I think was thrown away or at least scaled back when they got bought by Global Radio about five months in. And next year I spent about nine months in Cambridge working on a system for doing GCSEs and A Levels on computer, which was thrown away when the exam board decided to use an external solution that wasn't even expected to be available for another two years

And then there was the really cool online advertising campaign website for Asos, which took three months to build and was only live for about a month; but that's just advertising for you. It won loads of awards and the people who'd devised it got promotions or high-powered jobs at big agencies as a direct result, and that's really the entire point of just about everything in advertising

Comment

I've had three meetings this morning!

Time for a spot of breakfast.

Comment

Posting it here as I don't do general

Eek Jr 1 has her A level results and has just managed to swap to doing Horology at Birmingham City from Planning at Newcastle University.

The Grade C in Geography shows that something practical without either essays and exams makes more sense for her.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Eek Jr 1 has her A level results and has just managed to swap to doing Horology at Birmingham City from Planning at Newcastle University.

The Grade C in Geography shows that something practical without either essays and exams makes more sense for her.
                    congrats to miss Eek!

Hopefully Horology will click with her
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Time will tell if Horology is the right choice

Comment

Working...
                      X