• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Live in Pompeii was better ( or weirder, or more pretentious depending on your point of view ).
    <spoiler> for those who missed this evening's epic, it's repeated tomorrow at 15:45 </spoiler>

It's many years since I watched it last, can't say I was particularly impressed, Pulse was much better.

And less wet.

"Live in Pompeii" has been on Sky Arts too.

I seem to watch rather a lot of stuff on that channel.

Now watching "PF: the making of Wish You were Here": currently at Syd's lights going out stage.

Now Venetta Fields doing her bit.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 September 2021, 22:33.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Greyhound (2020), courtesy of the Apple TV Plus subscription that came free for a year with a recent purchase. It's the story of an inexperienced commander setting forth on perilous seas, though I don't know if it's also a metaphor for the fact that it was the first movie produced by Apple (AFAIK). Anyway, it's a WWII North Atlantic convoy story based on a C. S. Forester novel and starring Tom Hanks, and it's pretty good

Mind you, it makes the usual mistake of being in colour, when those of us who watched war films on telly in the 1960s know that reality in the 1940s was in black and white

And then I decided to relive the heady early days of the pandemic by rewatching Contagion and 28 Days Later which both remain very good indeed

I find that when I first watched Contagion in 2017 I said:

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      When the nearest you can get to a villain is some blogger flogging homeopathic cures from his website, your plot has probably taken a wrong turn somewhere
      And now the more right wing and dimwitted people of the USA are buying and ingesting veterinary medicines intended for treating parasitic worms in horses, in the unfounded belief that it will save them from the coronavirus, while simultaneously refusing free vaccines that actually will save them therefrom. I should have trusted the filmmakers

Goodnight all

Comment

^^^ I have a little song in my heart every time an unvaccinated radio shockjock pops his CV19 infected clogs.

The demise of Bozo Bunter the Fat Owl of the Remove and Trump joining them in Hades would have put the ribbons, bells & whistles on it all.

Morning.

Dry.

Wanly sunny.

Cooler at 19.3 deg.

1015 mBar, 29.97 in Hg, 71% RH.

Saturday.

It just passed across what now remains of my mind that the most incongruous thing about "The Ipcress File" was the steam engine pulling the express train at the beginning.

That, and the presence of porters.

Walk walked in the sunshine.

Compared with earlier in the week, it's much warmer.

Lunch: Heinz pea & ham soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly sandwich on same, red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Him next door has got his petrol strimmer thing going.

Fecking irritating noise, I hates it, I really really hates it.

Freecell score: 91% or so, running average 84% (84.12%).

Tea: spag with that now remarkably fiery bol after it sojourn in the freezer for a fortnight, some peach slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "Pulse". Not as loud as last week which made my ears ring later.

Could have done with a bit more oooomph on "Comfortably Numb" but there you go.

Now listening to the rarely listened to cd1, skipping the songs I don't like much.

Entertainment: "Doctor Who & the Daleks (1965)" with Peter Cushing as the Doctor, and Roy Castle as an assistant.

I'm sure it seemed a good deal more inneresting when I was 11.

In fact it's not nearly as good in colour as it was on 405 line B&W in 1963.

Satisfyingly enough, we've just had The Green Three Fingered Claw of the Dalek entity itself.

The Lost Room E3 & E4. Or at least I think they were E3 & E4, the numbering seems a bit obscure, being "the key and the clock", "the comb and the box", etc.

Actually it was E2.

Confused? You will be.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 September 2021, 22:39.

Comment

Morning all

It's dry and bright, the battle for blue sky vs cloudy seems to be ongoing (blue just about winning I think). Currently 17 degrees with a high of 20 expected. Barometer down to 1019 mBar.

The bed wasn't made yesterday until I needed to go to bed. At least it got a full day's airing.

HWMBO is at the airport on his way down to stay with me for a couple of days before we jet off to forrin lands. Having not left the flat for much more than once a week for a good while, this week is going to be a veritable outdoor fest! Salon yesterday, Meatopia tomorrow, cinema Monday, Grenada Wednesday

Anyway, today's Kantar diary fact is:
          American singer, Kelly Clarkson, becomes the first winner of reality television series 'American Idol' 2002

Comment

Having not left the flat for much more than once a week for a good while, this week is going to be a veritable outdoor fest!
            Dunno I could survive that. Taken to wandering near village in morning to wake meself up, and proper walk in afternoon with or without a loony lady. Loony lady 2 seems to have an aversion to home in the day, if she doesn't have anything on she just wanders around her village or sits in her car. Only home in evenings, vodka, fag and Coronation Street.

Another email from my "date". Interesting life, taught in Sudan.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Another cloudy but not rainy one, which feels like it has been the main theme of much of the summer. Currently 18°C, possibly reaching 19° in a bit, barometers down a little on 1011/1019mB

Currently debating with myself whether to go to the Chinese tonight or not. I might not bother…

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Afternoon denizens

Another cloudy but not rainy one, which feels like it has been the main theme of much of the summer. Currently 18°C, possibly reaching 19° in a bit, barometers down a little on 1011/1019mB

Currently debating with myself whether to go to the Chinese tonight or not. I might not bother…
                truely, It is the end of days
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Just had a call from the hotel in Grenada. They've just announced a whole heap of curfews and restrictions so we'll be spending a lot of time in the hotel and not getting out and about much.

Good job I picked a nice place to stay!

Comment

^^^

Can't remember the last time I saw that many Vauxhall Chevettes.

Oh, and that "touch sensitive channel change" was beloved by flies who enjoyed changing the channels for you without let or hindrance.

This is inneresting if you like acronyms:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...oip-world.html

I've been wondering quietly to myself about this: the POTS has 60V supplying whatever's connected, whereas fibre, being glass, like, not so much.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 September 2021, 14:33.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

truely, It is the end of days
                      The change of management down there has been enough of an upheaval for me to be able to break my habit. I used to just go there when I felt like it, on whatever night of the week; not sure why I slipped into the habit of going every Saturday, but there's really no good reason for it. It'll be nice to get back to the old days of deciding I fancy a beef chow mein on a Tuesday instead

Comment

Working...
                      X