• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all.

Overcast and dull but a balmy 12 degrees at the moment. Forecast high is 13 and a 50% chance of rain this afternoon. Barometer down to 1010 mBar.

First coffee being drunk.

Tired

Comment

Morning all

Dry.

Blue sky in patches with pinky white clouds.

Cooler at 15.9 deg in here.

1010 mBar and 66% RH.

Wednesday.

And I've already had a phonecall this morning.

<hiatus>

The scaffolding is departing as I type.

Hope they don't feck up the tv aerial again.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 November 2020, 09:22.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning - very warm for November

Listening to explanation of why the rat population has increased during lockdown on the radio. Putting the wrong thing down the toilet is giving the rats food. Yuck!
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning all
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Morning - very warm for November

Listening to explanation of why the rat population has increased during lockdown on the radio. Putting the wrong thing down the toilet is giving the rats food. Yuck!
            What are people putting down the toilet that isn't a #1 or #2 (with paper)

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey, damp, 9°C day outside

It's not actually raining at the moment, but it seems to have done a far amount of it so far and is due to do some more any time. More slow and steady than torrential, though

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                What are people putting down the toilet that isn't a #1 or #2 (with paper)
                Stop eating sweetcorn & tomatoes.

And wetwipes are a definite no no but for blockages reasons rather than feeding rats reasons.

Walk walked.

Some of the scaffolding departed from the front of the house, sufficient to reenable the freesat dishes.

Which should mean an end to the flaky DTTV which I manage to crash with irritation regularity, normally when a programme is about to start.

Had a reasonably long conversation with a chap who walks the same walk as me, relating the number of companies I and Strangelove Pater managed to shut down merely by working for them.

And on a happier note: the number of people who used to walk said walk who are now pushing up daisies.

Of the 4 or 5 who walked the walk with me, there's 2 left, me and Frank, and Frank looks as if he's on his last legs.

Oh, and it was sunny in parts.

Forgot to mention today's contribution to the area: a fridge dumped in the other carpark I pass on the walk.

That was last night's contribution.

<hiatus>

Got the blade off the circular saw so I have sommat to compare when I go to B&Q in a little while.

Lunch: poached tomato and proper leathery scrambled egg on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast (non crust), bramble jelly sandwich on same, pippy red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 November 2020, 12:16.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Bookcase collapse averted!

The bookcases are attached to the wall by a right-angled bracket at the top, screwed into the wall and the top of the bookcase. The latter attachment is done with a self-tapping screw (as supplied by IKEA), and this had somehow pulled out of the wood. Luckily the bookcase just leant forward an inch or two, rather than crashing down and crushing my desk and iMac with the weight of books. Not good though

Getting the big stepladder out so I could see the top (about seven-and-a-half to eight feet up), I realised this was the one where I'd accidentally put the screw into the wall about 5mm too high. For some reason, I'd then put the screw into the bookcase part of the bracket quite near the wall - the bookcase part is pretty long with a slot down the centre. This was the last one I did, and I suspect I was getting tired and in a hurry and figured that'd do

Once I'd pushed it back into position, I realised that where the screw had been, the bracket wouldn't have flexed enough for the screw to be properly in the wood, whereas nearer the front the bracket bends enough to get the screw in properly. So I did that. If it should go again, I'll try again with the wall side at the right height a few inches further along, but with a bit of luck that'll hold now

Comment

Lunch was left overs from Monday's curry.

I have moved out of my office so HWMBO can work from there this evening and the next two days. I might see if I can connect my work laptop to my new TV

Comment

Just had my Mum on the phone. She was all "You can't be alone for Christmas!" and I was "Yes I can, I do it the rest of the year, I don't mind" and she was "Well I do!"

Anyway, I obfuscated the existing-bubble-as-one-household thing, and laid it on with a trowel about having to avoid contact for two weeks before and after, and when she mentioned the idea of pushing it back and having a big do at Easter instead I pounced on that and talked it up, pointing out we'd probably all have been vaccinated by then and so on. So she's coming round to that idea

But she might also be having eye surgery in December and she and my Dad have to isolate for two weeks after that because of the risk from being in hospital, so it might turn out they either can't go at all, or their presence there will mean I can't go.

So the only conclusion reached was that it's too early to say

I'm going to keep pushing the Easter thing, I reckon

Comment

Working...
                      X