• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only one demijohn of cider left to bottle, but I'm out of bottles again.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      So I've immediately moved my Corolla into that prime spec
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Tea: oniony sausage casserole with chips and peas

And before that, lunch was nothing, because I'd had a slice of buttered wholemeal toast this morning so didn't have hunger pangs preventing me going out. I did think of getting something from the hot food counter in Sainsbury's, but then I forgot, and it would have been cold by the time I got back anyway

Comment

TFBSZ

Comment

I watched Operation Mincemeat recently, and then I wanted to watch the 1950s film The Man Who Never Was again, because it's about the same deception operation but before as much was known about it

But I couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out the rights owner, Twentieth Century Fox, forgot they owned it and neglected to renew the American copyright, so it fell into the public domain there; but that means they have no rights to sell to any streaming services, and the streaming services aren't interested without legal guarantees of rights, and DVDs are generally dreadfully low quality badly-edited copies because there's people who make bank out of selling out-of-copyright stuff and don't care about quality…

But lo! it's on iPlayer because the BBC are wonderful

But only for 20 more days because, I dunno, Fox are probably a bunch of bastards who are asserting a claim on UK copyright? Whatever, it's there now so go watch: BBC iPlayer - The Man Who Never Was

And then I watched Operation Mincemeat again to compare the two, as you do. They both have a scene in an entrance to some flats that's lit, and that wouldn't happen because of the blackout. Then again, the 1955 film has a scene with aerial bombing of central London, which didn't really happen in 1943; so they both have their problems with historical accuracy

One thing that's occurred to me, though, is that my ClientGov department is based in the Admiralty so, as this was a Naval Intelligence operation, its quite possible that this operation was discussed in one of the rooms that I've been to meetings in. Probably not, because the place is huge and has so many rooms, but you never know

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Thursday.

The recycling and waste disposal engineers have made their merry way along the road, no doubt cursing the weather.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Dreadful.

Grey verging on black.

Drizzly.

Wet.

Windy.

Chilly in here at 13 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 11 deg in the leanto.

1000 mBar, 29.53 in Hg, 750.06 Torr, 14.5 psi, (unchanged from last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 68% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 11th of April 2019 I was searching for Mater's birth certificate to satisfy the oik in the Post Office for the passport application (it wasn't needed if you're as old as I am but I bought a new one just to get the process going), whilst NF was amazed to find that it was still light at 20:00, unlike today when it won't be light all day judging by current appearances.

Today is playing some Jeff Beck. .

Freecell score: 81%, running average 85%.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, 2 x slices of toast with marmalade, 1 slice with bramble jelly, red corner yog, 0.91*1.67 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y Sliced Bread: shampoo.

TWAO.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the dry with hints of sun.

It started pissing down after I returned & during my examination of the swamp that the garage has become.

Where the feck all that water is coming from is beyond me.

I thought I'd sealed it fairly well, but obviously not.

Freecell score: 88%, running average 85%.

Tea: chilli con carne with rice, the last of the pear halves, a yog, 0.91*1.57 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S16 E12 1976 Land Rover Series III in diesel, smokey diesel, very smokey diesel. Bought: $13k5, Total: $17259, Sold: $23k. Oil seal on the transfer case, refurb the handbrake & stop the oil from the transfer case leaking into it, add a PTO and a winch, clean the oil filled air cleaner (I never did this on any of my P4s, the 110 had a paper air filter), change the oil filter. Fatuous trip to the top of some Californian mountain or other to demo the winch. .

Dr Pimplepopper S3 E2: Reg has his keloids removed.

Trucking Hell S6 E14. Merrie's struck isn't well.

The Movies E2 on Sky Arts: film noir (many of which I've watched) and musicals (most of which I've not watched) along with the wonders of The Method and The Actors Studio.

The skinwalker crap is on Blaze but I couldn't be arsed to watch it. It's even worse than the Oak Island nutjobbery & that's saying something.

I suppose the one thing in its favour is the lack of mention of The Knights who say Ni!, Shakespeare, his manuscripts, gold, or the Holy Grail.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 January 2023, 23:10.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all
                Too wet to garden, too wet to walk The DogTW
                Somewhere on my job list is regrouting a couple of tiles in the kitchen floor and maybe even tidying the office a bit

Comment

Urgh. Got a footpath volunteer thing shortly, repairing some steps. So grey and wet I wished I hadn't signed up for it.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning all

Dull, overcast, damp. Windy too. Currently 12 degrees ('feels like' 10) and that's the high for the day. Showers forecast off and on, the sky may clear just before sunset. Barometer down to 1006 mBar.

Busy morning with go/no-go meetings. Everything was a no-go but very close.

Comment

Just had one of those calls where after waiting weeks for people to tell you how things actually work - they are left in no position but to reveal how things actually work.

Now just got to pick up the fallout and work out how to fix things without anyone losing face.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X