• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've assembled three very narrow bookcases, basically a Billy but much thinner and less deep, which fit just nicely against a sliver of wall by the living room door and will house much of the DVD collection

Then I went to the tip with large quantities of corrugated cardboard, which has freed up a good bit of space. Coming back, I popped into Homebase along the way and got some curtain hooks.

And upon returning, I assembled an Ikea side table, so I now have somewhere other than the arm of my chair, the window ledge, or the floor on which to rest my coffee

Feeling a bit worn out now. There's a lot of effort goes into unpacking all this Ikea stuff and putting it together

Comment

Lunch, by the way, was rather late and was also a ham bap. And tea has been lamb scouse with seedy bloomer

Now debating whether to put together a large Kallax unit or leave it until tomorrow and watch silly nonsense instead

Comment

Dinner was a beef casserole left over from when HWMBO was staying before Christmas. Very nice it was too.

TV entertainment was Skin A&E on My5. Many cysts and keloid scars on ears.

Comment

TFBSZ
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The car was a repeated BMW something, and the gold diggers had their repeated successes and failures.

And eventually, having decided not to bother with furniture assembly, I watched the first two episodes of The Rig on Amazon Prime Video. It seems riddled with cliché to me; the characters are exactly the set of characters one always gets in these things, with the same individual traits they always have, and they act in the ways they always do, and they say the things they always say. Also, while I've never worked offshore, I've known people who have and have worked in companies that provided Offshore Safe System of Work training for people who do, and I find it highly unlikely that experienced rig workers would take the cavalier approach to safety procedures that some of these people do - or more accurately, do when it's convenient that they do so to move the plot forward; the rest of the time, they do everything properly, which makes it even more obvious.

And generally there's a lot of unexpected stuff happening; not in the sense of "oh, an exciting and mysterious thing is going on" but just that people behave in ways that nobody would in the circumstances shown. For example, somebody who's got as far as inserting the key into a control panel to disable a false rig-wide alarm and just has to turn it would not, at that point, break off to try to punch somebody who's said something to annoy them. They'd complete their current action by turning the key, which takes about a tenth of a second, then launch themselves at the bloke. There's no end of stuff like that, and people saying stuff that people would never say, and so on. I reckon it's all pretty rubbish

Air Crash Investigation is no longer available on Disney+

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Clear blue sky, just the odd hint of wispy stuff. Damp from overnight rain. Currently 7 degrees ('feels like' 4) with a high of 10 forecast. Cloud cover is set to increase as the morning progresses with rain expected this afternoon, getting heavier overnight. Barometer down a smidge to 1011 mBar.

Must remember to order more coffee.

Comment

Morning.

Wednesday apparently.

It appeared to be Wednesday last night but I didn't believe it.

Intermittently wet.

Not very windy.

Grey.

Gloomy but not as gloomy as yesterday.

Sunless though there is a little brightness.

Chilly in here at 12.6 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 10 deg in the leanto.

1016 mBar, 30.002 in Hg, 762.06 Torr, 14.736 psi, (up from 1012 last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 68% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 11th of April 2019 Brillo got a pali. And that's it.

Walk (much abbreviated) walked in the damp, then rain, then damp again, sunless, chilly, and windy.

The Back seems to have benefited from this.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast, 2 x marmalade slices of toast, 1 x bramble jelly, red pippy corner yog, 0.91*1.59 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y until it started waffling on about energy bills.

Since I was bored I spent a couple of hours perusing some tv manuals that I nicked from Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde in 2005.

They've sat unregarded in a big unmovable cardboard box for a mere 17.5 years.

Nothing of any great innerest though I did find the exam results for the 1976 C&G TV servicing course where my predeceased predecessor had obtained two distinctions and a credit.

I wonder if the distinction level was similar to the HNC where it was Pass at 40% and Distinction at 85%.

Back is still complaining. Ho very hum.

Tea: meatballs with rice n peas (won't be having this again for a long time: I may donate the remaining cans), some pear halves, a yog, 0.91*1.61 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM. Is it me or is the presenter getting as irritating as the previous one who buggered off.

Wheeler Dealers S16 E11 1964 Triumph TR4 barn find. Engine out. changed the rear oil seal, new water pump, changed the dynamo to an alternator (and no: a dynamo's output isn't rectified in the regulator, it outputs DC due to the commutator), tarted up the paint in the engine bay, changed the driver's door door skin, changed the flywheel to a lightened one, new clutch.

And, since it was California with no salt, the body didn't resemble lace. Bought: $6k8, Total: $12k3, Sold: $14k.

Fred Dibnah's Age of Steam: ships.

Fred Dibnah's Age of Steam: steam turbines & the like.

Ferne Briton wandering around that Cornwall.

Bits of Dr Pimplepopper interspersed with bits of Moneypenny on "Who do you think you are?".

Naomie Harris "Miss Moneypenny" on "Who do you think you are?". Traced all the way back to the early 1800s.

Skin A&E S3 E9: Lady with a mole & a cyst which proved problematic, chap who faints with needles with a nice big cyst on his scalp..

The chap managed not to faint & his cyst was a cyst, whereas the lady's cyst was a lipoma.

Lady with a lipoma on her neck. Lady with seborrheic keratosis.

Weatherwise it's pretty nasty out there at the moment: horizontal rain & a semi gale.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 January 2023, 23:52.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny day out, clear blue sky with just the merest wisp of fluffiness off to one side, though rain is expected this afternoon. Currently 7°C and maybe reaching 9° later. Bit of a shimmy on the conifers so it must be fairly breezy. The barometers are ups very little bit at 994/1002mB

The Victorian house next door on the bedroom side has got tree surgeons doing some maintenance on their big cedar and also on the ivy (or some such creeper) growing up the side of the place. So although I was already somewhat awake, my rising was hastened by the sound of a wood chipper running continuously almost directly below the window. Turns out double glazing isn't enough to deal with that kind of thing

Comment

Morning all
                    CBS, which is due to last a few hours. Time to hit the garden
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

How do you ignore a single poster?
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X