• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

DPD are pretty good at rescheduling deliveries so you ought to be able to move it to tomorrow. I have the app and you can then track where the delivery driver is in relation to you so you don't have to wait in for hours.
    Yes, I've got the DPD app, but I was OK with getting the stuff today. It turned out be two deliveries at the same time - the arms of the sofa and their covers from Ikea, and the broadband kit ready for setup next week

The eye-measuring lady determined that I'd benefit from new lenses in my reading glasses, but they also happen to work well for working at my desk on the big monitor, so I'm getting a new pair instead. Unfortunately, this led to the glasses-making guy spending ages leading me through various possible frames ("Ah, if you think those would be OK, let me just show you these three other possibilities offering the following advantages" kind of thing) but to be fair, it did mean I ended up with a better option than the one I started out with. Cheap too: only £40 for the frames, and I let him upsell me on lenses with a special stay-clean coating, so it ended up being a mere £105 for the lot

During that, I'd started to get the pings from the DPD app about the imminent approach of the delivery. I just had time to grab a mug, a saucepan, and some instant coffee and sugar before heading over, so I managed to make myself a brew while I waited for him to arrive. Nowhere to sit to drink it though, so I ended up standing at my big living room window watching a couple of magpies ditzing about in the middle of the lawn while a grey squirrel went about its business along the edge

On the way back, I stopped off at Homebase to grab an aerial lead, and then into Halfords next door to get some things to clean the inside of my windscreen, as it was filthy and scattering the low sunlight everywhere.

And now I'm back, and about ready to grab the lunch I was hoping to have three hours or so ago

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Wish DHL were - ordered some shirts 2 weeks ago. Despatched over the weekend due to delays at the warehouse and now they've been sat in the local dhl warehouse since Monday morning.
      Them and FedEx seem to be terrible for that sort of thing

Comment

Popped back over with some crockery and glasses so, if I remember to take any cutlery, I'll be able to eat and drink while I'm there

And when at Big Sainsbury's, I'd forgotten to get any of the tablet things for the dishwasher, so I popped round to the nearby Sainsbury's Local and got some

No Sainsbury's Local when I lived around there in the 1980s. I can't remember what those two or three shops were. But the adjacent hardware store is still there, as is the excellent butcher, and the best kebab shop in Leicester - the one I'd sometimes travel across the city from here to go to

But setting off there later in the afternoon turns out to be a bad idea, as the rush hour had already built up enough to make things really slow. Much of the journey is on comparatively minor roads, but there's one point where you have to do about three hundred yards on a main road, and it backs up terribly there

Comment

Tea: some of those nice oniony sausages with chips and beans

Comment

It's a very frosty night out, with a full moon (well, 99.9% full) high up close to Mars and, a bit lower down, Orion striding majestically across the sky

Comment

TFBSZ
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The car earlier was a BMW M3, which apparently is good. And the gold diggers had some success again.

Then a bit more Police Interceptors whilst dining. And finally, Drugsland: Going Country, about the investigation and apprehension of a gang running drugs between Liverpool and Devon, which was very good

Early night now as I might need to be over at the new place at 9am, though I won't know for sure until Ikea send a text message first thing; the delivery could be any time between then and 1pm

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Cold start again, currently -3°C and not expected to do better than 2°. Barometers are down at 1004/1013mB

My Ikea delivery is still "between 09:00 and 13:00" so I need to head over there in the rush-hour traffic. The map had him at what I suspect is the depot around an hour ago and now shows him getting towards the outskirts of the city. I am apparently delivery number seven, though there's no way to estimate what time that will convert into until he starts dropping stuff off for other people

Comment

Morning all
                    CBS and a hard frost out there.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky.

Cold at 10 deg in here, 10 deg in the kitchen, 4 deg in the leanto.

1011 mBar, 29.854 in Hg, 758.3 Torr, 14.663315 psi, (down from 1015 last night), 69% RH (GDR hair), 61% (Lidl electric).

Thursday.

The recycling engineers made their merry way along the road earlier.

Meanwhile back on the 16th of March 2019 the red mist was rising due to taking next door's crap to the dump whilst the occupants did their usual sweet FA. .

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine, grey gloom, and chilly chill.

Shopping trip to Tesco done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away for all the stuff I forgot on Monday.

Lunch: baked potato with baked beans and cheese, a red pippy corner yog, bramble jelly blackcurrant jam and marmalade on slices of Morrisons linseed & soya toast, 0.91*1.66 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: TWAO until the 13:45 <click>

Freecell score: 100% (of 13), running average 85%.

The PIC programming suite duly loaded on the other Win2k box. Dunno if it runs but I suppose it probably will.

PICStart Plus removed from its previous location so it can be pressed into service again, and, in doing so, found some PICs & assorted dram that I'd forgotten I had.

There's an awful lot of stuff in this house. WTF most of it's for is debatable, including the numerous project boxes and mains transformers, tno to mention the printer switches (centronics), and rs232 selector boxes. All purchased for peanuts from Maplin way back in the day.

Found some Practical Wireless from 1976 in another box, along with some ancient Guns & Ammo from the 70s, back when Jeff Cooper & Elmer Keith were still writing for it.

The temperature has now reached levels were even I require a little heat now & again. . Oh the trauma.

Tea: chilli con carne with rice, the last of the peach slices, a yog, 0.91*1.61 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM waffling on about all sorts of :

Wheeler Dealers S15 E20: 1965 Volvo Amazon 122. 1.8 litre. Refurbished suspension & brakes, plus clutch master & slave cylinders. And no, the drum brakes on the rear don't have calipers oddly enough.. Bought: $3k5, Total: $4,281, Sold: $6k5.

The Secret Genius of Modern life: fitness tracker, whatever one of those is. .

Trucking Hell S6 E10. Feck me they struggled with that trailer.

Wheeler Dealers S17 E9 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo7 whatever the feck that is. Bought unseen off the interweb: £6k75, Total: £12k5, Sold: £15k. Engine was toast: conrod through the side of the block, "new" 2nd hand block: bearings refurbished, some magic pump thing that controls the diff moved from under the rear wing to the boot, Yet Another Wrap (WTF?), new shocks & springs. Taxed & tested until October 2023.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 December 2022, 23:06.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X