• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advantages of gardening in the depths of winter:
    1. Wet soil is easier to shift trees out of than compacted dry soil
    2. Working until the sun goes down means stopping at 5pm, not 9pm.

On the flip side, my back and shoulders are not happy.

TFBSZ
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The car earlier was a Nissan 300ZX; nothing to do with Clive Sinclair though, one assumes. And the gold diggers didn't do anything they hadn't done the last time this one was shown

And then I watched S1E1 to 4 of The Handmaid's Tale which seems very good; pretty faithful to the book so far, which is no bad thing as it's a good book

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        The car earlier was a Nissan 300ZX; nothing to do with Clive Sinclair though, one assumes
        It was a ZX91. .

Morning.

Thursday, but no recycling engineers due to the New Year nonsense.

Grey, very grey.

Sunless.

Damp.

Dank.

Dreary.

Chilly at 13.5 deg in here, 13 deg in the kitchen, 12 deg in the leanto.

1016 mBar, 30.00246 in Hg, 762.06 Torr, 14.735 psi, (down from 1016 and a bit last night), 72% RH (GDR hair), 71% (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 7th of April 2019 there was much discussion of blood pressure, whilst I watched "Brazil" which was as confusing as ever, whereas NF watched more S1 eps of Bab5 and the late Phil the Greek made a rare appearance, not being late at the time. (Shouldn't the thread be "By Royal Appointment" or something? Just askin' like).

Freecell score: 50%, running average 85% (it won't be that for long at this rate).

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, a red corner yog, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toast, 0.91*1.59 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The drizzle continues unabated, though it did chuck it down for 10 minutes or so as a slight variation on a theme.

Entertainment: TWAO. The thing about Everest.

House roughly vacced, partway requiring an emptying of the dust receptacle though I didn't bother beating the filter on the garden wall since it was raining.

Walk (abbreviated) in the endless grey gloom of the afternoon, with added drizzle towards the end thereof to make it that little bit more enjoyable.

Minor potching in the garage & shed, the first revealing the extent of the damp ingress whilst the latter revealed a remarkably large collection of obsolete electronic crap, mostly purchased in "bargain bags" some 40 years or more ago, there seem to be a lot of wafer switches and pots (variable resistor not flower) that I'd completely forgotten about.

The packet of "special quality" resistors & capacitors did indeed measure very close to what it said on the assorted "tins".

The ancient transistors was suitably ancient. One of the wires fell off one transistor so that's a diode now.

Changed the ancient rubber mains plug on the mower extension lead in a "physician heal thyself" moment, the existing example being held together with duct tape (which again does exactly what it says on the tin ).

Tea: chilli con carne (which has matured nicely after its sojourn in the freezer) with more of that pillau rice, some mango slices, a yog, 0.91*1.63 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S16 E7 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. Another one to avoid. Bought: $9k5, Total: $10,521, Sold (back to the original seller): $15k. Well wot a surprise, buy it, fix it, sell it back. Who'd have thunK? Valves on the air suspension, propshaft centre bearing aftermarket replacement, brake calipers refurbished, engine thermostat replaced whilst a coolant leak on some pipes under the inlet manifold was fixed by changing a few o rings.

Trucking Hell S6 E13. Haven't seen much of Michael this series. Thanfully. So that's how you lower the boom on a telehandler (cherry picker type thing). Rory still stars in the titles.

No S17 of Wheeler Dealers today. Some dross called 5th gear recharged is on instead. Ho hum.

Whatever happened to the Likely Lads S1 E4: stone me it was made in 1972.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 January 2023, 22:34.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

I think we shall head to the beach for a walk shortly.
          After that I need to go to the framer to get 2 maps framed. The WifeTM ordered a custom OS map for me for Christmas. It got lost in transit (according to the OS printers) so they did a second one. Both arrived on the same day.
          Next on the job list is last years tax returns for both of us. (Might get procrastinated to tomorrow)
          Then some light gardening, not involving too much digging or heavy lifting, for the sake of my back.
          There’s a possibility I will phone an agent to see what the state of the market is. (Could also get procrastinated until a bit more gardening is done)

Comment

Morning all

A bright morning. Varying levels of cloud scurrying along. No rain forecast until this evening. Currently 11 degrees with a high of 13 expected. Barometer back up to 1021 mBar.

Woke at around 4 am and again around 5 am for unknown reasons. Subsequently very tired when the alarm finally went off and I had to get up.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

And then I watched S1E1 to 4 of The Handmaid's Tale which seems very good; pretty faithful to the book so far, which is no bad thing as it's a good book
            Spooky coincidence! I've recently started that too and have watched up to E4. I had watched the first series when it first came out but I thought I'd finally see how it has progressed so am rewatching S1 as a reminder.

Comment

Beach walk done. Several fossils and nurdles collected.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

It's been a busy morning! Well, it hasn't really, but it felt busy by the standards of the last few weeks

In reality, it largely consisted of me trying to sort out the kitchen a bit more to cope with the addition of the stuff I brought over yesterday, a task which distracted me when I went to make my morning coffee. The coffee is now cold, but I don't mind cold coffee if it went cold while I was doing something useful

Meanwhile, it's turned overcast outside having been a bit sunny earlier. Currently 11°C with 12° coming later, the conifers and other trees have a bit of an undulation thing going on, and the barometers are back up a bit at 1005/1013mB

Now having my cold coffee while waiting for a DPD delivery and wondering what to have for lunch

Comment

Maps taken to framer.

Need an excuse not to start the tax returns...
                  oh look, the sun has come out.

Comment

I don't understand leaving tax returns to the last minute. Mine are usually done in July so I know what my liability is.

Similarly, my year end accounts are done within a couple of weeks and the CT worked out.

I then divvy up the liabilities into monthly payments and pay them over to HMRC. HMRC pays a bit of interest which gets knocked off the bill. I've accumulated about £50 in interest on my CT bill.

Comment

TWO squirrels! There are two squirrels ditzing around on the big lawn, apparently working in concert!

And a female blackbird over near the hedge line; they don't seem to stray far from that, no more than a few feet.

Lunch has been sardine toasties, being the species that swims in tomato sauce

And the delivery arrived: the new Apple TV 4K, which doesn't do anything that the two preceding models can't, but has one of those insanely powerful processors Apple keep coming up with lately. So it all runs much more smoothly; the My5 app in particular is a lot less laggy in its UI than on the older one

The major benefit is presumably for games, but I don't play games on it. Still, it's not as if it's expensive, unlike most Apple stuff

Comment

Working...
                      X