• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All extant bookcases have been installed in the flat, and I believe I'm right in saying there are no unshelved books in the place now - though some are a bit higgledy-piggledy, and the great separation of subjects between the living room and the study is far from complete (and may not be possible anyway)

There are still some books which haven't been brought here yet, though. Not a huge number, and there are still spaces here and there. Everything has been shelved by height, wherever it would fit near to where I was at the time it came into my hand. Luckily, I've always been able to remember where any particular book is in a kind of visual way without requiring any additional ordering such as by author, title, subject, or colour of spine

And once all that was done, I was able to sort out the various things that had accumulated in the office sufficiently to get my desk set up, with the iMac and widescreen monitor upon it

They don't have power yet as their extension/multiway adapter thing got repurposed for the TV and so on in here, but I've got one on the way from Amazon which will arrive tomorrow

Finally, I was then able to move all the bits of the disassembled drawer monster into the spare space in the study, of which there's a goodish bit, so now I'm left both marvelling at the sheer amount of space free in the living room, and wondering what to do with the vast number of DVDs currently taking up what would otherwise be even more such space

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      …wondering what to do with the vast number of DVDs currently taking up what would otherwise be even more such space
      Ah! Ikea do a thing like a very narrow Billy bookcase with many shelves - same height but only 20cm wide, and designed to be hooked together in a row at the top. I have a bit of wall by the living room door that can accommodate three of these as a group and still allow access to the double socket in that corner

This should swallow up most or even all of the DVDs, assuming the box sets go in the 4x3 Kallax unit that's going to take up the last stretch of wall before the door to the balcony

Comment

I still have three books to give you! Make sure there's space for them

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I still have three books to give you! Make sure there's space for them
          No problem, I can fit them in! I'm still looking forward to reading them

Comment

Tea has been a roast beef dinner

I followed the cooker manual's guidance on calculating the cooking time, and it seems they were thinking of someone who likes their beef a bit more well done than I do. I'll stick to the meat thermometer's guidance next time

Still very nice though. I'm not sure what the cooker's up to that makes it better than my previous one, which I always thought was fine, but it does seem to do a very good job of things somehow

Comment

The car earlier was a repeat of the Jeep that is also some kind of jeans advert. And the gold diggers was also a repeat, but I daresay they'll find some new ones eventually

Later, The Repair Shop dealt with, among other things, a stained glass window depicting the Blackpool Tower that somebody had driven over

And then a NEW! series of 24 Hours in A&E which has shifted to the Queens Medical Centre up in Nottingham. That's a place I hope never to find myself in, not because it's bad, but because whenever the local paper reports that somebody from here has been transferred to the QMC it always means they're in an astonishingly bad way; I think it's usually neurological cases like broken spines that get transferred up there. Didn't take very long into this programme before we heard somebody calling somebody else "ducky", so at least we know it's genuinely coming from this region. And as that one was quite depressing, I then watched an old one, which was a bit less dispiriting

Very windy out now, or at least it sounds like it

Goodnight all

Comment

Helped ll2 put her paintings up at local exhibition yesterday. Why am I always helping these old women out with things? Then mistook her glasses for mine and went off with them, for 2nd time. Must put a label on mine, "Not old ratbag glasses"
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning.

Wednesday according to the clock.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Sunless.

Wet.

Not so windy.

Chilly in here at 13.1 deg, 12.5 deg in the kitchen, 12 deg in the leanto.

1012 mBar, 29.884343 in Hg, 759.06 Torr, 14.67789 psi, (up from 1009 last night), 72% RH (GDR hair), 69% (Lidl electric which is closer to the dehumidifier).

Meanwhile on the 6th of April 2019 NF had won £3 less than he'd wagered on some horse race or other and had returned from a birthday party down south to partake of the usual Chinese takeaway, whilst we discussed the joys or otherwise of getting old.

Another curious post apocalyptic dream last night. Probably induced by stuff I read on the news before retiring to bed.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried & put away.

Lunch: a Morrisons small pork pie with chilli sauce, poached tomato and scrambled egg on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toasted crust, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, red unpippy corner yog, 0.91*1.59 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y currently waffling on about direct cremations. How jolly.

Shopping trip to Tesco done dusted washed dried & put away. No eggs. No rice.

Freecell score: 90%, running average 85%.

Tea: chicken in white sauce (why does it explode in the microwave?) with rice (pillau) and peas, some mango segments, a yog, 0.91*1.62 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM (which went <click> for some lying Tory bastard).

Wheeler Dealers S16 E6 1991 Nissan 300ZX: changed to California spec. Bought: $12k8, Total: $13,179, Sold: $15k. They took off a lot of gofaater bits & pieces. And reinstalled the California spec goslower bits & pieces. That EGR valve looks like a pain in the arse to fit if you haven't got a lift. More nonsense on a race track drifting the damn thing. On a wet track since it wouldn't do it when the track was dry.

5USA: NCIS S9 E14 "Life before his eyes".

5: Ferne Britton wandering around that Cornwall. Spooky.

Quest Red: Who do you think you are: that Harry Potter bloke.

More4: Made in the 1980s: The decade that shaped the world.

The last half of E6 and all of E7 of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (1979). Half a lifetime ago.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 January 2023, 00:11.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Low tide in 20 mins, thought I’d go for a walk on the beach.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Dull and damp. Currently 12 degrees with a high of 13 expected. Showers forecast this morning and then remains cloudy for the rest of the day. Barometer down to 1015 mBar.

I thought today was Thursday as I heard a racket outside this morning that seemed like bin collection.

First day back at the primary school over the road.

Comment

Working...
                      X