• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comms are now trying to decimate my shiny sharepoint form. Always appreciate people who look at something 5 mins before a meeting, don't actually use it then complain about it.

Fortunately, I had to leave the meeting to host another one so a far calmer colleague is dealing with it.

Comment

Lunch was ham toasties with the rest of the Serrano ham. I quite like that stuff

We've been given access to production, but it won't work yet because our app needs to be configured with our government department for authorisation purposes. No problem; I added a data migration which initialises a single row in the database representing our department, and with that done we'll be able to log in and set up other departments

Except one of the other devs has now gone off on some argument about pre-existing data corrupting the purity of his unit tests (some of which I had to fix because - for valid reasons - they assumed an empty table), and until he approves the change I can't merge it, and therefore can't push it to production

I'm hoping he'll realise of his own accord that it's not worth arguing over a minor philosophical point before I have to point out that it doesn't bloody matter

Comment

The light shower that was forecast has arrived and is far more enthusiastic than expected.

Comment

FFS, he's still arguing about theoretical purity

Just approve so I can get us into production by teatime!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Except one of the other devs has now gone off on some argument about pre-existing data corrupting the purity of his unit tests (some of which I had to fix because - for valid reasons - they assumed an empty table),
            If his unit tests aren't actually testing the database updates, he's no business assuming any state concerning it. He should have mocked the database access class. And he should be mocked.

(OK, maybe there are valid reasons, but it sounds wrong to me).

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              If his unit tests aren't actually testing the database updates, he's no business assuming any state concerning it. He should have mocked the database access class. And he should be mocked.

(OK, maybe there are valid reasons, but it sounds wrong to me).
              The problem is that Django unit tests are called that, but they're actually integration tests in the sense that they're testing the application's interaction with the database. So his arguments are correct for unit tests, but although the tests in question are called unit tests, that's a misnomer. It's a common misapprehension, originating from the Django devs coming up with the wrong name for their test stuff about fifteen years ago

Anyway he's finally approved, so we're nearly good to go…

Comment

Clocked off at 4pm because I could and there's nothing particularly useful I would be achieving this afternoon.

The rain has stopped but it's still overcast.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Anyway he's finally approved, so we're nearly good to go…
                  Well. The alternative is to take him out and shoot him. I did that on project in France.*

* At least, that's what I told the project management team. I think they expected a "not really", but I enjoyed messing with their minds.

Comment

We have production!

The other devs knocked off about an hour ago, but I figured I'd see it through

Anyway, that ticket's moved to "Done" leaving me with no tickets left, and no pull requests outstanding in GitHub. So I'm knocking off too

Comment

I had a good day. Two bug fixes. One came in last week, and got it fixed this morning. This afternoon we got one from the local national railway, who've just installed the latest release, but still have some servers on the previous one. The dump was only happening on the servers that hadn't been upgrade. Turns out it has been hanging around for at least two years before biting - it was to do with an error condition and an effort at correcting it. It didn't. It dumped. It also was present in the new release, but I'd stopped the error condition happening in the first place this time!

Got the fix for that out within two hours. Also wrote a patch for the old release. And the one before that.

It's the nature of our software and development practices that means that usually we can get fixes out very fast. Quite satisfying. Now drinking some raspberry schnaps from our local Aldi. It's crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X