• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire set, but not lit yet. Smoked mackerel pate made for lunch. Cider lees sourdough underway. Should be ready to eat for lunch tomorrow. I’ve reduced the water content to see if that makes for a better shape of loaf
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Back to the old flat, whence I thought I'd carried off the last of the old computer mags, though I remembered on the way back that there's a few more in a box under some old files. Ah well, I can get them next trip; I reckon they'll just be one more box once separated out, or even less.

Today's haul turned out to be two boxes against yesterday's three. But given how they crippled me then, I adopted the tactic I used with the books of bringing them down in carrier bags and packing them in the car. Can't remember, but I think it was four or five trips.

And having unpacked them at this end, I can confirm that had I ever got around to putting them in the bottom shelves of the bookcases as planned, they would have fitted just nicely (including the ones yet to come) rather than spending years sitting in piles, taking up valuable space I could have used for other purposes

Anybody remember Dragon, famous for the Dragon 32 and 64, making a business machine? It came out the same month that PCW reviewed the Sinclair QL, and presumably vanished again not long after

Oh, and in among them all, I discovered this dusty artefact from c. 2000AD:
      Cover of a brochure for Modemetric Limited, a now-defunct electronics company based in Cheltenham.

Comment

Fire lit.
        The DogTW has had a short walk and is happy.
        More logs have been brought in.
        A few branches have been removed from the largest of the apple trees to get it read to bring out the chainsaws.

​​​​​​….and now my right shoulder is too sore to do anything else, so I’m settling down to Watch S2:E2 of Young Montalbano.

Comment

Late-ish lunch: a roast pork and apple sauce bap

Sunny out now - well, it has been for a while

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Anybody remember Dragon, famous for the Dragon 32 and 64, making a business machine? It came out the same month that PCW reviewed the Sinclair QL, and presumably vanished again not long after
            Never heard of the business machine, what was its model number?

I thought they were well tits up just after the 64 & disk drives came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Data

Dragon Alpha & Dragon Beta. Never knew Generous Electrick had owt to do with them. Arnie never liked stuff like that.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Oh, and in among them all, I discovered this dusty artefact from c. 2000AD:
            Gosh. They were tits up sometime in Q3 2000 IIRC. The Cheltenam office sells tyres is a builders merchants now. .

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9175...7i13312!8i6656

Meanwhile back on the 15th of April 2019 I reminisced about AB Automotive, the worst paid and most unutterably tedious contract I ever endured.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 January 2023, 17:07.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Never heard of the business machine, what was its model number?

I thought they were well tits up just after the 64 & disk drives came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Data

Dragon Alpha & Dragon Beta. Never knew Generous Electrick had owt to do with them. Arnie never liked stuff like that.
              Let me just check the June 1984 edition of PCW that I now have readily to hand because of the miracle of bookcases…

Ah, my mistake: the cover mention of Dragon entering the business market was actually referring to a review of their newly-released disk-based word processor, spreadsheet, and database (probably not relational) for the 64. Apparently the ability to specify data validation criteria for the fields in the database, such as limiting a numeric field to a specific range of values, was "an interesting feature to find on so inexpensive a package"

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Gosh. They were tits up sometime in Q3 2000 IIRC. The Cheltenam office sells tyres is a builders merchants now.
              https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9175...7i13312!8i6656
              Must have been nearer Q4 as I obtained that brochure when I went to see them about a possible contract in July or August of 2000. Until then I hadn't been aware that Cheltenham contained bleak industrial estates of that ilk, having previously only worked and lived within a few minutes' walk of the Promenade and the High Street

Comment

In furniture assembly news, what was the right-hand column of smaller drawers in the humongous c-o-d has been successfully transplanted on to the new plinth and base, thus turning it into more of a filing cabinet suitable for the study

I couldn't be bothered to go on to the stage of doing with the same with the wide drawers, as I'll also have to rearrange the boxes of stuff temporarily piled up in the bedroom for that - though I can then transfer at least some of their contents into the drawers thus provided

Comment

Tea: ribs and chips

The car thing was another clip show

And in a surprise move, they've gone back to S1E1 of the gold hunters, meaning there'll finally be a run of episodes I haven't seen before

Not sure exactly when this series was (and can't be bothered to look it up) but back then the gold price was $1,500/oz rather than the $2,800/oz of the most recent series.

Comment

Ents was QI XL and 2 x The Repair Shop.

Now for an early night as I have to be up at some ungodly hour (before 7am) to head to Woking. One suspects I won't sleep all that well.

Comment

Limited drug intake tonight, let’s hope I don’t stay awake regretting that.

TFBSZ.

Comment

Working...
                      X