• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The car show is back in the UK and today's effort involved a Mark I Mini 850, currently taxed until March.

And the gold diggers persisted in relying on machines that break down constantly

And then I read a bit of Ben Macintyre's Double Cross, about the double agents the Allies used in their deception operation around the D Day landings.

Then it was medical stuff: a new episode of Surgeons on iPlayer, then a new 24 Hours in A&E, followed by an old one

Goodnight all

Comment

^^ I saw my iPlayer app had downloaded a new Surgeons episode and wondered if you too had spotted it!

Morning all

Bright and sunny. Clear sky. Frosty. Currently 1 degree ('feels like' -1) with a high of 6 expected. Barometer up to 1017 mBar.

Went to bed early, fell asleep quickly, woke up with the alarm and felt awake enough that I actually got up at a proper time instead of 'just in time'.

Cold in my little office though. It never seems to warm up properly.

Comment

Morning all
        Frosty out, but CBS.

For those who differentiate days, I notice that it is Friday.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Friday.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky.

Frosty.

Icy.

Cold in here at 10 deg, 9 deg in the kitchen, 4 deg in the leanto, 0.5 deg in the salting house.

1018.5 mBar, 30.076 in Hg, 763.94 Torr, 14.772 psi, (up from 1013 last night), 66% RH (GDR hair), 54% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile in those distant preplague days of yore, I was in the library with a bunch of less "fragant" users than the previous day's had been, went home for a slash, finished a book about Alan Turing, had a nice bonfire to get rid of some rubbish, and noticed doodab had appeared again Specifically In General, RIP.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toasted crust, 2 x slices of toast with marmalade, 1 x with bramble jelly, yellow corner yog, 0.91*1.61 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: some crap on non binary something or other on R4: it rapidly went <click>. TWATO.

'ere, wot happened to that long time staple, the Monday afternoon iRoning play? It's gone. It's The End of Days. .

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the sunshine (quite warm in sheltered spots) and freezing cold.

The snow had turned to ice so the road up the hill was dodgy in places, however came back down from the res via the footpaths and that was borderline lethal until I reached the 3rd pond.

Naturally enough there was a chap wandering about in a thin coat while I had 5 layers on & was still cold. I thought it was a t shirt to start with because he had the sleeves rolled up. Must have been hot. .

Tea: sausage and bacon with onion gravy, some tinned fruit cocktail, a yog, 0.91*1.5x pints of good Glengettie tea.

Good option on the tedious fish: very nice. Living the dream.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S17 E2: 1992 TVR Griffith, alleged 4 litre, actually 4.3 litre. Bought: £15k, Total: £16,749, Sold: £22k. Yet another car I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. The last one of those I saw in the flesh was being freighted up the hill on the back of a recovery truck with the horn sounding constantly. MOT until the end of March. It hasn't failed an MOT since 2006.

Fred Dibnah's Made in Britain: Engines at work: Severn valley railway locomotive boiler works.

Fred Dibhnah's Made in Britain: Chain making & Parys Mountain Anglesey for the 4,000 year old copper mine. Metal spinning works.

Bit of Dr Pimplepopper which I've seen before.

Dial 999 "Thames Division" with that Patrick Troughton.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0931730/?ref_=ttep_ep5

Walking through history: Cornwall, smugglers. Seen it before.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 January 2023, 21:10.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Another sunny but frosty start, though it's expected to warm up a bit: currently 1°C, hitting 5° by lunchtime. The barometers are up some more at 1006/1014mB

None of the usual lot are out and about on the lawn yet, but a mob of the neighbourhood pigeons just flew past my window so I daresay they'll be doubling back for a look around later.

Comment

Over to the old place around lunchtime, whence I carried away the remaining computer magazines along with assorted files and folders and some other stuff, including the Epson FX80 dot matrix printer that goes with the BBC Micro - though I also made good use of it in the 1990s hooked up to the Acorn Archimedes

I also confirmed that, once it's emptied, I can easily carry a 2x2 Kallax unit. But they're slightly too tall to fit through the back door of the car (though only by about 3cm), so they'll have to go in via the hatchback. There are two of them and I don't think they'll both fit at the same time, but they might, which would be handy. Mind you, I need to make sure I've freed up the necessary locations here before bringing them over

I ran into the Finnish neighbour for the third time this week, and she finally realised the probable implication of me carrying boxes out of the place and asked if I was moving out. She seemed quite surprised to discover that I'd lived there for over eighteen years; probably wondering how on earth anybody could stand it for that long

Comment

I was going to get something from the hot food counter for lunch but I forgot. So instead: a roast beef bap

Comment

A new supermarket opened yesterday. It is so shiny. Yes it is one of those cheap ones with an aisle of crap. I went to have a look and brought something from the aisle of crap.

Today I spent all day working on something to find that it wasn't needed once I finished.

But at least it is Friday
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    TFBSZ
                    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    A new supermarket opened yesterday. It is so shiny. Yes it is one of those cheap ones with an aisle of crap. I went to have a look and brought something from the aisle of crap.

Today I spent all day working on something to find that it wasn't needed once I finished.

But at least it is Friday
                    Turn around 3 times & your house will be full of crap:

Meanwhile on the 16th of Aprl 2019 I watched "P.S. I love you" while NF watched "Oblivion" having managed to view rather more than the 10 minutes of it I watched at my last attempt.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 January 2023, 19:38.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tea: pork chops with chips and beans, and very nice it was too

Accompanied by Trucking Hell

The car earlier was a TVR Griffith 430, though they thought it was a 400 when they started. Turned out it was an ex works car, and one of TVR's drivers had got the factory to upgrade it after the original engine started making an odd noise

And the gold hunters continued their battle with machinery that often seems to be more trouble than it's worth

Comment

Working...
                      X