• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a recycling bin out on the side road which claimed to belong to next-door-but-one and was empty apart from a couple of things in the bottom apparently deposited by passers-by. So I trundled it in, deposited the six Ikea boxes and other packaging that have so far been opened, thereby filling it, and trundled it back out again

This means it's now possible to get into the bathroom and the kitchen without risk of breaking my neck tripping over vast amounts of cardboard, so lunch is on

Comment

Enjoying sitting in a meeting until I realised I'm the only person in the meeting whose mother tongue is English and everyone else in the international team is fluent in English....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Lunch was chicken, tomato and lentil soup with wholemeal bread

And I just had time to quickly assemble the carcass of the three-wide-drawers module, though I haven't had time to fit it yet

Comment

Just sat in on a consultation being run by CCS about upcoming changes to the DOS framework. I felt like a zippy in my breakout session as I was the only person talking. Very hard work for the facilitators.

Comment

I found out yesterday that if you call a function from outside of SAP and miss out an obligatory parameter, instead of failing, it uses the initial value of that parameter. So if it's an integer, 0, if a string, ''. Seems wrong to me. It was during a Teams session with a customer. Super nice bloke. We both worked in MVS back in the early 90s before going to midrange. Techies are great.

Anyway, dinner yesterday was slow cooked beef, guiness and aubergine stew. My word it was good. You should try it. With dumplings on top - proper lard ones. They don't sell lard here... we had to break into our second to last pack.

It's very thundery here. I went out to post a couple of letters just now and then of course it start to rain. Not too badly, thankfully. On the way got a phonecall from a scammer. He was so relieved I speak English. "Hello sir, did you receive the email from DHL we sent, regardings customs charges".

Hung up, blocked number. But it appeared to be a local number.

I suppose I could have answered - yes I did. And I deleted that as a scam, you scamming scammer, and then hung up...
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I found out yesterday that if you call a function from outside of SAP and miss out an obligatory parameter, instead of failing, it uses the initial value of that parameter. So if it's an integer, 0, if a string, ''. Seems wrong to me. It was during a Teams session with a customer. Super nice bloke. We both worked in MVS back in the early 90s before going to midrange. Techies are great.

Anyway, dinner yesterday was slow cooked beef, guiness and aubergine stew. My word it was good. You should try it. With dumplings on top - proper lard ones. They don't sell lard here... we had to break into our second to last pack.

It's very thundery here. I went out to post a couple of letters just now and then of course it start to rain. Not too badly, thankfully. On the way got a phonecall from a scammer. He was so relieved I speak English. "Hello sir, did you receive the email from DHL we sent, regardings customs charges".

Hung up, blocked number. But it appeared to be a local number.

I suppose I could have answered - yes I did. And I deleted that as a scam, you scamming scammer, and then hung up...
              I would have said, "yes I did but I can only send a cheque, who do I post it to?"

Comment

Walk briskly walked in the very close evening air, red and green rings closed

Not sunny now as the sky is covered with grey cotton wool. I'm not sure if we're going to get a storm, but it's humid enough for one

I had three remaining modules to make up to complete the carcass of the chest of drawers after doing the big one at lunchtime, and they kept preying on my mind, so as I'd finally got properly up to speed on exactly how those bits go together, I took an executive decision to spend an hour this afternoon finishing them. So I now have a completed carcass, and just have to spend the evening assembling nine drawers of various sizes

It turned out there were two items missing, being a couple of metal pegs related to what are apparently called ratchet bolts - those things you put in a hole and twist which somehow locks them to a peg thing. These particular ones are used to hold the various modules together, and as far as I can tell, I'd hit on a configuration (I used one of their build-your-own-combination things) which left me two short at the end

But they aren't crucial in the place they're lacking. I went on the Ikea website and was able to order them to be sent free of charge - I don't even have to pay postage, which is pretty good really. But when they arrive, it remains to be seen if I can be bothered to take the top off again, undo the couple of bolts that are in place on that module, drop them in, and put it back together. Probably not, but at least they won't get away with shorting me on parts

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I would have said, "yes I did but I can only send a cheque, who do I post it to?"
                  Evil. I like it.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Assembly of the Chester Draws has finally been completed

I got it down to around eight minutes to assemble a drawer and then it takes a bit of fiddling to get them properly situated on the runners. So for nine of them, it took me a couple of hours or so in total, what with going back and forth, sorting out parts, and so on.

Knackered now, but with lots of storage space

Comment

Being in need of something quick and involving minimal effort, tea has been chunky battered haddock with chips and beans

Comment

Working...
                      X