• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water temperature

Birs 14.4 °C
    Rhein 19.6 °C

Temperature 24.8 °C
    Sunshine 10 of 10 min
    Precipitation 0 mm/h
    Wind speed 5 km/h
    Wind direction E
    Wind gusts 13 km/h
    Relative humidity 63%
    Pressure 983 hPa

Expected high of 30°C. Watched Lupin last night. Ate home made burgers.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Morning all

Overcast and signs of wet on the patio tiles. Currently 19 degrees, high of 22 expected. Will be mostly cloudy with a chance of rain around lunchtime. Barometer up a tiny bit to 1018 mbar.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
      Operation 'PLUTO' (Pipe-Line Under The Ocean) begins construction under the English Channel 1944

I read up on this, it was built to facilitate Operation Overlord by ensuring there were sufficient supplies of petrol and such like in France.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

As prophesied
        Yep!

Lovely lie in had, due to start work at 11. HWMBO is now on his way to the airport and back home.

Dinner was delicious, service was excellent. Very much recommend it if you're in town and want a special treat (it's certainly not cheap!).

Due to a significant portion of Shaftsbury Avenue being closed for roadworks, and many roads in Soho closed to give restaurants outside table space, the Uber driver applied common sense and ignored the frankly ridiculous diversion the app the was telling him to take and dropped us off such that we only needed to take a short walk along Old Compton Street and up.

Comment

Eek Jr 1 is in Birmingham with Mrs Eek to find out about the city and has now seen where the course is taught (the next series of All That Glitters is being filmed there at the moment)

Main take home from the information is that the course is max 15 students a year, and from chatting to the security guards most are from overseas and rich, one uses a McLaren as their day to day transport and 2 others have new mercs.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Eek Jr 1 is in Birmingham with Mrs Eek to find out about the city and has now seen where the course is taught (the next series of All That Glitters is being filmed there at the moment)

Main take home from the information is that the course is max 15 students a year, and from chatting to the security guards most are from overseas and rich, one uses a McLaren as their day to day transport and 2 others have new mercs.
            Welcome to the realities of UK eyer ejumakashun.

Oiks roaring up & down in vehicles the price of a modest (& not so modest) house.

One oik had a rather nice Ford Mustang V8 that I rather liked.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 August 2021, 11:41.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Supposed to be a meteor shower tonight and, as usual, sky has gone all cloudy. Nasty little meteors always time it wrong!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A couple of small sausage rolls from Waitrose were warmed up in the oven and scoffed for lunch.

I see that Norton are in the process of buying Avast, so I've cancelled my subscription renewal. From various discussions, it would seem that buying AV software is a waste of time for the most part and there's other tools one can utilise. I'll be investigating those next.

Comment

Another hectic day, due to having found a rather obscure bug in my data pipeline thing once it was in production. Luckily we haven't made anything that depends on it yet, and a bit of sleuthing soon tracked it down. In fact, writing the regression test is going to be harder than fixing it, as it's really down to a particular aspect of the way SQL databases define the concept of "order" and a resultant undefined behaviour. It doesn't even fail exactly the same way on my local DB with exactly the same data, so the tricky thing isn't getting the test to pass, it's getting it to fail in a meaningful way in the first place

But lunch has still been had; just clearing out leftovers from the freezer today: a couple of Southern not-fried drumsticks, and a couple of small spare ribs

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    A couple of small sausage rolls from Waitrose were warmed up in the oven and scoffed for lunch.

I see that Norton are in the process of buying Avast, so I've cancelled my subscription renewal. From various discussions, it would seem that buying AV software is a waste of time for the most part and there's other tools one can utilise. I'll be investigating those next.
                    I don't have much to do with Windows nowadays, but I have heard from informed sources that the built-in Windows Defender is all you really need

Have a look at SwiftOnSecurity's https://decentsecurity.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I don't have much to do with Windows nowadays, but I have heard from informed sources that the built-in Windows Defender is all you really need

Have a look at SwiftOnSecurity's https://decentsecurity.com/
                      Once windows stopped users running as root (via UAC and nudging) it became a lot more secure.

Defender is pretty good, I do occasional bootable scans with others in case it has missed something.

AVG/Trend/Sophos etc.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-bootab...-tools-2625785

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X