• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Grey day out, and probably turning rainy soon. Currently a mere 6°C, and not expected to get higher than 8°; the barometers are down some more at 986/994mB

My laptop seemed reluctant to wake from sleep this morning, which I think is because it was pretty cold: the bedroom, I just realised, got down to 13° overnight. I believe 10° is the official low end of its operating range, but it's possible the bedroom was colder earlier. I think I'll have to give in and start closing the window at night, no matter how much I like the fresh air

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

In the long ago when I bought the house I painted the living room some creamy white colour, the kitchen is a greeny white colour, the front room office is "Daffodil white" which is rather more yellow than expected, the hall is some other colour off white, while the back bedroom and the box room are orchid white, the back bedroom taking two coats to cover the previous pink.

The only room that's unpainted is the front bedroom, which, being blue, I left alone.
      The other rooms in the flat are largely in shades of white, with a subtle hint of green to the bathroom, which I'm fine with. The living room was the only one I'm thinking of repainting, because the very light shade of blue it currently has is a colour I've always found extremely insipid. But on the other hand, it isn't offensive or annoying, so I'll give it a while before making any decisions

Comment

Morning all
        It's a bit wet and wild out there.

In other news... "Since the projects are being closed down and we're getting rid of several permies you work with, we won't need you from the end of this month. But because your contract specifies 1 month on either side and we would like to be reasonable about this (I think also they want to screw over the bean counter who decided this was a good idea), we'll pay for December too, but will pick up your laptop next week"

It's not a full army, but it's not to be sniffed at. Particularly since I was only going to be working a max of 8 days next month anyway, and now it's 20 days on the paperwork
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

The other rooms in the flat are largely in shades of white, with a subtle hint of green to the bathroom, which I'm fine with. The living room was the only one I'm thinking of repainting, because the very light shade of blue it currently has is a colour I've always found extremely insipid. But on the other hand, it isn't offensive or annoying, so I'll give it a while before making any decisions
          Fashions keep changing, stuff in the online news tells about decoration that knock tens of thousands off your property's value. Been doing a lot of decorating recently, using light colours but maybe I'll paint it all black as that may be the big thing when the house is up for sale.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Mundane laundry on, "time saver" cycle

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Morning all
              It's a bit wet and wild out there.

In other news... "Since the projects are being closed down and we're getting rid of several permies you work with, we won't need you from the end of this month. But because your contract specifies 1 month on either side and we would like to be reasonable about this (I think also they want to screw over the bean counter who decided this was a good idea), we'll pay for December too, but will pick up your laptop next week"

It's not a full army, but it's not to be sniffed at. Particularly since I was only going to be working a max of 8 days next month anyway, and now it's 20 days on the paperwork
              Free money? Excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Fashions keep changing, stuff in the online news tells about decoration that knock tens of thousands off your property's value. Been doing a lot of decorating recently, using light colours but maybe I'll paint it all black as that may be the big thing when the house is up for sale.
                I did wonder if the outgoing owner had redecorated in bland and inoffensive shades ahead of sale. Always used to be the thing, I believe - magnolia the lot before putting it on the market.

Comment

Email from the solicitor asking me to confirm that I still want to exchange and complete on the same day, next Monday. Of course I do. In my various researches, I haven't found any explanation of the customary delay between the two that confers any benefit to either the buyer or the seller

Comment

Morning all (just)

METAR EGFF 211120Z AUTO 12017KT 3600 RA BKN007/// OVC011/// //////CB 09/09 Q0985 RERA

It's horrid out there today and gales are forecast for this afternoon.

Mind how you go.

Comment

Links are up

Comment

Working...
                      X