• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on the assumption that this cold (or Covid) won't go away quickly and I shouldn't really be spreading it far and wide, I've cancelled the planned trip to Sainsbury's. Instead, I've ordered online - although the impending New Year means deliveries are mostly booked out until next week, they had a few £1 delivery slots for Saturday evening (the ones where it's in a four hour range until the day itself, when they tell you which hour it'll be) which works for me as I won't be going anywhere then

First time I've ordered home delivery from them in this place! But I've seen it happening for others, so they should be able to get here OK

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Home again!

Complete with five boxes almost entirely of books - it seems there's an equal number still up in the loft with other things of mine

The books are mainly from childhood and teenage years which, given my generation, includes things like a book about the Bermuda Triangle. I think there's one about Nessie in there too; there ought to be. The Seventies really were a rather odd time, with all kinds of bizarre fringe notions becoming virtually mainstream

A bunch of school textbooks too, so I can start brushing up my Latin
      Given the 70's reference and a guess as to your geeky-ness - Were several of them books by Erich Von Daniken?

Gold of the Gods, Chariots otG etc

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

Given the 70's reference and a guess as to your geeky-ness - Were several of them books by Erich Von Daniken?

That's the loony! Couldn't remember his name.

Give me Desmond Morris any day of the week.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Although I'm not a one for those kind of things, I've been looking at New Year's resolutions as I have a solid goal for 2025 - to walk from the West coast to East coast of Scotland for The Great Outdoors Challenge in May.

One slight drawback being that I do not have the skills, experience or kit for such an endeavour, which is where the resolutions come into play.

I have taken navigation and first-aid courses, so I'm part way there on the skills front. I just need to refine my wild camping skills and get the experience of lots of hill-walking over continuous days, and start to obtain my gear over the next few months (a decent sleeping bag being the main purchase).

I'll let you know how I get on over the course of 2024.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Plainly insufficient attention has been paid to "Ancient Aliens" on Blaze, wherein the said gentleman appears distressingly frequently, though not as frequently as his fright haired GrecoAmerican friend does.

However, The Truth is Out There:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/mod-to...t-file-1618160

Trust No One. .

Oddly enough Derek Von Heiniken was on Blaze this very evening when Ancient Aliens spent 2 hours talking to Captain Kirk.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 December 2023, 23:34.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

Only Gold of the Gods by Derek von Heineken! As well as that and the Bermuda Triangle and Loch Ness Monster ones, there was a lesser-known one by Colin Wilson, and a thing called Stalking the Wild Pendulum which asserts that "The universe is a hologram. And so is the brain--a hologram interpreting a holographic universe. - We can instantly reclaim any information ever known" which, TBH, seems unlikely

Comment

Tea: lamb scouse, mainly because it has a fair amount of vegetable matter in it and I'm hoping it will help with this cold. Also, I could just get it out of the freezer and reheat it in the microwave, and I don't really feel up to any more effort than that in the kitchen

Comment

Today's matinee was David Lean's Great Expectations (1946). I don't believe I've watched this all the way through before, though I'll have seen chunks of just about all of it at odd times when it's been on the box over the years. Anyway, excellent stuff

And later, a new episode of Inside the Factory about Yorkshire puds, Aunt Bessie's to be precise. Interesting sidebars on roasting beef on a spit to annoy the French and how to make good gravy, and Gregg managed to avoid calling the factory workers fat this time, at least on camera

And then I read some more of Erotic Vagrancy in which Liz Taylor's life continues to be a masterclass in how not to live

Early night now, in the hope of it bringing about a miracle cure of this cold

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
                    MMtSH doesn’t seem to understand the concept of lying in.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Only Gold of the Gods by Derek von Heineken! As well as that and the Bermuda Triangle and Loch Ness Monster ones, there was a lesser-known one by Colin Wilson, and a thing called Stalking the Wild Pendulum which asserts that "The universe is a hologram. And so is the brain--a hologram interpreting a holographic universe. - We can instantly reclaim any information ever known" which, TBH, seems unlikely
                      You may laugh but Holograms may be the way we end up understanding our Universe.. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-anniversary1/
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X