• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all
    A bit wet and windy out.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Dull, cloudy, windy, damp looking. Currently 12 degrees ('feels like' 9) and that's the high for the day. Rain expected this afternoon.

Up early as the meters are being changed today and they could arrive any time from now until noon. Once that's done, I'll be heading back home.

Dinner yesterday was ok. The pub we went to was dead, I suspect it was hectic at lunchtime. Had a good laugh though. Presents swapped and Mum seems both enamoured and frustrated by the the jigsaw puzzle I picked up from Kew Gardens. Hopefully she'll stick with it.
      Last edited by ladymuck; 27 December 2023, 08:27.

Comment

Morning denizens

Rainy grey day out; apparently there's a storm. They should stop naming them, it only encourages them. Currently 10°C with a possible 12° this afternoon, and the barometers are back down again at 990/998mB

I had a better night's sleep last night. I didn't sleep well at my sister's place, probably partly because of not being at home, but I think also because the evening chatter about wills and executors (I'm one, along with my brother) and so on was preying on my mind. It's somehow more real when you get to the point of discussing how best to dispose of the contents of the house

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Dinner yesterday was ok. The pub we went to was dead, I suspect it was hectic at lunchtime. Had a good laugh though. Presents swapped and Mum seems both enamoured and frustrated by the the jigsaw puzzle I picked up from Kew Gardens. Hopefully she'll stick with it.
          I used to enjoy a quiet pub on Boxing Night

Don't know if any of the small number around here were open. As I understand it, when this area of the city was developed in Victorian times and into the 1930s, there was a strong Quaker tendency among the bourgeoisie around here (the Friends Meeting House is at the bottom corner of my road), and they inclined against public houses for some reason. So there's a 1930s one amidst the terraces nearby, but that's been turned into a "sports bar"; an old pub by the park, which was heavily modified in the late 1980s; and another old one about fifteen or twenty minutes walk away the other side of the neighbourhood, also modified in the 1980s (same brewery), where a village used to be before it was absorbed into the city

Comment

^^^ How many boxes of stuff did you bring home? Just askin' like. .

Morning.

Wednesday.

Grey.

Dark.

Dank.

Windy.

Wet.

Sunless (very: it's as if it hasn't been turned on).

Less chilly side of chilly in here at 13.7 deg, 12.5 deg in kitchen & leanto.

996.5 mBar, 29.42662 in Hg, 747.436 Torr, 14.453 psi, (down from 1008 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 73% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 9th of August 2019 I had M&S haddock for tea (they hadn't upset me yet: that happened in 2020 with their stupid queuing system) whereas NF's neighbours downstairs were having smelly fish for tea leading to an urge to close the kitchen window thusly ending the through flat cooling system.

Freecell score: 100%, running average: 86%.

Wet wet wet out there.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: R4 waffling on about David Bowie.

I observe that "The Conqueror (1956) is on Leg End. You can almost see the radioactive glow.

Tea: soup etc. plus another xmas pud with custard.

Entertainment: UFO bollox on blaze. Last 10 minutes of "where eagles dare(1969)".

Vera. S12 E5 "The Rising Tide" Nice to see Sgt Bob Cryer again.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 27 December 2023, 22:10.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Talking of wills. My parents had mirror wills giving everything to each other and then to my brother and I.

I suppose we ought to get Mum's will updated to reflect that my Dad is no longer around?

Comment

The agency have finally got around to emailing me confirmation of the extension to February 2025, so I suppose I'm officially boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  The agency have finally got around to emailing me confirmation of the extension to February 2025, so I suppose I'm officially boomed!
                  Officially Boomed is good!

Possibly 2nd only to Technically Boomed!!

Comment

Lunch: Heinz tomato soup with seedy bloomer toast

Comment

There's a narrow strip of land at the bottom of my parents' garden that's registered separately at the Land Registry. This bit, only a few feet wide, was somehow left out when the area - formerly orchards and market gardens belonging to the Laxton family - was developed in the early 1950s; I vaguely remember something about there being a culvert running along there, but there's no trace of that nowadays.

It somehow ended up with no owner so twenty or more years ago, my parents were able to take ownership of it and it's registered in their name.

For decades, they and their neighbours have been turning down property developers who want to build more houses on the large back gardens there. But the neighbours are all dying off too and it's probable that eventually, the land will be built on.

So now my siblings and I are inheriting it all, the idea is to sell the house and garden but retain ownership of that tiny bit. It's called a ransom strip in law, and it means that the putative future developer would have to either buy it off us for a princely sum, or find some way to work around a sixty-by-four-foot bit of land slap bang in the middle of their development

We haven't decided yet whether to bother keeping it, but it sounds like it could be fun

Comment

Working...
                      X