• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all

Clear sky with high level wispy fluff. Damp from yesterday's rain. No breeze worthy of note. Currently 9 degrees ('feels like' 7) with a high of 11 expected. Further rain forecast late morning before reverting back to a clear afternoon. Barometer up a touch to 992 mBar.

Received a message yesterday evening that I wasn't needed in the office at 0830 this morning and that the meeting can be attended on Teams. Good job as I slept through the alarm that would have gotten up for it.

On remembering to put the bins out shortly before bed time last night (back to Tuesdays next week) I noticed one had been knocked over by the wind and the other two simply displaced.

Comment

Morning.

Wednesday.

Dreaming of testing WDG chips for Marconi again: it's a mere 43 years since that mattered for Skynet.

Damply dry.

Calm.

Grey sky one side, blue sky the other.

Wanly sunny.

Chilly in here at 13.1 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 11.5 deg in the leanto.

986 mBar, 29.11656 in Hg, 739.56 Torr, 14.3 psi, (up from 985 last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 12th of August 2019 the lovely full moon had effects on the local inhabitants of NF's locale leading to the presence of plod in some considerable numbers in the late evening & subsequently overnight.

Shopping trip to Morrisons in the sunshine done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

It rained on me but the rainbow was nice.

Shopping trip to Aldi and Tesco in the sunshine done dusted washed dried sanitised & put way.

It rained on me a lot on the way back.

Met an ex-colleague from Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde (his bit didn't move down the docks) who retired last July & is still enjoying it. .

Lunch: baked beans etc.

As expected, as soon as I started buying Alternative teabags and shortly before the last packet of Glengettie leaf tea (BBE 2016) was consumed, lo!, voila!, Glengettie teabags appear in the shops again. So I bought two packets.

Entertainment: TWATO <click> when it was too irritating to bear.

Freecell score: 100% (of 24), running average: 86%.

The Massacre that shook the Empire on PBS: Amritsar.

Her War, Her Story: WWII: little old ladies telling stories of what they did in WWII. Including decoding Enigma.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: PM <click>

Freecell score: 88%, running average: 86%.

Nazi Megastructures on 5 select: Not Nazi as such, rather Japanese: the attack prep & the attack itself on Pearl Harbour.

Thing about the Algerian terrorists who wanted to crash a plane into the Eiffel Tower, thankfully offed by French special services.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 January 2024, 23:10.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Whilst waiting for my crumpets to toast, I glanced up at the refuse collection calendar issued by the council. Rubbish collection is tomorrow, not today, this week. Next week it will be on Wednesday and thereafter reverts to Tuesdays. Oh well.

Comment

The forecast rain has started during the forecast time period

Comment

My rubbish collection has gone back one day too. Gosh, how exciting can life get?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning all.

A watery sun is shining here for the first time in a week. Although the forecast says no rain, I don’t believe a word of it.

Mr C is looking after his cholesterol so I’m off to a skimmed milk new year. I have my full fat milk powder at the ready.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Lunch: roast beef cob (white)

A message from the GP surgery tells me they're closed until further notice due to flooding. I could have told them that would happen from knowing the park they're next to in my student days. When it rains at all heavily, a stream rises in the park and flows down over the path next to where the surgery was built and onwards directly towards them; they're a bit below the path. This is probably why that location used to just have a patch of trees between the park and the rising ground on which the sixth form college sits, but nowadays it seems they'll build on places known to flood frequently without giving it a second thought

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  My rubbish collection has gone back one day too. Gosh, how exciting can life get?
                  I think our rubbish collection was on Tuesday as usual, but it's unlikely the servants management company staff were here on Monday to put the bins out. That probably also applies to the week before. I expect all the bins, of which there are a good number, are full and will remain so until after next week's collection

Comment

The sun has come out and is reflecting off my monitor.

One day I will get around to dismantling the desk and turning it around.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Lunch: roast beef cob (white)

A message from the GP surgery tells me they're closed until further notice due to flooding. I could have told them that would happen from knowing the park they're next to in my student days. When it rains at all heavily, a stream rises in the park and flows down over the path next to where the surgery was built and onwards directly towards them; they're a bit below the path. This is probably why that location used to just have a patch of trees between the park and the rising ground on which the sixth form college sits, but nowadays it seems they'll build on places known to flood frequently without giving it a second thought
                      There's a good reason "Brook House" down the end of the road is so called.

Though said brook is now culverted under the road and under the canal straight into the river.

Prior to that it flowed down to the bottom of the garden of Brook house, along a ditch at the bottom of what were fields back in the day, until it reached the stream that flows through a much larger culvert under the canal* & thence into the river.

*This is the culvert that was blocked in 1992 flooding the gardens of the entire row, thusly reminding us of why Brook House is so named.

Even more inneresting was reading in a newpaper of the suggested use of said brook for sewage disposal for Prospect Place (what the little row of houses was called before the other terraces across the road blocked the view).
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 January 2024, 17:01.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X