• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's quite enough of that for one week. Let the weekend commence!

Comment

Tea: roast gammon with chips, beans and fried eggs

Accompanied by a bit of Trucking Hell in which Crouch Recovery dealt with a lorry stuck in a muddy verge on the A5. Looked from the fence as though it was just by the land near Rugby where all the radio masts used to live

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Truth (2015) in which there's a big kerfuffle about whether CBS News was speaking sooth about GW Bush skiving off when he was supposed to be in the National Guard dodging Vietnam, and indeed whether he only got to dodge because of his rich father. It's true, we all know it's true, everybody knew it was true then; but American politics being some kind of pocket universe unrelated to reality meant that everybody who revealed the truth got ****ed over so that Bush could win an election. I'm hoping that the unbelievably simplistic analysis to determine whether the documents in question were made on a 1970s typewriter or in Microsoft Word wasn't as bad as it's depicted, because I could have told them every single aspect of typographical relevance in two minutes from the knowledge of typography I had by the age of fifteen (and of Word somewhat later, of course), and it's a strange thing if the election of the ruler of the world rests on such bulltulip as was seen in the film. But the film itself is fine; it's no The Post or Spotlight but it tells its story well enough

And then a rewatch of Zero Dark Thirty as a reminder of what the ruler of the world achieved, and failed to achieve. I wonder if Americans appreciate the irony of a black man cleaning up his mess after he'd gone

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Saturday.

Box nearly hit the wall after the latest update had it declaring that it couldn't find the network, so I had breakfast instead.

Dry.

Blue sky.

Sun coming up like thunder.

Cold side of chilly in here at 11.2 deg, 10.5 deg in the kitchen, 9 deg in the leanto, 4 deg in the salting house.

1015.5 mBar, 29.9876 in Hg, 761.687 Torr, 14.728 psi, (up from 1010 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 68% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 14th of August 2019 it was grey dark dank dreary damp & sunless, which is par for the course around here, though it was a tad warmer than today at 19.8 deg.

Entertainment: the Oz customs thing coz I forgot to watch the followon yesterday afternoon & need to know WTF happened to the chap travelling with the piano (electric, not grand).

Said miscreant had left the country & no drugs were found in the keyboard, then they took it apart & found 4 sets of card skimming devices secreted inside.

Young lady (a Brit) with undeclared carrots (from NZ): she cried a bit & got away without a fine. I suppose NZ carrots are less likely to be problematic than carrots from elsewhere.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the sunshine, though warm it ain't, it's still warmer than the shade.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: listened to The News Quiz Review of 2023 yesterday so <click>.

Shopping trip to Boots (vouchers expire on the 9th): zero purchases. Met an old neighbour in Boots who remarked on my late mother's probable opinion of the current state of her house under the new management of her dear grandson.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Tea: spag bol, last portion of bol.

Freecell score: 100%, running average: 86%.

Entertainment: Maigret S3 E13 (1962) "The Amateurs": the one where the burglar gets offed and there's a spate of armed robberies.

Book.

Strange Evidence: rivers of blood. Dogs destroying a car. Sky portal. Strange noise. Red sprites. More unutterable bollox from Blaze.

Bits of "Columbiana" and bits of something else I can no longer remember.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 January 2024, 10:23.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Fairly sunny out, though there seems to be cloud gathering now. Up to 5°C now which is as good as it gets, and heading down to 1° tonight. The barometers are right back up there at 1006/1014mB

Comment

Afternoon all

Started off overcast with dark flecks in the clouds and now there's patches of blue making an appearance. Currently 7 degrees ('feels like' 5) and that's the high for the day. No rain forecast for a change. Barometer notably up to 1017 mBar.

Lazy day so far. Done nothing of note and will likely continue in that manner for the rest of the day.

Comment

Tea has been kebab and chips

I managed to make it to the kebab shop and back without tripping over and half killing myself this time, which made a nice change

Comment

As expected, today has been a very lazy day. I did, however, cook! I had some chicken thighs in the freezer that needed using up so had notions of a chicken and mushroom casserole that ended up more like a pie filling. So, having had some for tea, I have portioned out the remainder which will get encased in some pastry at a later date. For now, it'll go in the freezer.

Comment

Ents was Digging for Britain for the most part. Plus some YouTube vids and other tat.

On watching the Graham Norton show, I was made aware of a new TV series, Interview with the Vampire, on iPlayer. Season 1 has been downloaded. Season 2 is apparently on its way but I didn't pay sufficient attention as to when (i.e. whether it is currently being filmed or ready for release).

Comment

Working...
                      X