• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's major motion picture premiere may not have been a premiere as it's been on TV pretty often over the years, but I don't recall ever seeing it, or at least not from start to finish. Anyway, it was The Guns of Navarone (1961) and while it may be showing its age a bit, it's still very good

Though they could get away with a lot of obvious nonsense in those days. One bullet in the back just above the waist: keels over dead rather than swearing and fighting back. German tanks and artillery preparing for an amphibious assault: they were lined up next to each other by the beach like they were parking outside Asda. And many similar examples

And then a couple more episodes of S1 of The Wire, because all the pieces matter

This afternoon and evening have also involved a lot of text messages about books, furniture, kitchen appliances, and other stuff at my parents' house that I may or may not want. I suppose it all has to be dealt with sooner rather than later, and all those pieces matter in one way or another too

Goodnight all

Comment

The sky has cleared. The Dog has been out and done the needful. Might take him for a walk soon.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Saturday.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky in parts.

Chillier side of chilly at 12.9 deg in here, 11.5 deg in the kitchen, 11 deg in the leanto.

980 mBar, 28.939 in Hg, 735.06 Torr, 14.21 psi, (up from 979 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 68% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 27th of August 2019 Scruff paid a visit, Eek turned down a renewal, and Smithsonian channel showed a programme about nukes. I miss Smithsonian channel.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the bright sunshine and cold wind.

Lunch: baked spud etc.

Entertainment: 5 minutes of the Messerschmitt bubble car on Wheeler Dealers.

They've started making an electrick version.

Ditto the BMW Isetta.

Freecell score: 94%, running average:86%.

Tea: spag bol etc.

Entertainment: UFO bollox on Blaze.

Dixon of Dock Green S2 E13 "Father in law": George's daughter gets married.

Maigret S4 E5 "A man condemned (1963)".

The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre "Marriage of convenience (1960)". Harry H. Corbett as a "Scottish" copper again: he's called Jock. . I thought I'd seen him in something similar: he was in Edgar Lustgarten's Scotland Yard "Wings of Death" a couple of weeks (or 60 years) ago.

Strange Evidence. More Blaze bollox.

Spanish Customs thing on DMAX+1. More smuggled cigarettes. And a French couple who opt to have their spaniel put down because they're not prepared to pay for quarantine on the way back from Morocco, saved by the vet. Suitcase with two turtle shells (large) a sword made from a swordfish, an alligator skull, and some claws. Still feeling sorry for the dog.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 February 2024, 23:42.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Dull and overcast. Not raining at present but there seems to be intermittent showers due this afternoon. Currently 10 degrees with a high of 11 expected. Barometer up to 997 mBar.

Yesterday, I went for a flat viewing up near the Pitshanger area. Very, very nice flat but, being lazy, the longer walk to the station may annoy me. Roughly equidistant between West Ealing and Ealing Broadway stations. There are busses but then that's an extra £1.75 on every trip for a marginal 10 min time saving (assuming no wait time).

Off to see another flat today. Which, I suspect, will be nowhere near as nice.

Comment

Morning denizens

Rather a grey day, though there are tiny hints of blue sky here and there. And the cloud seems fairly thin, so I wouldn't go so far as to say it's gloomy - although there's a 40% chance of showers in the next hour or two. Currently 8°C and maybe creeping up to 9° soon, while the barometers are back up a little at 972/979mB

Comment

Just finished baking some sausage rolls. They're cooling down, soon to provide a delicious lunch

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Just finished baking some sausage rolls. They're cooling down, soon to provide a delicious lunch
                It worked! They've turned out extremely well

Comment

As expected today's flat was not a patch on yesterday's.

Took a walk around the Pitshanger Lane area to check it out. There's many pros and cons to the location.

Sadly the main con is the usual cost of moving. Would have to take a huge chunk of cash out the LtdCo to pay for deposits etc. at the wrong end of the tax year, unless I can get the move date pushed into April. It's doubly annoying because the letting agency doesn't seem to be part of the zero deposit scheme.

I didn't expect to find somewhere so quickly and had thought I would be looking at moving April/May, maybe June.

More (over)thinking required to see what I can do.

Comment

Got through to the Chinese on the fifth attempt (two engaged, two rang out). My order will be ready for collection at eight

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      As expected today's flat was not a patch on yesterday's.

Took a walk around the Pitshanger Lane area to check it out. There's many pros and cons to the location.

Sadly the main con is the usual cost of moving. Would have to take a huge chunk of cash out the LtdCo to pay for deposits etc. at the wrong end of the tax year, unless I can get the move date pushed into April. It's doubly annoying because the letting agency doesn't seem to be part of the zero deposit scheme.

I didn't expect to find somewhere so quickly and had thought I would be looking at moving April/May, maybe June.

More (over)thinking required to see what I can do.
                      A DL? Just keep it less than £10k and pay back within 9 months and one day of the company year end. Speak to your accountant.

Comment

Working...
                      X