• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just received my Notice of Intended Prosecution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Point of order. Any road with streetlights at regular intervals is de facto a 30mph limit unless otherwise stated by relevant signage and repeaters. Why do you think there are NSL repeaters along urban motorways?

30mph zones and NSL zones don't require repeaters.

So not sure what you mean by NSL repeaters along urban motorways. Unless you mean 60mph or 50mph repeaters (which are not NSL).
    NSL on a motorway or dual carriage is still the NSL (70 in a car, 60 in a large van).

It is possible to learn something on speed awareness courses.
    I learnt that the limit will always be 30 or 60, unless something tells you otherwise. If you're not sure, it's 30 if lit, 60 if dark, until you see a repeater.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Following from my comment about difference between the law and poor driving. They had their hands full just educating people on the basics of roadcraft let alone poor driving. They put up a ton of pictures and quizzed the room. Two that were particularly eye opening was national speed limit on carriage ways. Most got the speed limit, 60 or 70 but couldn't properly identify a dual carriage way. Chevrons with hatched or solid lines escaped nearly 80% of the room.

He put up pictures like these and asked the room what to do.

Nearly everyone couldn't tell the difference and what to do between the two. They completely lost the nuance that the bounding white lines make the difference, not just that they are chevrons. You cannot cross a solid white line so you mustn't drive in to the chevrons where you can with the hatched one.

Also national speedlimit and carriage ways. They put pictures up and asked us to define them.

Something like just over half the room failed to realise the first one is a single carriage way so is not 70.

They then threw a curve ball in with the Aston Express way which changes lanes depending on time of day.

Nearly everyone said dual carriage way but it's not, it's still single carriage but it's actually signed 50 so slightly irrelevant to the 60 vs 70 issue.

So if people can't identify stuff like this they general driving behavoiur didn't make it on to the agenda.
      basically driver education is key and we don't do any.

I think a computer based driving test everyone takes every X years would be an effective tool, Kiosks in your local shopping centre at £5-10 a time, could take a picture of driver and compare with one on file automatically. Test eyesight & reactions. If you fail 3 times then a cheap test retake with a human could be arranged or a ban. Roll out initially optionally for young and old drivers (cheaper insurance) then for mandatory those with medical issues and driving offences.

Also lets be honest about who are the bad drivers, looking at the stats one suspects many of the KSI's may be based on criminals evading the Police or young drivers being stupid showing off so targeting them is probably more effective.

Solid white line cameras would be trivial to implement. My £50 door camera can tell when a moving object is walking on to my driveway.
      Last edited by vetran; 24 November 2022, 11:07.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

30mph zones and NSL zones don't require repeaters.

So not sure what you mean by NSL repeaters along urban motorways. Unless you mean 60mph or 50mph repeaters (which are not NSL).
        NSL on a motorway or dual carriage is still the NSL (70 in a car, 60 in a large van).

It is possible to learn something on speed awareness courses.
        I learnt that the limit will always be 30 or 60, unless something tells you otherwise. If you're not sure, it's 30 if lit, 60 if dark, until you see a repeater.
        Actually I agree, I was confusing two rules! If you are on a road clearly marked as a Motorway (hard shoulder, blue signage, and the rest) the NSL applies and repeaters aren't needed unless it is lower than that, lit or unlit.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Never been caught speeding. Never had a ticket of any kind, including parking ticket.

Which my g/f is surprised at given I drove the Focus RS, and now the TTRS hairdresser car like I stole it. She's actually surprised I've not ended upside down in a ditch. Guess I'm just lucky
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            Never been caught speeding. Never had a ticket of any kind, including parking ticket.

Which my g/f is surprised at given I drove the Focus RS, and now the TTRS hairdresser car like I stole it. She's actually surprised I've not ended upside down in a ditch. Guess I'm just lucky
            TTRS is slow and low to the ground. It would take a lot of effort to roll one. Can't even switch that Hungarian Hairdresser's car into rear wheel only for fun.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

For 31mph in a 30, I would be asking for proof that the measuring device had been calibrated - they need to be done every day. The standard tolerance for 'no action' on speeding (under national guidelines) is +10% and 2mph i.e. 35mph in a 30. The Met have recently reduced this to +10% and 1mph or 34mph.

If you feel they're being unreasonable when they pull you over then when they ask 'do you understand etc.' you can say no, I'd like to see the PACE manual please. This contains further information on what they're talking about and usually has to be fetched from a station which takes a fair bit of time and hassle.

I've had a clean license for many years now but did go on a speed awareness course once.
              They said that most people think they are above average drivers which is clearly impossible.
              Then we had a driving assessment (video game style) and the result? I'm an above average driver.

One other anecdote. There is a road near me which was 50mph and the speed limit was changed to 30mph. Unfortunately this change wasn't advertised and there were no speed limit signs between where I joined the road and where I got stopped - a mile or so further.
              He did the whole 'assume 30mph where there are traffic lights' but it really felt like a stitch up. The local police do very well financially from traffic offences.

Comment

No point in telling most drivers about dotted vs solid lines. 90% would never overtake in any circumstances, and insist on gesticulating and flashing lights (both side) when you have carried out a perfectly safe manoeuvre.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

TTRS is slow and low to the ground. It would take a lot of effort to roll one. Can't even switch that Hungarian Hairdresser's car into rear wheel only for fun.
                  lend it to aTw bet he can crash it!

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
                    I've had a clean license for many years now but did go on a speed awareness course once.
                    They said that most people think they are above average drivers which is clearly impossible.
                    Then we had a driving assessment (video game style) and the result? I'm an above average driver.

One other anecdote. There is a road near me which was 50mph and the speed limit was changed to 30mph. Unfortunately this change wasn't advertised and there were no speed limit signs between where I joined the road and where I got stopped - a mile or so further.
                    He did the whole 'assume 30mph where there are traffic lights' but it really felt like a stitch up. The local police do very well financially from traffic offences.
                    If you can find your indicators, understand the 2 second rule, don't play with your phone and understand solid lines on most roads you are in the top 10%.

Sadly many of the Police don't understand the law and just bully people.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
                      F
                      I'm an above average driver.
                      Said every tulip driver ever.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X