• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just received my Notice of Intended Prosecution"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    A Dual Carriageway is defined as having a solid separation between the two lines of traffic, primarily to prevent crossover accidents. Those two don't, therefore...
    You must be real fun at the parties...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Why would anyone drive in the middle of those two anyway? this is some sort of two-lanes-into-one kind of situation right?

Why? honestly curious.

Again, why is it single? also who the feck designed this?

It now seems I'd probably fail most of the questions at this driver's awareness course
    A Dual Carriageway is defined as having a solid separation between the two lines of traffic, primarily to prevent crossover accidents. Those two don't, therefore...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Smartie View Post

You clearly missed the bit about it being the result of an official test.
    Or are you just having a bad day?
    Or are you just you? <---------- most likely
    Me being me but it's a common saying and oddly enough they also mentioned on my awareness course. All bad drivers think of themselves as good drivers.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    From the 1930s to 1950s there were quite a few single lane duel carriageways
    Seems I like posting explanatory pictures, here is a duel carriageway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BN-DB113_got_G_20140602165016.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	4243810

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    You can't even spell licence!
    As for the money, we all do very well out of it - It goes into the Treasury's Consolidated Fund.
    OMG my predictive text used the standard American version of a word and as this post was so important to me, I didn't triple check it.
    Jeez, get some rest over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Said every tulip driver ever.
    You clearly missed the bit about it being the result of an official test.
    Or are you just having a bad day?
    Or are you just you? <---------- most likely

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    From the 1930s to 1950s there were quite a few single lane duel carriageways

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Why would anyone drive in the middle of those two anyway? this is some sort of two-lanes-into-one kind of situation right?
    Wrong. Not the best pictures but you shouldn't focus on the picture, you should focus on teh signage i.e. the chevrons and the bounding lines. The solid white lines ones tend to be joining but can also provide separatation for two lanes that mustn't be crossed in to. Without going in to an explaination here is a picture of hatched chevrons that isn't two lanes in to one. There is another example in the picture below. The solid or hatched lines make them completly different beasts with their own rules.

Think of a solid while bounded chevrons the same as the double solids on a road you can't cross but further apart with chevrons for filler. Doesn't matter what is inbetween the white lines, you can't cross them. If that makes sense :|

Click image for larger version  Name:	right-turn.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.5 KB ID:	4243800

Why? honestly curious.
    Because many people assume it's a dual carriage way because of the number of lanes. Two lanes = dual carriage way but that is wholly wrong. It's the entire width of the road on both sides. If it's the same piece of tarmac without a barrier then it's considered a single carriage way regardless of lanes. If it's got a grass or barrier seperation it's a dual carriage way.

These two are an example of the tricky picks they put up to fool people. The first only has one lane either side but their are two clearly seperated carriage ways so it's a dual carriage. The second has multiple lanes but single piece of unbroken tarmac so is single carriageway.

You see?

Click image for larger version  Name:	start.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.5 KB ID:	4243801

Click image for larger version  Name:	OuterRingKnock.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	4243802

Single because is single unbroken carriage way from side to side. Nothing to do with number of lanes.
    But yeah Ason Express way is an odd beast but it's a good example to prove the difference.
    It now seems I'd probably fail most of the questions at this driver's awareness course
    It certainly does but you would be one of many if that helps.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 25 November 2022, 14:46.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Why? honestly curious.

Because you are busy obeying the markers on the slip road then some feckwit in a posh family saloon cuts you up by crossing the solid whites.

Its all about your reservations

https://theorytestpractice.online/bl...iageway-roads/

Therefore, the difference between a single carriageway road and a dual carriageway road is not the number of lanes, it is whether the road has a central reservation or not.
    the second one despite having red tarmac its one road surface.

Of course if it were important they would put up a sign.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Nearly everyone couldn't tell the difference and what to do between the two. They completely lost the nuance that the bounding white lines make the difference, not just that they are chevrons. You cannot cross a solid white line so you mustn't drive in to the chevrons where you can with the hatched one.

Something like just over half the room failed to realise the first one is a single carriage way so is not 70.
    Why? honestly curious.

They then threw a curve ball in with the Aston Express way which changes lanes depending on time of day.
    Nearly everyone said dual carriage way but it's not, it's still single carriage but it's actually signed 50 so slightly irrelevant to the 60 vs 70 issue.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Luckily computers including smartphones have spell checkers.
    But license is a correct spelling, just incorrect use. Considering the Android auto****itup likes to change were to we're and ill to I'll, I have no expectation that it would know when to use license vs licence.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Luckily commuters including smartphones have spiel Czechers .
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've never been able to spell it. It's one of (my many) secret shames.
    Luckily computers including smartphones have spell checkers.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I've never been able to spell it. It's one of (my many) secret shames.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Smartie View Post
    I've had a clean license for many years now but did go on a speed awareness course once.
    He did the whole 'assume 30mph where there are traffic lights' but it really felt like a stitch up. The local police do very well financially from traffic offences.
    As for the money, we all do very well out of it - It goes into the Treasury's Consolidated Fund.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X