• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That's a bit complicated unless you don't have to actually put the bins out cos you have nice refuse engineers who will collect from an accessible bin storage location.

Down in West Sussex, my Mum is livid with the district council because the garden waste is not being collected due to a lack of staff. Apparently, despite it costing an extra £150 a year, the bins are not collected fortnightly as advertised but on a 'best endeavours' basis with no refunds.
    £150 a year for garden waste? It was £55 in Surrey and £50 here!
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

£150 a year for garden waste? It was £55 in Surrey and £50 here!
      My Mum must have signed up for a different period as, according to this, it's £72.60 a year.

The site you register on doesn't have any pricing on it. You have to sign up first (which is not possible because they can't cope with the customers they've got).

Comment

Don't think there's a charge for garden waste around here.

That's why I burn it all and the bits that don't burn meet the compost heap.

By the end of the summer the compost heap is knocking on for 5 feet tall.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I have been thinking, for nearly two weeks now, that I ought to do some laundry.

Having run out of other procrastination tasks (cleaning, tidying etc) I have gotten a round tuit. Smalls and tops now in the WM.

I think it's time to take a break for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I even like using, and can easily read, XSLT
            now that is just weird.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Gosh, that time already? Soon be the weekend!

Lunch was sardine toasties (olive oil ones, not tomato sauce). Very nice

Workwise, the other brouhaha of the week is that it's possible all the work we've done for the last couple of weeks has been for naught. We're knocking up visualisations of that data my thing shuttles across from the other app. But now it's unclear whether some of the target audience will be able to get access to the visualisations app; so it's possible we'll have to do it using Amazon QuickSight instead, which they already use widely and which provides the necessary access.

Just before lunch I took my SQL query for the one chart I've done so far, pasted it into QuickSight, adjusted the colours, and posted a screenshot to Teams. After lunch, I've worked out another SQL query for another chart (moderately complicated as it needs to aggregate data over a SQL-generated time series), made a QuickSight chart of that, and posted a screenshot.

Meanwhile, the other chap is casting around for some way to get his Python code to work over there. There isn't one; they've got it locked down to only use SQL

Comment

Smalls out the WM and dresses now in, with the hurry up button pressed (which I forgot to do on the last load).

The trouble with a rental is that you end up with naff white goods that don't have a quick wash function for things that just need freshening up. The quickest cycle on mine still takes an hour.

Comment

...I even like using, and can easily read, XSLT
                  When I have to, I can use it and read it. But I'll never like it.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

now that is just weird.
                    Work intensively with it for two or three years and you don't even notice the XML any more

A bit like that bloke watching the green characters scrolling down and seeing what's going on in the Matrix

Comment

Work intensively with it for two or three years and you don't even notice the XML any more

A bit like that bloke watching the green characters scrolling down and seeing what's going on in the Matrix
                      yep currently importing xml for one project. it isn't bad but so few people can get their head round it.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X