• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

A grey start out today

The weather app is hemming and hawing over whether or not it'll rain. Currently it thinks there might be some drizzle in a bit, but then nothing more for the rest of the day, and maybe even some sunny spells later. Currently 16°C with a chance of 19° if that sunshine breaks through; barometer well and truly down at 986/993mB

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Apparently that may have been the case fifteen years ago, but he informed us that nowadays it isn't a problem
      Even if that were the case (it isn't), it still violates clean coding principles of doing only what you need to do. Don't grab more data than you'll use. A bit of SQL is simpler and easier to understand than a bit of SQL followed by application coding.

"Always code as though a murderous psychopath*, who knows where you live, might need to figure out what it does with a hangover at 3am on a Sunday morning".

*For BACS of course it's:
      "Always code like eek knows where you live ...".
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Morning all

Overcast but dry with signs of overnight rain drying off. Currently 17 degrees with a high of 20 expected. The sun will allegedly make an appearance before the rain returns this afternoon. There's even a thunderstorm symbol in the 1700 hour but I'll believe that when I see it. Barometer has dropped quite a bit down to 998 mBar.

Rubbish night's sleep, awake at 0435 and 0530. Had to get up a bit early due to Waitrose delivering. My card had bounced (forgot that I'd booked flights for next year and a holiday for next month all on the same card for the points and hit my limit) but their IT was up the swanny so I may have gotten free shopping as the driver was instructed to deliver and they'll call me if there's still an issue

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
        Jamaica becomes independent after 300 years of British occupation and enslavement rule 1962

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

And I spotted the bin wagon turning into the side road as I got up to get my shoes; so by the time I got out the back, the recycling bin was ready to be trundled back in

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Even if that were the case (it isn't), it still violates clean coding principles of doing only what you need to do. Don't grab more data than you'll use. A bit of SQL is simpler and easier to understand than a bit of SQL followed by application coding.
            Absolutely! I've long been in favour of declarative languages; once you get used to them, they're much easier to follow. I even like using, and can easily read, XSLT

Comment

Oh how far we've come from some neat handcrafted assembler.

Morning.

Grey.

Sunless.

Wet.

Dark.

Dank.

Dire.

Dreadful.

20.1 deg in here (it's gone up 0.1 deg since I came in, hot stuff that's me).

Barometer rising at 994 mBar, in Hg, up from the overnight 992 mBar, RH 66%.

Friday.

Smalls in the WM along with the work shirts.

Smalls out of the WM and into the TD.

Shirts in the WM.

Walk (abbreviated) walked.

Smalls out of the TD and airing in the front bedroom.

Shirts out of the WM and into the TD.

Cottons in the WM.

Shirts out of the TD.

Shirts roughly iRoned and airing in the back bedroom.

Lunch: poachd tomato and scrambled egg on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toast, bramble jelly sandwich on same, a red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Cottons out of the WM & into the TD.

Entertainment: Car SOS: Ford Model A.

Bits of wood. The headlamps made by a metal spinning company.

I've never seen metal spinning demonstrated before.

Freecell score: 79% running average 84%.

Trucking Hell S3 E15: no Rory.

Tea: Tesco breaded cod, some mango slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Discovering Basil Rathbone.

Freecell score: 93%, running average 84% (84.098%).

Abandoned Engineering: goldmining town 11000 feet up in Colorado, Palmerston's Follies in the Solent, sugar factory in Puerto Rico (well that was fecking tedious, didn't even mention Teddy Roosevelt or San Juan hill ), Cyprus stone village ruins: abandoned Turkish Cypriot village, not quite sure WTF this has to do with engineering, jolly good, The Knights that say Ni! Templar built it.

Elementary S6 E11: "You've come a long way, baby".

Jesse Stone.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 August 2021, 20:20.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

No bins trundled as all such things were dealt with on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

I was persistently drizzled on for the second mile

Still, it wasn't cold so it was quite refreshing if anything
                  This morning was, appropriately, the inverse: I got rained on pretty steadily for the first mile or so, after which it dried up

Still not chilly though, so no harm done

Comment

Morning all

Still getting used to bin days down here.
                    Every Monday: Recycling
                    Every other Tuesday: Garden waste
                    Every 3rd Monday: Black bin
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Morning all

Still getting used to bin days down here.
                      Every Monday: Recycling
                      Every other Tuesday: Garden waste
                      Every 3rd Monday: Black bin
                      That's a bit complicated unless you don't have to actually put the bins out cos you have nice refuse engineers who will collect from an accessible bin storage location.

Down in West Sussex, my Mum is livid with the district council because the garden waste is not being collected due to a lack of staff. Apparently, despite it costing an extra £150 a year, the bins are not collected fortnightly as advertised but on a 'best endeavours' basis with no refunds.

Comment

Working...
                      X