• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's only entertainment was a bit of Trucking Hell while eating my bacon butty and then while eating the soup

Back to the fray tomorrow

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Turning sunny after what seemed like a cloudy start

Temperature is already 12°C, heading for 15° this afternoon around the time the rain possibly (40%-60%) shows up; barometer down slightly at 984/992mB

Comment

Morning all

Cloudy but bright with some of that blue sky and sunshine poking through. Have had to pull the curtain over a bit to stop the glare on my screen, which is a shame. Currently 11 degrees ('feels like' 9) and the high is expected to reach 13. High chance of rain throughout the day varying from spits to something more enthusiastic. Barometer at 991 mBar.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
        The first transcontinental railroad linking the eastern and western United States opens at Promontory Summit in Utah 1869

Comment

After the shenanigans with Avis and extending my car hire, HWMBO and I drove into town for a bit of shopping (it's nice that Scotland don't have nonsense Sunday trading hours). First up was a trip to the Nespresso shop to buy capsules. Cue the usual battle of "no, I don't want an account, thank you" and having to say no about four times before they grudgingly accept your money.

Then to Tantrum Doughnuts for the buying of a treat for us (and the kids).

Then to John Lewis to buy new bedding for HWMBO's eldest and the very last Nespresso Krups Essenza Mini they had in stock (as the model is discontinued). A bargain at £60.

Why were we buying all this Nespresso stuff you wonder? Well, it turns out that the coffee roasters we use have had their shipment of beans held up by customs. Rather than buy different beans, and have to clean and recalibrate the machine to get the grind right for a different bean, HWMBO decided that he could cope with Nespresso for the couple of weeks it'll take to resolve. I ought to have enough beans at home to survive this challenge to my core existence but I too have the mini Nespresso machine at home and can unpack that if need be.

Finally, collected the kids from their mother's then drove to his sister's house for a familial visit. Another sister was visiting from Cardiff, now they're allowed out too, so it was all a proper socially distanced affair in the garden to show how big the kids had grown and all that nonsense.

HWMBO couldn't be bothered to cook when we got home, so cocktails and a takeaway was much enjoyed.
          Last edited by ladymuck; 10 May 2021, 07:45.

Comment

Feel a little under the weather today; wonder if it's hay fever? Each year that creeps up on me and I don't realise because I never used to get it

Anyway, I've had a toasted teacake for breakfast which was very nice and at least means I don't feel hungry any more

Comment

I know nothing about coffee, so I have a nespresso machine. All registered, coffee delivered by post - recycled also via post.

Temperature 17.1 °C
              Relative humidity 66%
              Pressure 973 hPa

Rain rain rain... but I managed to get the grass cut before it really started raining. Today I will be mainly attempting to apply Clean Code principles to a new development.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2021-05-10

Oak, and presumably horse chestnuts.

Thank your lucky stars you're not sensitised to beech & birch.

https://www.ukallergy.com/pollen-all...ons-in-the-uk/

Morning.

Was sunny, then grey, now sunny.

Was dry, then raining, now damp.

Warmish at 17.7 deg in here.

993.5 mBar, 29.338 in Hg, RH 56% (it's gone up ).

Monday.

Telex machine gleaming oh so very brightly this morning Roy.

<hiatus>

Trip down to Wilko's to buy some fatballs, had a look at curtain rails while I was there since the back bedroom rail caused some trauma last week.

Fatballs durly dispensed for the benefit of the feathered dinosaurs.

Followed by a walk in the sunshine.

It was almost warm apart from the semigale blowing in my face on the way back down.

The res is still full but the leat has subsided considerably since early yesterday morning's overtopping excitement.

Lunch: poached tomato and scrambled egg ( leathery++ version ) onMorrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toast, bramble jelly sandwich x1 (I'm getting fat) on same, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

In other news, the rather foetid jeans and cords are in the wash and should be hanging out on the line shortly, flapping gayly in the semigale.

Entertainment: Engineering Disasters: Hurricane Katrina & New Orleans, or why it's a bad idea to build a city that's 10 feet lower than sea level & still subsiding an inch a year

Apparently it's all down to the cheese eating surrender monkeys back in the day.

The 2nd ep told us about why it's a really really bad idea to build houses on the sides of canyons in California.

(Hint: they slide off downhill when the ground fails).

It's also A Bad Idea to build roads over "dry river beds" which turn out to be not so dry when it rains a lot.

The jeans & cords dried nicely on the line & were finished off in the TD.

The opportunity was taken to wash the duvet cover for the first time in a long while, it's dried on the line & is finishing off in the TD right now.

Trucking Hell S2 E6 involved the railway locomotive on a low loader stuck in a railway yard, and Rory recovering an ancient (D reg the first time round ?1965?) Bedford fire engine which Dave Crouch had bought to add to his collection.

Tea: roast chicken with sausage (but sans bacon since I couldn't be arsed to defrost any yesterday), a yog, some tinned fruit cocktail, and 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Trucking Hell S4 E4 at 20:00 on Paramount.

It's the one from last Thursday with the water bottle truck and the artic stuck on a bollard in that London.

I'm ever so glad I don't live in that London.

NCIS S16 E16 "Bears and Cubs" on 5USA at 21:00.

It was vaguely amusing in a "this is S16 and it's still going" sort of way.

Followed by part of some thing on Quest Red with the alarming title "My Baby has two heads".

And yes, it had two heads, one of which was a parasitic twin.

After which I turned it off.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 May 2021, 22:23.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

My daughter has hay fever. She's discovered she can drastically reduce symptoms by wearing a mask outside. One positive benefit of covid.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    After the shenanigans with Avis and extending my car hire, HWMBO and I drove into town for a bit of shopping (it's nice that Scotland don't have nonsense Sunday trading hours). First up was a trip to the Nespresso shop to buy capsules. Cue the usual battle of "no, I don't want an account, thank you" and having to say no about four times before they grudgingly accept your money.
                    NI has the best Sunday trading approach - Church until 12 and then the shops can open.

And if you don't go to church there is no rush to get up.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      My daughter has hay fever. She's discovered she can drastically reduce symptoms by wearing a mask outside. One positive benefit of covid.
                      I did a project with an ex paramedic in the US his wife had life threatening Asthma. It was in Ohio which has a 20 metre rule about smoking near doorways and he was impressed because normally when they go for a meal as she walks out of the restaurant some idiot is smoking near the front door and he has to revive her before they go home.

It was a bit odd (I was a smoker) going across the road and to the bottom of the car park for a smoke 15 years ago.

Its strange how little changes can really help.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X