• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    An "octochamp" is a contestant who has won eight games. They retire undefeated, and almost inevitably have a high enough cumulative score to be entered in the finals, which are a series of knockout heats leading to the final winner being declared Champion of Champions and given a big dictionary, despite the fact that they've proved themselves to be the person least likely to need one
    Correction - they become the series winner.

Champion of Champions are ad-hoc events, typically once every two years or so, where series winners, runners up, and other notable finalists play each other.

But yes, the set of dictionaries is an odd prize in the modern era. I believe they also get a macbook which is probably more welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Correction - they become the series winner.

Champion of Champions are ad-hoc events, typically once every two years or so, where series winners, runners up, and other notable finalists play each other.

But yes, the set of dictionaries is an odd prize in the modern era. I believe they also get a macbook which is probably more welcome!
      Oops!

Comment

I note that the second bloke to win eight games didn't get anything about being "the second male octochamp of the series"
        All fixed.

Comment

Call from an agent about a possible gig in Derby. This guy was originally put in touch with me by one of his colleagues who'd been my agent for a different gig back in 2012, and he's never yet placed me anywhere; but he still gets in touch every year or two just to see what I'm up to, and occasionally with a gig, though he's always managed to do that a week or so after I've started a different gig. Maybe this will be the year he finally places me somewhere!

Anyway, from what he said I was able to work out who the client is, and they seem OK and the location isn't too bad. Just waiting for an email with some initial info, and then I suppose I'd better get my CV updated just in case

Comment

Call from an agent about a possible gig in Derby. This guy was originally put in touch with me by one of his colleagues who'd been my agent for a different gig back in 2012, and he's never yet placed me anywhere; but he still gets in touch every year or two just to see what I'm up to, and occasionally with a gig, though he's always managed to do that a week or so after I've started a different gig. Maybe this will be the year he finally places me somewhere!

Anyway, from what he said I was able to work out who the client is, and they seem OK and the location isn't too bad. Just waiting for an email with some initial info, and then I suppose I'd better get my CV updated just in case
            Child#2 who has been very miserable in her job (very unpleasant boss) accepted a new job today with a major High Street name - they even offered her more money than she'd asked for!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Child#2 who has been very miserable in her job (very unpleasant boss) accepted a new job today with a major High Street name - they even offered her more money than she'd asked for!
              Excellent! Boomed, even!

Comment

Email from agent arrived, it is the place I found by Googling, and it seems like it might be a bearable kind of company. Better get my CV updated.

Just launched Pages (for the first time in ages) to get started, and the "Recent files" menu no longer includes my CV, though it does have the list of medications I made to take to my appointments at the hospital a year and more ago

Comment

Should be on Google Street View soon. Was standing on pavement when a Street View van came by.

PS Bah! Takes 1 to 3 years apparently.

PPS. Hmmm. Van had big round thing on top and was clearly marked as Google Street View, but not on list they are currently doing, Maybe it was a fake Google van.

Street View photos come from two sources, Google and our contributors.
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 30 April 2019, 18:56.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Some of them weren't bad, but they can't compete with somebody who's spent years thinking up drivel to post on TPD

TPD the playground of champions!!!

has a certain ring to it.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

X7 home again jiggety jig.

Tea/dinner was M&S breaded haddock.

It was quite nice since I managed not to cook it to death.

This evening's epic is "The Ice Harvest" with Billy Bob Thornton, John Cusack, and Mike Starr.

The Ice Harvest (2005) - IMDb

It was suitably amusing in a sort of neo noir way.

Followed by the final ep of "Timeless" which rounded things off in a reasonably pleasing way, unlike the way most stuff finishes from Septicland, namely a cliffhanger with no resolution.

Like "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" did.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 April 2019, 22:00.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X