• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all

Raining lots. Currently 13 degrees with a high of 14 expected. Rain forecast off and on all day. Barometer up to 984 mBar.

HWMBO wasn't badly delayed by the storm yesterday. Today we are meeting friends for afternoon tea. We were supposed to meet them earlier this afternoon but they got too tipsy last night and are trying to recover instead. Kids today just can't handle themselves

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You were quick with that review on Amazon
    Not me! I have only read the intro so far.

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey day, but the rain has ended, having continued into the night. Currently a mere 10°C and no more than 11° expected, but the barometers are heading back up at 971/979mB

Comment

^^^ I've watched Cloud Atlas but have little recall thereof, Heat, on the other hand, is used as training for how to retreat under fire. Or so I read somewhere.

Morning.

Saturday.

Grey.

Dark.

Dank.

Damp.

Dreary.

Sunless.

Cool in here at 16.8 deg, 17.5 deg in the kitchen, 15.5 deg in the leanto.

982.5 mBar, 29.01 in Hg, 736.9 Torr, 14.24995 psi, (up from 975 last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Prebreakfast walk (abbreviated) walked with the added distraction of The Vegan Parkrun.

Meanwhile on the 19th of July 2019 M&S haddock was consumed by one, with chicken casserole being consumed by the other, and it was raining again. Quelle surprise as they say, apparently.

One of my ex Esteemed Customers was on the run: he didn't recognise me.

Can't remember his name but I can remember his final year project board that decorated the lab for years.

Sun's out.

Freecell score: 95%, running average: 86%.

Tea: spag bol etc.

Entertainment: PM. Followed by the Nick Robinson crap <click>.

Maigret S3 E2 "The madman of Vervac (1962)". Maigret tries to go fishing with an old friend & gets shot in the woods. Dear old Roger Delgado as a cop from Madagascar. .

"Little trains and big names with Pete Waterman". Model railways.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 October 2023, 20:43.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Bit of a walky disaster yesterday, trying to negotiate a wet tussocky area and fell in the mud. New writer's group yesterday, not very successful, eventually six managed to to turn up. I was the only bloke as usual. At least I managed to write summit, first time in ages. Then pub for loony lady 2's birthday.

Free weekend at least, old ladied out!
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Ooh and my 20 GOTO 10 book has just plopped through the door. NickFitz have you got yours? I see your name in the backers credits!
            It just arrived! The donkey made it through the storm!

No time to look at it now though, as I'm just getting ready to head down to see my Dad

Comment

Home again. My Dad seems well enough. He wanted to go to Tesco where he pushed the trolley around and got some stuff. Not as interesting as Old Warden aerodrome, though

On my way out, I chucked another handful of assorted nuts across the lawn: walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, Brazils. All gone when I returned, so the squirrels have been busy this afternoon

Comment

Managed to get through to the Chinese, though it took a minute or two for them to answer. Food will be ready around 18:45, so they're clearly still keeping very busy

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Managed to get through to the Chinese, though it took a minute or two for them to answer. Food will be ready around 18:45, so they're clearly still keeping very busy
                  Very nice too

As part of the change from Pick to Mix, the channel has finally abandoned its endless Saturday evening repeats of Road Wars and the like. More of a focus on wildlife now it seems, as there was a Monkey Life special about the denizens of the orangutan nursery, then a film about the life and work of David Attenborough, followed by one of his films about dragonflies

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Wanted (2008) in which a young bloke of little significance discovers that he is heir to a place among an ancient guild of assassins, and so on. As I should have guessed, but discovered from the end credits, this was derived from a comic book series. This explains why it had some visually impressive set pieces, because they took them from the original artist's work, yet failed to impress, because Hollywood are notoriously bad at translating comic book stories to the screen unless they're among the few from DC and Marvel that attract all the investment. So yeah, some nice-looking bits, but not that good overall, I thought

And then a rewatch of the beautiful 84 Charing Cross Road (1987) which really can't be faulted; I assume Hollywood benefitted from the fact that it had been adapted into a play and they could base the film on that. Anyway, wonderful stuff

And finally, time to revisit Xenophon's Anabasis in the form of The Warriors (1979) fighting their way home across NYC. An excellent film

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove
                      Ah, "The Warriors (1979)" with Dexter's dad. . I have the requisite two copies somewhere, and "Wanted": meh.

Morning.

Sunday: 7 day forecast: dry; actuality: pissing down. So that's the washing kuffered for the day.

Wet.

Grey.

Hints of sun.

Cool side of cool in here at 15.6 deg, 16 deg in the kitchen, 13 deg in the leanto.

1000 mBar, 29.53 in Hg, 750 Torr, 14.5 psi, (up from 992 last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 65% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 20th of July 2019 NF had a hot dog for lunch, I fell asleep listening to "Symphonic Pink Floyd" (no ranting antisemite on this, thank feck), followed by a trip down the dump to get shot of a smokey Tatung 14" monitor.
                      Oh good, it's doing that again.

Freecell score: 75%, running average: 86%.

Lunch: baked potato etc.

It dried up so shirts in WM.

Shirts out of WM & pegged out on the line.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the sunshine. Lots of cars, presumably on their way to purchase pumpkins.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Shirts in off the line & duly iRoned: now airing upstairs.

Smalls in off the line & in the TD, thence airing upstairs.

Tea: there was tea: soup, etc.

Entertainment: River search bollox.

DMAX+1: NASA's unexplained files: Apollo 17 "plague": moondust allergy. Dogon tribe knowledge of Sirius B. . Radar: Operation moonbounce: reveals Henhouse radar. Mars Henge. Magnetic field collapse/reversal. Hole in Saturn's F ring.

The unexplained bollox with the WWWC. Chap who got nuked in Hiroshima & Nagasaki & survived both, living to 93. Lightning strikes: chap struck 7 times. Falling off stuff. From 33,000 feet in one case. Other bollox.

Strange Evidence: more bollox: blue flames in Wyoming: not a volcano or Yellowstone about to erupt, turns out that someone set a dump from a sulphur (sulfur if you're septic) mine on fire by grounding a 4WD on it, then reving the bollox off it which lighted the sulphur on fire from the exhaust catalyst, water put it out. Who'd have thunk? Wild turkeys circling a dead cat in the road. WTF? Gettysburg ghosts on "film": WTF? Tree on fire on the inside: probably a lightning strike set the rotten core wood on fire. Pilar of water in China: burst water main.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 October 2023, 09:16.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X