• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Very gloomy grey day, and tipping down with rain; this is expected to continue into the night. Comparatively warm though: currently 14°C and maybe reaching 15° later. The barometers are down even more at 964/972mB

I had a better night's sleep and don't feel quite as wretched today

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Still feeling wretched, so it's an early night for me

Goodnight all
      Have an Om to make up for it: Om.

Morning.

Friday.

Grey.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Dire.

Dreadful.

Wet.

Grey.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 16.7 deg, 17.5 deg in the kitchen, 16 deg in the leanto.

976.5 mBar , 28.836 in Hg, 732.43 Torr, 14.163 psi, (down from 978 last night), 74% RH (GDR hair), 66% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 19th of July 2019 there was discussion of closing Waitrose shops near NF, the closing of the little Sainsburys, ditto, WTFH getting another week of work, scrambled egg for lunch, current books, and bonfires.

Freecell score: 90%, running average: 86%.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: Powell & Pressburger on Archive Hour.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Even further down to 775 and a semitad mBar. .

Freecell score: 91%, running average: 86% (85.754%).

Tea: soup etc.

Ghosts. E3. Onwards with the golf course plan.

Strangest things on Blaze: wooden tablet from Easter Island inscribed with inscrutable carvings, Max Factor's beauty measuring machine, The Disc of Sabu: some inscrutable carved stone disc that's 5000 years old & no one can figure out wtf it's for, though I'm sure the Ancient Aliens researchers will have a theory or six.

What on Earth? more sat pictures: Gara Medourar in the Magreb: looks like a crater & isn't, but who built the wall? Grime's Graves flint mine: wtf has it to do with Wodin being millennia older than that?, LA gas cloud: methane leak, Arctic thingie: it's the seed vault, some weird building on an island near Mongolia: feck nose https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Por-Bazhyn.

Swedish Customs thing on Quest+1. The usual: alcohol smugglers, the assorted disgusting foodstuffs, etc.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 October 2023, 09:27.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all (just)

Dull and damp but no active precipitation at this moment. Currently 15 degrees with a high of 17 expected. There might be a glimpse of sunshine before the rain turns up early evening. Barometer down to 979 mBar.

I see there's a bit of a storm going on up in the northern wastelands, potentially delaying HWMBO's flight down today.

Comment

Ooh and my 20 GOTO 10 book has just plopped through the door. NickFitz have you got yours? I see your name in the backers credits!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Ooh and my 20 GOTO 10 book has just plopped through the door. NickFitz have you got yours? I see your name in the backers credits!
            Not yet - I assume the delivery donkey has sensibly decided not to plod this far north until the weather improves

Lunch has been a ham bap (wholemeal) and a bag of plain crisps

And I have finally had confirmation that I can take next week off without jeopardising anything!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              You were quick with that review on Amazon
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

All done - some actual work happened, and the timesheet for this week and leave form for next week have been submitted!

Still teeming down here. No airliners skidding off the drive onto the lawn yet, but it could happen at any time

Comment

I'm going down to see my Dad tomorrow. I was thinking we could have lunch together, but recently my sister found him having his lunch at quarter past ten in the morning, so I'm not sure I'll get there early enough

He gets up at about five in the morning these days, so I suppose that's quite a reasonable time to have lunch from his perspective

Comment

Tea has been chicken in red wine sauce with chips and peas

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was to be Cloud Atlas (2012) but I got about 45 minutes in and decided not to bother, at least for now. It's one of those things that switches back and forth between stories in different timelines that are, presumably, all shown at the end to have been linked together in some mystical way, and I can do without that nonsense on a Friday night when I've got to be up in the morning. I also dislike that trope of people in some future where civilisation has devolved into a lesser state talking in a dialect that's basically how we imagine mediaeval peasants would have spoken, our notions about that being almost certainly wrong and derived primarily from how such people have been depicted in various fictional forms. Anyway, I decided the film was not what I wanted tonight; I may try it again some time, should I feel in the appropriate mood, but I doubt it will become a firm favourite

So I turned instead to a rewatch of Michael Mann's Heat (1995) which is excellent and well deserves its status as a classic

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X