• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Sainsbury's visited, shopping done!

I was the sole mask-wearer, as usual. Hope you enjoy the new variant, fellow shoppers - I hear it adds diarrhoea and vomiting to the usual mix of symptoms

I took the route via the old flat on the way there, which turned out to be a mistake as there were emergency roadworks at the main junction just up the road, with temporary lights instead of the ones that live there, and which were set to a very odd sequence of phases - it seemed designed to ensure the maximum amount of delay in every direction

Anyway, news from over there is that the chestnut tree hasn't really started changing colour yet, but it's on the cusp

And coming back via the Google-recommended route was also subject to delays, as there are temporary traffic lights where they're improving the cycle lane. Good cause and all that, but the bits they'd finished didn't seem much improved at all, just resurfaced and repainted. They ought to be putting a raised kerb between the motor traffic and the bikes at the very least IMHO, but they probably don't have the space as it's one of those roads that would have seemed wide to the Victorians who built their grand villas along it, but probably doesn't to the bloke driving the Aldi delivery lorry down it nowadays

Comment

Lunch has been a Pukka steak slice

Off to the GPs in a couple of hours for my jabs

Comment

Jabs jabbed. The Covid one was Moderna-style, and a check of the little cards they used to give you reveals that that was the kind I had last year which made me feel rubbish for a couple of days

On the way back, I made a slight detour via the chemist to pick up the monthly prescription.

And on the way out I threw a handful of nuts, still in their shells, across the lawn in the hope of propitiating the squirrel lords. I'd been meaning to do this for a while, but kept forgetting to buy any. But Sainsbury's now has the early Christmas displays, including bags of mixed nuts, so I finally remembered

One squirrel just made its way across the lawn very close to the area they landed in but seemed to miss them, though it seemed to be sniffing a lot and pausing to look around as if it could tell something interesting was nearby. Ah well, one or other of them will find them soon enough

Comment

Well I have worked out the best time to go to the supermarket in London is when it is raining as it appears lots of people simply don't go out.

I changed my light bulb in my hall after about 7 years and have ripped the lampshade so have to go and buy another one. Since I bought that one from I think IKEA, Wilko has closed down and Homebase is no longer in my area. I just need a cheap one that is light in colour.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Well I have worked out the best time to go to the supermarket in London is when it is raining as it appears lots of people simply don't go out.

I changed my light bulb in my hall after about 7 years and have ripped the lampshade so have to go and buy another one. Since I bought that one from I think IKEA, Wilko has closed down and Homebase is no longer in my area. I just need a cheap one that is light in colour.
            Amazon will no doubt offer a wide range

Raining a lot here now

I just worked out how much accrued leave I have, and how much more will accrue before the end of the year. Conclusion: I need to have two weeks off between now and December, then take two weeks off for Christmas/New Year. That will use it all up, including the additional leave that will accrue during the weeks I am working. Just got to ensure this is thoroughly understood by ClientGov now

Comment

Tea: pork cutlet with chips, peas and gravy

Comment

More start-of-season luck for the opal hunters, though I don't expect it'll last

And then the latest episode of The Crash Detectives in which Snapchat played a surprising part

I don't know which jab went into which arm, but my left one is starting to hurt so I suspect that's the Covid side. Not sure if I'm starting to feel other adverse effects yet or if I'm just tired, but I'm going to get an early night just in case

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey start out and still a bit of drizzle to remind us of last night's have rain. The cloud seems to be keeping the warmth in, though: currently 14°C with 18° expected later. The barometers are way down again, at 970/978mB

I feel absolutely rubbish after a rather feverish night of broken sleep, not helped by the very sore arm. Still feeling a little feverish (39.6°, it seems) and I also have a headache, along with aching joints and the like. I suppose the improved reception on the crystal set will make up for it in the long run, though
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 19 October 2023, 06:51.

Comment

^^^^ Bet it's the flu jab.

Morning.

Thursday.

Dry.

Grey.

Curiously damply warm.

Sunless.

Cool in here at 16.4 deg, 17.5 deg in the kitchen, 16 deg in the leanto.

978 mBar , 28.88 in Hg, 733.56 Torr, 14.185 psi, (down from 981 last night), 74% RH (GDR hair), 62% RH (Lidl electric).

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the prebreakfast dampness. Just as well since it's raining now.

Meanwhile on the 19th of July 2019 NF had returned from shopping (missing out M&S), whereas WTFH was touting for most liked post, apparently for banning John the Bike, curiously I thought I'd found a life. That delusion didn't last very long .

The recycling and waste disposal engineers made their merry way along the road earlier.

It must be said the night's sleep wasn't particularly satisfying, waking on & off quite a lot. Ended up listening to Today from 06:10 onwards though I can't remember any of it.

Lunch: baked potato (large) etc. Could have done with longer in the microwave.

Entertainment: Y&Y waffling on about deaf signing on something or other as invented by some kid still doing her A levels in New York. They do A levels in New York? Then sliced bread waffling on about motion sickness.

Finally Buffy the Vampire Slayer: the bazooka scene, it always cracks me up.

What's not to like? Feck me they all look really young.

Down to 977mBar now. .

Freecell score: 94%, running average: 86%.

Tea: Chilli con carne etc.

Entertainment: PM <click>

"The Old Man and the Gun (2018)" with that Sundance character, Danny Glover, Tom Waits, Casey Affleck and Sissy Spacek.

Trucking Hell S7 E13.

Wheeler Dealers S17 Part II E7 Ford Transit Mk I. It might be inneresting.

Back up to 978 mBar.

"Lost nukes of the cold war" drain the oceans bollox: what happens when you irradiate an aircraft carrier at Operation Crossroads. . The Palomares B52 crash & the lost B28 H bomb. The loss of USS Thresher. What happens when you pass crush depth. K129.

Down to 977.5 mBar.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 October 2023, 22:53.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

^^ your body is trying to fight the invasion of the 5G tracking device

Morning all

Dull, damp. Light shower when I got up that seems to have stopped since. More rain forecast this evening. Currently 17 degrees and that's the high for the day. Barometer notably down to 987 mBar.

It's just started raining again, quite enthusiastically.

Data issues at the coal face. Announced to the team that I'm leaving in three weeks

Comment

Working...
                      X