• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch has been M&S chicken bites with a bag of plain crisps

I used to have these a lot at the place in St. Ives (Cambs.) because the most convenient place to get lunch was the M&S bit in the petrol station round the corner. They come in a cardboard box now, but back then, they and several other snack things came in a sturdy plastic container. I still have dozens of said containers; they have a tight-fitting lid and are just the right size for freezing individual portions of soups, stews, and casseroles

And the bed has been stripped and left to air, pending the return of the duvet

Comment

Problems editing?

Just giving it a try…

Seemed to work OK, though I can't remember if editing always left the cursor at the start of the existing text?

Comment

Well, that felt like quite a productive day

Pause in the rain right now, so a couple of pigeons are taking the opportunity to rootle around on the lawn. A couple of the squirrels were about earlier too, apparently not caring if it's raining or not

Comment

It was a somewhat busy day today.

Rain came and went and I managed to get to the post office to drop off some birthday cards before it arrived.

Comment

Tea: pork cutlet with chips and beans

The rain seems to have moved on at last.

I watched the Apple thing. The new iPhone Pro Max's camera is very nice, but I'm only on the 12 so it's too early for me to be thinking about getting a new phone yet. Give it a few more years

I may well get a new Apple Watch though. My Series 3 dates back to 2018 (though I think it was released in 2017) and was bought primarily in a fit of paranoia about my heart after the bypass, because it had a heart rate monitor. They've massively improved that side of things since then, and it's a bit long in the tooth and doesn't do lots of other fancy stuff that they can do now

Comment

The bed has been remade (incorporating the thin duvet, as discussed) so that's one minor catastrophe averted

Comment

Tonight's viewing started with an episode of the police/dashcam thing

And after that, as S3 of Secrets of the London Underground ended last week, there was only one thing to do: watch S1E1 on catchup. This one was largely about the Holborn-Aldwych branch of the Piccadilly line, and particularly Aldwych station. At one point he quoted "a writer in the 1930s" talking about how silent and deserted the place was between trains. This had me scuttling to the bookcase and, as I suspected, he was quoting from Geoffrey Household's excellent 1939 thriller Rogue Male, a fairly important scene in which is set there

It's quite windy out now, though no more rain is expected for a few days. It supposedly won't get above 19°C before Friday; maybe I'll finally have reason to reactivate the central heating

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Rather colder start than we've been getting at 9°C. It's going to rocket up to 19° later though, and the barometers are also rocketing upwards at 1010/1018mB. Sunny out too

Comment

^^^ The editing problem seemed to crash something with a weird error screen. It got better about 10 minutes later.

Morning.

Wednesday.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky in parts.

Cooler in here at 21.2 deg, 22.5 deg in the kitchen, 19.5 deg in the leanto, 15.7 deg in the saltinghouse.

1017 mBar, 30.03 in Hg, 762.8 Torr, 14.75 psi, (up from 1013 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 72% RH (Lidl electric).

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM & pegged out on the line. Putting the waterproof jacket in with them was a mistake since it emits little specs of pinkish white all over everything. Ho hum.

Shirts in the WM.

Meanwhile on the 11th of July 2019 there was much discussion of USB floppy drives, CVs, jobserve, and the like, while NF had found a recovery diskette for Win95 which no doubt came in very handy. .

Shirts out of the WM & pegged out on the line, happily without any specs of white.

Cottons in the WM.

Cottons out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Shopping trip to Aldi & Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away, the visit to Morrisons made difficult by the annual return of the Horse Fair (as was, now it's just a funfair with the horses on carousels) and oodles (though fewer oodles) of ripoff merchant stalls (the decent toolstall disappeared decades ago to be replaced with the usual chinese & indian crap).

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato, etc.

Shirts in off the line & roughly iRoned: airing upstairs.

Cottons in off the line (the iRony ones) and roughly iRoned, airing upstairs.

Pillow slips replaced on the pillows.

Now exhausted so sitting down for a while. It's quite warm. I blame the sunshine.

Everything in off the line & airing.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: PM. JoP. JoP Bob's son

Freecell score: 73%, running average: 86%. Zoned out today.

Ghosts US. The one where they find the head, and there's a marriage.

Jack the Ripper: the case reopened on BBC2. No Michael Caine in this one. Well it was on & that's about it.

Some more Strange stuff on Blaze, most of which are explainable. Wish they'd get a steadicam, the wiggly camera thing gets old very quickly.

Neil Oliver waffling on about the Roman period in Britain. Hated the bastards when they conquered the place, then missed them when they went and another bunch of bastards turned up to repeat the exercise. Then that later bunch of bastards were conquered by an even worse bunch of bastards who rule even yet.

Dunno what the rest of the world have to complain about they've been here for a fecking millennium more or less.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 September 2023, 08:44.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

It was a cloudy and dull start to the day but the sun has since come out and there's plenty of blue stuff in amongst the chunks of fluff. Currently 16 degrees with a high of 21 expected. Barometer up to 1022 mBar.

The duvet was reinstated inside its cover last night and the bedroom window left less widely open overnight. Decent sleep had as a result.

Comment

Working...
                      X