• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This afternoon I popped down to my storage room to see if the smart black shoes had ended up in there. I found a few things I'd forgotten I'd put in there but no sign of the shoes, so I set off for the garage as the last place left to look, at which point I discovered that some sodding delivery driver has clipped the Toyota when taking the curve of the square, putting a dent in the offside front wing and breaking the indicator lens

I haven't got time to get it fixed this week, so I'll just have to leave it for now. I'm not parking near that corner again, even if it is the closest spot to the front door

Anyway, off to the garage, though I didn't hold out much hope, as I was fairly sure I'd only left stuff in there that one might reasonably expect to find in a garage. Sure enough, a couple of bags of stuff at the front had things like decorating tools. But then I spotted a plastic box on a shelf at the back whose contents I wasn't sure of - and lo! along with a couple of other things, it held a carrier bag containing a pair of smart black shoes!

It must have been one of the very first things I dropped off after getting the keys to the place, which is why I'd forgotten about it

Still not sure why I'd put it in the garage though

Anyway, that was that sorted out. They were a bit dusty, so I wiped them down. Then I realised I have no idea where the shoe polish is. I checked a few places, but no sign of it, so I'll have to pop round to the hardware store and see if they have any; I think they sell stuff like that? If not, maybe Sainsbury's do. In the interim, I remembered I had some beeswax-based stuff for treating leather that my Mum gave me years ago, which I've tended to keep safe because it's in a nice box. So I got that (I've barely used any of it) and applied it liberally, and left it to be absorbed by the leather for a day or so

Then back to work

With that out of the way, I realised that the absolutely enormous daddy longlegs that has been on the wall above the kitchen window since this morning was still there, despite me leaving the window open for it. So I found a container big enough to go around its massive legspan, with the intention of ushering it out. As it was right up by the ceiling, I got the small set of steps I originally bought to reach the top of the bookcases in the old place (which you'll recall had very high ceilings) and set them up in there, went to trap it - and it immediately flew off the wall, bimbled about for a second or two, and made its way straight out of the window!

So then I brought the steps back in here and put them back where they had been. As I did so, I realised that there was a carrier bag on the floor behind them (part of an assortment of stuff I still haven't got around to sorting out since moving in) of whose contents I was uncertain. Picked it up, and inside… the other pair of smart black shoes!

Comment

Tea has been lamb cutlets with chips and beans. And lunch, not so far recorded for posterity, was exactly the same sausage and bacon butty as the last couple of days, as they Needed to be Eaten™

Much back and forth by email today and this evening about draft Orders of Service and so on

Comment

Highly varying fortunes for the opal hunters tonight, with the winners being the ones who'd found stones potentially worth about AUS$200,000

And later, in between dealing with photograph-related matters for orders of service, the police drone thing on All4. Not as exciting as most police shows, as it mainly involves them standing several hundred yards away from the action, watching it from above on a screen while operating a remote control

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all, London calling

Cloudy but dry. Currently 16 degrees with a high of 22 expected.

Just about to transfer from T5 to T3 before heading off for a 45 mins visit to Helsinki airport before coming back again to go to Budapest

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny out today, yet not as warm, being 15°C with 19° expected later. The barometers are down a bit more at 998/996mB, and it still looks a tad breezy out, though not as much as yesterday

Comment

Morning.

Tuesday.

Dry. .

Sunny.

Blue sky in parts.

Cool in here at 19.1 deg, 20.5 deg in the kitchen, 18.5 deg in the leanto, 16.8 deg in the salting house.

999 mBar, 29.5 in Hg, 749.3 Torr, 14.489 psi, (up from 998 last night), 74% RH (GDR hair), 74% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 1st of July 2019 there were posts from Diver. LM, Brillo & SimonMac. Diver was going on his hols after watering the tomatoes.

In other news, the is strong in me this morning for some reason.

Cottons in the WM.

Cottons out of the WM & pegged out on the line. I wonder when it'll start raining.

Freecell score: 95%, running average: 86% (85.52%).

It's still sunny & it's almost warm out there in the rays. The weather really is borked.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, a yellow corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of lightly toasted toast (type inderminate), 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y waffling on about destaffing railway stations which went <click>. TWATO if I can be arsed to turn it on whilst doing the dishes.

Cottons in off the line, the bits that needed iRoning duly iRoned, all now airing over the banisters.

8.25 buckets of apples consigned to the compost heap.

5 lawns duly mown.

Entertainment: Trucking Hell S3 E7. The tank transporter on the lowloader.

Tea: lentil soup with bread, peach slices, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Colonel March of Scotland Yard: the Stolen Crime (1956): with that Boris Karloff cove. Glyn Houston in this one, he died in 2019 at the age of 93.

Scotland Yard "The case of the river morgue". The man who died twice. Body stolen from the mortuary.

It's raining. The weather's unborked itself.

The Four Just Men E3 "The village of shame". Watched this before.

The Human Jungle S2 E5 "The 24 hour man". The unmitigated joy being Black in 1960s UK. I'm not sure throwing that gun in the canal was a public spirited sort of thing, all in all.

Maigret at the Majestic S2 E3 1993. Am enjoying these even more on a 2nd viewing.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 1 August 2023, 22:11.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                …I discovered that some sodding delivery driver has clipped the Toyota when taking the curve of the square, putting a dent in the offside front wing and breaking the indicator lens

I haven't got time to get it fixed this week, so I'll just have to leave it for now. I'm not parking near that corner again, even if it is the closest spot to the front door
                I checked the Haynes Book of Lies, then went and had a look at the car, and the indicator should be very easy to replace, even for me! So I've ordered a replacement unit off eBay, which had already shipped less than twenty minutes after I placed the order and should be here by Thursday, giving me time to sort that out

The dent along the wing will take more work, but that seems like it shouldn't adversely affect locomotion

Comment

Good afternoon, Helsinki calling, local time 1540

Raining, 17 degrees.

We landed on time, walked across to our departure gate and boarded a flight back to Heathrow.

Comment

Lunch: Scotch broth with a thick crust of wholemeal

I'm now brooding own the fact that none of the broken glass from the indicator is on the ground by the car. So either somebody's cleared it up, or it didn't happen there, which has me wondering if it could have happened in Sainsbury's car park last week and I just didn't notice at the time

Could just be that somebody's cleared it up, though. I hadn't been outside since last week, so I don't even know when it happened

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Good afternoon, Helsinki calling, local time 1540

Raining, 17 degrees.

We landed on time, walked across to our departure gate and boarded a flight back to Heathrow.
                      It seems like a very convoluted way to get from A to A

Comment

Working...
                      X