• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to decide whether I want to go and view my Mum's mortal remains tomorrow. Not at all sure whether I want to or not

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Got to decide whether I want to go and view my Mum's mortal remains tomorrow. Not at all sure whether I want to or not
      This is a difficult decision and you have my sympathies. I went to see my grandfather, but I didn't go to see my grandmother. I am equally content with both decisions. I don't think that there is a right or wrong way for these things... well, perhaps leaning slightly more toward going than not. Sometimes it is better to remember someone truly at rest, than when in the midst of their later struggles.

Good luck to you and yours.
      Last edited by wattaj; 2 August 2023, 17:02. Reason: Poor speillng.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
        Cool, overcast, but surprisingly bright this morning.

A few bits and bobs to do today: haircut, pick up prescription for new glasses, fix a leaky toilet, try to stop the boy using another bag of icing sugar for cakes.

Might manage two out of the four.

Time will tell.

New router arrived yesterday, so I also have to reconnect all the devices. Should really have a fixed internal network by now, but I'm too lazy, so I just keep having to rejig everything when I get a new supplier or upgraded kit.
        Surely you just have a standard name and password for your wifi network - I've used the same name and password now for the last 5 routers - it's way easier to configure the router once and leave all the devices the same.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

This is a difficult decision and you have my sympathies. I went to see my grandfather, but I didn't go to see my grandmother. I am equally content with both decisions. I don't think that there is a right or wrong way for these things... well, perhaps leaning slightly more toward going than not. Sometimes it is better to remember someone truly at rest, than when in the midst of their later struggles.

Good luck to you and yours.
          Thanks. To be honest, the last time I saw her in the hospital, she was in good spirits, chatting about how much she liked the large pictures of flowers with which the place was decorated. So although she was unwell, I don't remember her as being in a bad way

Anyway, if the delivery firm doesn't bring the replacement indicator for the car reasonably early, I might not be able to get down there in time anyway, which would save me having to make a decision I suppose

Comment

Timesheet submitted, as that's me done for the week. Now I have to decide what to have for dinner

Comment

Tea turned out to be the last of the chicken hotpot out of the freezer

Been raining, only off and on but quite a bit when it does

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Focus (2015) in which con artist Will Smith joins forces with aspiring ditto Margot Robbie. Reasonably entertaining; reminiscent of Harry in Your Pocket (1973) in which master pickpocket James Coburn trains an aspiring young couple in his skills. There was one bit (this is in Focus now) with Will Smith explaining how a particularly unlikely scam had been arranged, which turned out to be a technique Derren Brown has used on a number of occasions and has explained in very much the same terms

Time for bed now; tomorrow involves getting suit, etc. sorted out ready for Friday, and heading south to stay overnight

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Thursday.

Damp.

Grey.

Sunless.

Dreary.

Cool in here at 19.5 deg, 21 deg in the kitchen, 19.5 deg in the leanto.

1001 mBar, in Hg, Torr, psi, (up from 993 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 76% RH (Lidl electric).

The recycling engineers made their merry way along the road earlier.

Meanwhile on the 1st of July 2019 I'd submitted a CV for something & the pimply youth pimp hadn't worked out how old I was & had replied, whereas Diver was installing a compressor & piping for the airbag suspension on his camper.

I wonder what the Rambling Sid Rumbold thing was about. Someone must have upset me. Again. .

No dreams of note last night, in fact I have no recall of any dreams at all.

I wonder if Merrie recovered that.

Freecell score in the terminal ennui of the morning: 69%, running average: 86% (85.518% & dropping like a fecking stone: as always the attempt to cut losses is A Bad Move).

Lunch: baked potatoes with cheese and baked beans, a yellow corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of not very toasted toast, 0.91*1.56 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: the Y&Y gapfinders thing, didn't bother with the thing about plants, reading The Book was more inneresting & it gets it closer to the discard pile which is always a plus.

It's pissed down intermittently.

I might venture forth to Morrisons to buy some bread & potatoes now it's stopped.

On the other hand: Freecell score: 86%, running average: 86%. .

Entertainment: Trucking Hell S3 E9. No Rory.

Tea: chilli con carne with rice, some apricot halves, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM <click>. The Book.

Joy of Painting. Not so much of the today.

Joy of Painting. Very little .

Trucking Hell S7 E8.

Some UFO bollox on Blaze.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 August 2023, 15:11.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny start out, mild enough at 15°C now and 20° due later, and the barometers are back up a bit at 992/1000mB

About half five, I was urgently awoken by the sensation of really painful cramp just starting in my right calf. I hastily leapt out of bed, as from past experience, the best way to avoid it reaching the extremely painful phase and crippling me for a couple of days is to walk it off before it gets stuck in properly. This worked to stop the cramp. Unfortunately, in leaping out of bed so rapidly, I somehow pulled a muscle or trapped a nerve or something in the side of my neck, so I now get shooting pain through it when I do things like, I dunno, move any part of my body in any way

Comment

Indicator delivered and fitted

It came complete with bulb carrier and bulb, having been cut off whatever poor Corolla was the donor, but those were fine and it's a simple twist to attach/remove that, so I've now got spares of those

It was a bit tricky getting the old one out and the new one in, because the hole is distorted by the denting of the wing. I think a bit of plastic snapped off the old one and fell into the recesses somewhere; it'll probably shake out on the first journey. And the new one was, after much shoving and twisting, in roughly the right place, but the hole that the screw goes through didn't properly line up with the corresponding hole in the car. By bracing my knee against it, I was able to get it close enough to get the screw in and screwed down properly. Then I checked the nearside one, and that's also not quite aligned, though only out by about a millimetre while the replacement is maybe two? But it's good enough considering, and won't fall out

Comment

Working...
                      X