• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having initially been delayed by my lackadaisical approach to moving stuff out, the handing back of the keys to the old flat was further delayed by the new landlord having travelled abroad. To be fair to myself, his imposition of a stupidly long notice period and threat of penalties for moving out "early" (i.e. within six months since he'd taken over) didn't exactly encourage me to get a move on either

But everything was finally done and dusted (literally in some cases), and he's appointed an agent here, as he's presumably still abroad. And said agent is based a few minutes' walk away across the park so he's coming round here tomorrow lunchtime to finally relieve me of the keys

As this was only arranged just before the gold hunters started, I've just popped round and had my final look at the old place - and, more importantly, taken my final photographs of the gas and electricity meters

So that chapter finally comes to an end tomorrow, and Eon can have the readings right now

Comment

Early night. Poorly dontcha know

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Early night. Poorly dontcha know
        Hope it doesn't hit you too badly

Comment

The predicted supper has been consumed: a nice bowl of Scotch broth

Despite only having had a few pancakes, my calorie count for the day appears extremely high. Can't be anything to do with all the bacon and sausages, surely?

I might go for a bacon cob again tomorrow. The bakery's very handy (though not as close as the sorely missed cob shop was to the old place) and one ought to support local small businesses

Comment

Lime Bay Winery Cuvee Classique 2016 and pancakes for dinner.

TFBSZ
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The car tonight was an Austin-Healey Sprite. Seemed OK, but DVLA Online denies all knowledge of its VRN, so who knows what was going on there?

And the gold diggers all seemed to be doing OK, though that's by their own standards; one does occasionally wonder if any of them have considered learning SQL, because a friend of mine did that and made an absolute killing contracting for big banks

And then I made a rod for my own back by starting on The Gold on iPlayer, a dramatisation of the Brink's-Mat bullion heist and the ensuing investigation, which I've found very hard to stop watching, such that I'm now three episodes deep. Good stuff

Mind you, I was surprised to learn that 1980s villains spent so much time opining on class structure and the abiding power of The Establishment. They seem to have developed their view of society somewhat since the days of The Sweeney; or maybe the scriptwriter has been putting words into their mouths in a rather laborious manner

Still, if you don't mind the occasional suggestion that they're only thieving because some Duke has a large garden…

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Goodnight all
                Night Nick

Comment

Morning all

Comment

Morning.

Wednesday apparently.

This morning's dream was The Olympics on the Moon. I feel sure that nice South African chap had sommat to do with it. .

Grey.

Was dry until it rained.

Damp.

Dreary.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 12.1 deg, 12.5 deg in the kitchen, 11.5 deg in the leanto.

1010.3 mBar, 29.834 in Hg, 757.787 Torr, 14.653 psi, (unchanged, though it dipped down to about 1009 during the night), 74% RH (GDR hair), 68% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 29th of April 2019, counting down was proceeding, while NF took a 13kg bag of change to the bank which turned out to be worth £134.62. Who'd have thunk?

Walk (abbreviated) walked in sunshine and the odd spot of rain.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toasted crust, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, red corner yog, 0.91*1.51 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Freecell score: 92%, running average 85%.

Minor potching in the junkroom office. Anyone want a 286 without a HD? The 40Mb Seagate died after a mere 25 years or so. And the ST125 that was in there instead is also toast, but it boots ok off A:. I'd forgotten the joys of the MFM interface with its two connecting cables.

Tea: the last of the meatballs thank feck with rice n peas, some pear halves, a yog or two, 0.91*1.53 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S8 E5 2002 Saab 9-3 Turbo: the first one he looked at & didn't buy died in 2015, the 2nd one is still on the road. Bought: £2k4, total: £3360, sold: £3750. Some rather odd gaps in the MOT record. .

The colourfully attired one is in Plymouth, though not so colourful today.

Joy of Painting. Another seascape. 19:40ish.

Who do you think you are? Clare Balding. Gosh ain't she posh. .

Who do you think you are? Mark Wright. Hope it more inneresting than Clare. . It wasn't.

Thing about billionaires on 4: Jeff Bezos.

More bollox on Blaze, plus zapping from channel to channel in a desperate search for sommat to watch: Mach a Seo: From Ullapool to Coigach with that Ramsay chap. Amusing enough. New series too, dated 2023.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 February 2023, 23:05.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Gloomy grey day out, with evidence of recent showers. More of same due at teatime. Not as mild either: currently 7°C, no better than 8° likely, and the barometers are down to 998/1006mB

My final meter readings for the old place, combined with the government energy scheme stuff, have resulted in a credit of nearly £30 which will be reimbursed by cheque. How very Victorian; this is presumably their final punishment for having refused to give them bank account details so they could plunder my account at will via the Direct Debit mechanism

Comment

Working...
                      X