• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all

Quite bright with a thin layer of cloud. Currently 0 degrees with a high of 1 expected. The snow has mostly gone but there's a bit of a frost this morning. Forgot to check the barometer when I made coffee so will update when I make my next cuppa. UPDATE: same as yesterday

HWMBO went back to Glasgow yesterday evening. HWMBO's eldest arrived en route to Glasgow and leaves at lunchtime.

Of course there's a Reddit channel for Oak Island nutjobbery, thank you DrS! Although, I do prefer your more succinct summaries

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

The Oak Island nutjobbery: S9 E14 Premier of the Dig: putting 10 feet diameter cans down in the vain hope of finding something other than wood. .

Nice rant: https://www.reddit.com/r/OakIsland/c..._tulip_se10ep4/

More wood. A musket ball that had been fired. The Premier of Nova Scotia visited. The big feckoff 10 foot cans. The big feckoff 58 tonne oscillator that drives the cans. The excitement is palpable.

Down D2 they will go. And a bigger grab to grab stuff out of the can as it sinks.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 13 December 2022, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

You're lucky, hasn't here. There's a funny set of footprints on the lawn, smallish but seem much too far apart for a normal cat. Might be a velociraptor.
      for the 'chury

Comment

Morning.

Tuesday.

Grey.

Gloomy.

Sunless.

Dry.

Cold in here at 10 deg, 8 deg in the kitchen, 3 deg in the leanto.

1005 mBar, 29.6776 in Hg, 753.81199 Torr, 14.576 psi, (down from 1006 last night), 66% RH (GDR hair), 52% (Lidl, electric).

Meanwhile back in the halcyon days of the 20th of March 2019 it was grey and gloomy with Margam out of sight, "they" were putting up fire escape notices in Ye Newe Sloughe of Desponde, NF had run out of sausages so went on a shopping trip, and I spent much of the day reading old Wireless World mags on the interweb which revealed how far the modern iteration had fallen from its glory days of the 50s & 60s where stuff like "immitance" was discussed.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the grey gloom & not quite so biting cold as yesterday. Strange yellow globe in the sky.

TV Times (for next week) and Radio Times (for Xmas & New Year) purchased. Feeling much poorer now.

Lunch: baked portato(large) with cheese & baked beans, some of those dip things on bread, red corner yog, blackcurrant jam and marmalade on slices of toast (sunflower & pumpkin seed variety), 0.91*1.66 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y waffling on about strikes & suchlike. It's as if we were back in 1978. Are there bodies piling up in mortuaries yet? Are there piles of refuse on the streets? If not why not.

More potching with Win2k: the next box died with ntoskrnl.exe errors. Ho hum.

Dug an old XP box out of the garage which actually boots successfully. . Hopefully it'll drive the laser printer. Maybe both laser printers. .

Tea: battered haddock, some pear halves, a yog, some of that dip stuff on bread, a slice of cake, 0.91*1.62 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Wheeler Dealers S15 E23 1973 Toyota Celica: Bought $4k5, Total: $11,550, Sold: $12k. Duff engine which was replaced by a much younger unit with more power, Igor, aftermarket sunroof replaced by Ant using that workshop favourite: a sheet of steel and The English Wheel. We all have one of those in the workshop, along with the pneumatic joddler: a bit more impressive than the mandraulic one I've never used.

Originally posted by MB
        We had some profit
        Yes, all $450 of it.

Ghosts S1 E17: the prom ghost.

Maigret S4 E3 "The Lost Life". Watched the last half of this previously. So that's how it began.

FBI S2 E1: Little Egypt. Terrorism.

FBI S2 E2 The lives of others. Kidnapped kid.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 December 2022, 23:07.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Off to arty farty thing. Spent ages clearing snow/ice from my drive so my van won't slip sideways into the wall as it nearly did yesterday.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I went back and forth to the car to create a three-box, three-bag load of books then headed off to the flat. While there, I got one of the study bookcases almost assembled - but I somehow managed to twist my right knee a bit when sliding the back in. It was only a twinge for a few minutes, but it didn't feel right, like it was giving me a warning that it'd pack up if I wasn't careful. So I sat down and rested it for twenty minutes or so, then came home to find the knee brace I got when it was iffy a few years ago. But I've got to head back to the flat as the Sky Broadband chap is coming between 14:00 and 16:00, so no time to grab lunch

I might just have time to pop in to Greggs on the way back though…

Comment

Bit weird experience today. Just got out of me van for me walkies and this young teenage girl leened out of her window, asked my name and then started chatting about cartoon films, Despicable Me, Wallace & Grommet etc. Every time I tried to end the conversation and get on me walk she said "Wait, I've got one..."
              Last edited by xoggoth; 13 December 2022, 15:52.
              bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Bit weird experience today. Just got out of me van for me walkies and this young teenage girl leened out of her window, asked my name and then started chatting about cartoon films, Despicable Me, Wallace & Grommet etc. Every time I tried to end the conversation and get on me walk she said "Wait, I've got one..."
                Loony lady in the making

Comment

I did manage to find time to stop off at Greggs on the way back

And then I finished off one of the living room bookcases while I awaited the Sky Broadband bloke. He arrived on schedule, and set up the 4G backup for the broadband, so if my connection goes down, I still have Internet, although it's necessary to switch to a different wifi network

I've also got a static IP address so once I'd got both networks set up on my phone I switched back and forth between them while visiting an IP-address-displaying site. I vaguely assumed that the 4G connection would have a different IP address, but no: somehow, the way it and the router are integrated, I end up with the same IP address whichever connection is active, which is pretty cool

Anyway, with all that set up I finished off the other living room bookcase, and also the first study one. But I don't have anything over there to stand on to attach them to the walls, so I haven't been able to transfer books to them yet

I'll get some chairs from the kitchen transferred over there tomorrow, as one of them is all that's needed - the rooms there aren't tall enough for the height extension units

And through all this, my knee occasionally grumbled a little but it held up OK with the assistance of the knee brace. I daresay it'll be all right in a day or two.

Comment

Volunteer thing tomorrow on Ashdown Forest has been cancelled due to the snow. Rather glad of that, would have been horrible. But xmas do still going ahead.Yeh!
                    bloggoth

Comment

Mundane laundry on

Comment

Working...
                      X