• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Lots of white fluffiness outside with the sun finding the many gaps from time to time. Currently 1°C and maybe getting to 2° later, and the barometers are unchanged at 1001/1009mB

Comment

Early lunch: a smoked pancetta omelette

Comment

Headed over to the new place in time to take delivery of the missing arm cover from Ikea, so I was finally able to complete assembly of the sofa!

And the stuff for Sky Broadband arrived the other day so I decided to set that up, pending the supposed activation by an engineer on Tuesday. I'm not sure, but I think it's already working, as my phone was able to get an IP address from DHCP, and I could connect to the router's config page, which said it was "connected", whatever that might denote. But the phone may have been automatically falling back to 4G, so I'll take the iPad or the MBA over and see if I can connect using them. If it turns out I do indeed have Internet access, the final hurdle is removed

But putting together the bits of sofa was quite enough exertion for a Saturday, so that can wait until tomorrow

Comment

No report from the Chinese tonight as I went to the chip shop instead

Comment

Lovely drive along the A303, called in with old friends when we got to Surrey, then back roads to Gatwick (In The WifeTM’s grown up Audi TT). After a bit of cornering fun, we arrived.

Turns out The WifeTM would make a good contractor, having organised a room picnic of M&S G&T, salads, wine, etc.

Alarm set for early O’clock.

TFBSZ.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

5am and I can’t sleep.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Curtains aren't cheap, are they?
                Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Morning all

5am and I can’t sleep.
                The default consequence of needing to be awake at 6am
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Morning.

Dry after some precipitation overnight.

Blue sky.

Sunny.

Cold in here at 10 deg, 8 deg in the kitchen, 4 deg in the leanto.

1005.5 mBar, 29.692 in Hg, 754.18 Torr, 14.58 psi, (down from 1006.5 last night), 66% RH (GDR hair), 57% RH (Lild electric).

Sunday.

Meanwhile on the 19th of March 2019 NF was informing the assembled congregation (such as it was) of the wonders of Chef and Ruby, with the availability of Chef for IBM z linux whatever that is.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine and notquitesocold cold.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, red corner yog, blackcurrant jam and marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.63 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: the hum of the dehumidifier.

Freecell score: 90%, running average 85%.

The ongoing fight with the Win2k box is ongoing. "Repair": no change. Reformat HD to NTFS: gets exactly as far as previously then falls over. Ho hum.

Tea: lentil <pfffft> soup, the last of the xmas pud with custard, 0.91*1.71 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment:

5 minutes of Startrek IV.

Some thingie on R4 about Eldon in that Liverpool place. Apparently much ownership of same in the BVI and suchlike locales.

The Eagles in concert at the L.A. Forum. They all look old.

Though not as old as our Dave in Pompeii yesterday, when he had the good grace to play Comfortably Numb to round of the rather indifferent remainder of the offering.

Part of the thing on Sky Arts about Film Noir: rounded off with "Touch of Evil (1958)" with that Charlton Heston chap and that Orson Welles chap.

Ghosts US S1 E15. The one where the Viking gets therapy.

Simon Schama's The History of Now: full of Ayn fecking Rand this week.

The Repair Shoppe: theodolite, bell for an icecream van, and a football from 1959.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 December 2022, 22:24.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Foggy out but expected to give way to a clear day. Much frost. Currently -1 with a high of 1 expected. Barometer down to 1008 mBar.

Hopefully the car will start as I'm due to visit my Mum today, for the first time in a few weeks. Deicing needed. Down on the coast it's forecast rain/snow so that's not going to make for a nice drive.

Yesterday I thought HWMBO was still prepping for an elaborate date night and it turned out he'd planned a suprise visit from some friends of mine and all the excessive food suddenly made sense. Had a fabulous afternoon and evening.

Comment

Gordoneo Bennuto, started snowing heavily just after got I back from me walky about 20 mins ago. Flakes are enormous, will soon have inches of it if it carries on like this.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X