• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all
    Very wet & windy overnight
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Was dryish, then the howling gale and murrain of beasts struck out of the blue.

Wet. Old women & sticks wet.

Sunless.

Grey.

Chilly in here at 15 deg, 16 deg in the kitchen, 14 deg in the leanto.

990 mBar, 29.234 in Hg, 742.56 Torr, 14.358 psi, (down from 991 last night), 76% RH.

Tuesday.

Whilst back on 21st Feb 2019 I had a VR retirement date (which wasn't the actual date as it transpired), critiqued "The Sweeney (2010)" and F&F 7 (or 8 it's difficult to tell the difference), and NF was busily extracting backups from his recently discovered backups.

Walk (abbreviated due to weather inclemency) walked in the torrential downpour with added murrain of beasts plus old ladies & sticks.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese and baked beans, a yellow corner yog, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.5 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y which rapidly went <click> when it transpired that it was a phonein about Xmas.

This box had decided I'd turned off the internet but some clueless clicking of assorted icony thingies eventually persuaded it to work again. Even turning it off & turning it back on again didn't do the needful doings, which was disappointing.

Entertainment: The thing about economics at 13:45, not that I actually listened to it due to:

Freecell score: 88%, running average 85%.

Freecell score: 91%, running average 85%

Big flash of lightning followed by a clap of thunder.

Some minor potching in the garage attempting to figure out how the water is still getting in: looks like some is coming in around the ancient metal frame window, while the other end is still a mystery, also there's some coming in where I filled some gaps in the blockwork but never put any tanking over it. The asbestos sheeting on the roof is permeable in places which is a bit irritating.

Minor potching in a vain attempt to reduce the flooding in next door's car port, which is a bout an inch deep in places. Maybe I'll excavate the old drain tomorrow, just for fun, like.

Entertainment: Law in Action, not to be confused with Law Inaction.

Tea: battered haddock, some pear halves, a yog, 0.91*1.5 pints of good Glengettie tea. (That's 3 mugs of tea, by the by, just to keep things clear).

Entertainment: PM. More endless bulltulip about the Septic elections.

Wheeler Dealers S14 E14 1972 Lancia Fulvia. Bought $9k5, total: $14k1, sold (to a dealer):$33k. Stone me, they actually made a decent profit.

Stone me: That's TV just played a vid for Steeleye Span "All around my hat". Feck me. I went to one of their gigs in a different life, half a century ago.

Maigret S3 E11 1962 Seven Little Crosses.

The Rookie S2 E16 "The Overnight".

The Repair Shoppe. Swagger stick. Whisky barrel (miniature). Willow basket for weighing babies.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 November 2022, 23:16.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Dry and bright. Damp from either dew or rain, not sure which. High level cloud for the most part. Breezy. It's going to be a sunshine and showers kind of day. Currently 13 degrees with a high of 15 expected. Barometer down to 999 mBar.

Feeling lazy, I don't want to play today.

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny start, though with clumps of scattered fluffiness. It was pretty windy and rainy overnight, I believe. Currently 11°C and maybe getting to 13°, and the barometers are down at 986/993mB

Also down: Virgin Media Broadband™

Comment

Ah - broadband's back

Comment

In the excitement yesterday I forgot to report that there has been a lead / potential breakthrough on finding my maternal grandfather in Ireland.

I emailed what turned out to be a very lovely genealogist, expecting to be asked for all the information I have, be charged a fee and then have the same information played back to me.

Instead, she confirmed what I'd found was plausible (and referenced documents I said I had but hadn't given details of their contents) and found more information. She then later emailed me to say she'd found my great-grandparents and my grandfather on the 1911 census (something I'd not been able to do) and now I had confirmation of which county to narrow my search down to. All for free so far.

Leitrim, not Galway. And not Leitrim in Galway. There is still a strong Galway link but it's no longer relevant for the purposes of birth certificate finding.
              Last edited by ladymuck; 8 November 2022, 09:51.

Comment

More stuff from the solicitor. Sounds like we're getting very close now!

She's still fretting about the uPVC windows. For some reason, the seller's solicitors had sent over various planning documents, but not the one giving permission for those. She said that doesn't really matter as we're well past the enforcement period, but I went on the council website, downloaded it, and sent it to her (along with a link to the application) anyway. Now she just wants the current management company to give formal retrospective consent, their repeated insistence that they truly do not care being insufficiently formal, I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  In the excitement yesterday I forgot to report that there has been a lead / potential breakthrough on finding my maternal grandfather in Ireland.

I emailed what turned out to be a very lovely genealogist, expecting to be asked for all the information I have, be charged a fee and then have the same information played back to me.

Instead, she confirmed what I'd found was plausible (and referenced documents I said I had but hadn't given details of their contents) and found more information. She then later emailed me to say she'd found my great-grandparents and my grandfather on the 1911 census (something I'd not been able to do) and now I had confirmation of which county to narrow my search down to. All for free so far.

Leitrim, not Galway. And not Leitrim in Galway. There is still a strong Galway link but it's no longer relevant for the purposes of birth certificate finding.

My family's efforts in that direction have stalled a bit lately due to people losing interest once the kerfuffle over Br*x*t had died down, but it turned out our paternal grandmother also came from a completely different place to where I, for one, had always thought she was from

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    More stuff from the solicitor. Sounds like we're getting very close now!

She's still fretting about the uPVC windows. For some reason, the seller's solicitors had sent over various planning documents, but not the one giving permission for those. She said that doesn't really matter as we're well past the enforcement period, but I went on the council website, downloaded it, and sent it to her (along with a link to the application) anyway. Now she just wants the current management company to give formal retrospective consent, their repeated insistence that they truly do not care being insufficiently formal, I suppose
                    Solicitors do get het up over the strangest of things.

When my grandparents moved down to be closer to my Mum & Dad, their solicitor was adamant that they needed to see the head lease for the block of flats but the freeholder was (and still is) an arse and essentially refused to engage. It was severely stalling the purchase and, as my granddad had had a stroke and wasn't well, it really was causing a lot of hassle. In the end my Dad told them to let it go and get on with completing the sale.

The head lease did ultimately surface when my Nan extended the lease (with the freeholders stalling that process as much as possible too) and it had nothing in it that was worthy of concern, thank goodness.

The attitude of the freeholder company was a definite factor in me deciding against buying the flat as a BTL investment when my nan died.

Comment

Lunch: sardine toasties, said piscines being denizens of the Sea of Olive Oil

And an email from the estate agent, letting me know that the seller has emptied the property and is good to complete as soon as we are at my end!

Comment

Working...
                      X