• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bed has been stripped and left to air. The exertion involved hasn't improved whatever lurgy this is, but I daresay I'll recover in a bit

Comment

Lying bin men have claimed that the reason my food waste bin hasn't been collected for two weeks is because I've not put it out for them to collect. It's right on the edge of my driveway, avoiding the pavement, and hasn't moved for two weeks.

At least it's a bit cooler than the summer when the food waste didn't get collected for three weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        One of the teams at the Department has talked a lot over the last few months about their new JML system, which has greatly improved the processes around Joiners, Movers and Leavers, such as granting and revoking access and issuing or getting back equipment.

As I still have access to all the various services, and nobody from BEIS has yet been in touch about retrieving my secure MacBook Pro and iPhone, I can only assume that our DM forgot to actually add me to that system last week, and she's on leave for most of this week. So it looks like I'm just going to keep on getting Teams notifications about conversations I have no place in
        They actually gave you equipment - I just remote into a dedicated machine via the most overspecced desktop you could imagine.

also most of the calls are on zoom so I’m off to spend £40 on a meta portal to use as a 10” screen for calls
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

They actually gave you equipment - I just remote into a dedicated machine via the most overspecced desktop you could imagine.

also most of the calls are on zoom so I’m off to spend £40 on a meta portal to use as a 10” screen for calls
          The weird thing is that the laptop they provide isn't any use for developers. You can't install any development tools (or anything else) on it, it's solely for Outlook, Teams, and stuff which can only be accessed via the VPN. Developers have to be given a second laptop on which to actually work, but I never got one - I just worked on my iMac, and connected to the VPN on there as needed to access internal systems. If I'd carried on a bit longer I would have been issued with a new M1 MacBook Air for development, as they've just started requiring them. But I would have had to travel down to the Admiralty to collect it.

They also give you two email addresses and the second one (on a subdomain) is Gmail, so all developers use that one so they can access it on the machine they actually work on. As a result, emails to the other one often get missed or are read too late for whatever they concern, as developers tend only to check that laptop once or twice a day, if that - I know I'd sometimes go as long as three weeks without looking at it. I used the second email account for day-to-day Teams stuff too, though occasionally for some odd reason you'd find you could only access a certain group with the first one

The phone has the 2FA app you need to reauthenticate for write access to the GitHub repositories and some other systems every day, so that got used a bit more - as in, once or twice a day

Comment

The bed has been remade as the lurgy seems to slowly be getting more debilitating, so I wanted to be prepared in case I have to take to it early

Comment

While I'm on the topic of complaining about public officials.

The Office of the Public Guardian have just replied to an email I sent them on 15 August. About 30 days later than their 25 working day response time. Good job people aren't dependent on that service for anything important...

Comment

If you want to ask The DogTW what the weather is like right now, she'll tell you it's "Rough"
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tea has been a roast Big Chicken dinner, and was exceedingly nice

Comment

It’s early, but TFBSZ
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      I have just enough time before our daily stand up to get another coffee.
                      28 October 2022, 08:18

Don't you lot do CENTURIES any more?

What is the world coming too!

Comment

Working...
                      X