• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Looks rather grey out, judging by the fact that it's still too dark to tell if it's grey or just not very light yet. The weather app talks of drizzle, though it isn't apparent here yet; but it's to be expected throughout the morning. Currently 5°C and expected to reach 13°C by this evening, accompanied by more strong winds. The barometers are up a fair bit at 1008/1016mB

Comment

Morning all
      Wet & windy on the walk earlier, so it's nice to be drying out at my desk.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Tuesday.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Grey.

Sunless.

Windy.

Wet.

Chilly in here at 11.8 deg, 11 deg in the kitchen, 10 deg in the leanto.

1014 mBar, 29.9434 in Hg, 760.563 Torr, 14.7 psi, (down from 1019 last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 67% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 20th of August 2019, long long ago, far far away, when things were different, there was much discussion of red exercise books with Imperial measurements in tables printed on the back of the cover, a Mammod steam engine was discovered along with another steam engine (non Mammod), plus a Hornby Dublo 3 rail train set from back in Ye Mysts of Tyme, like.

Freecell score: 100%, running average: 86%.

Lunch: notsobaked spud, beans etc.

Entertainment: Y&Y <click> <click> <click>. TWATO. <click>

"When the Daltons rode (1940)" with that Randolph Scott, thouigh Broderick Crawford is the real lead. For 1940 it's rather pacey and must have used more black powder than Little Bighorn.

Last half hour of "High Noon (1952)" with that Gary Cooper & some ice maiden who became a princess plus the much sexier Katy Jurado and, of course, Lee Van Cleefe before he was famous.

Oz Border Control.

Oz Customs. Lots of internal concealments in this one plus some Asian nutter with 17kg of food that his aunty had packed in his suitcase for him.

Last 10 minutes of "The Gunfigher (1947)" with that Randolph Scott. He's popular this afternoon.

Freecell score: 72%, running average: 86%. .

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: Wheeler dealers S11 E4 Citroen 2CV.

Scotland Yard "The Missing Man (1953)". He went missing in 1938. Dear old Roger Delgado standing in for Inspector Maigret. The missing man's father did more police work than the police.

Maigret Sees Double S9 E2. 1999. Mystery of a nobody who was shot through an open window. With an air rifle. Must have been a powerful air rifle.

Classic Literature & Cinema: Dystopia:

Mildly amused myself by looking at Siliconix products on ebay. Some of which turned out to be over half a century old, produced in 1972. Others of which turned out not to be Siliconix parts at all, the Texas logo being a bit of a giveaway.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 January 2024, 19:11.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

A chilly drizzle of sorts has occurred but seems to have stopped for the time being.

Managed to get back from the dentist with enough time to knock up a fake report based on no requirements whatsoever and present it to the client. They realised that I'd not been put in touch with the people who could give me the requirements so were generally happy with my made up waffle.

Comment

Lunch: fish finger (chunky, cod) bap (wholemeal) with sauce (red)

I realised that I hadn't used the car since coming back from my Dad's funeral a week ago last Friday. The wheel that had the flat back in 2020 still loses pressure after a while and I get vaguely paranoid about the battery going flat despite having replaced the battery that used to go flat, so I popped down and started it up, made sure the tyre was properly inflated, and went for a drive around - just a couple of miles in a circular route around the general boundaries of the suburb

And upon returning, I finally remembered to bring in a couple of items that have been in the boot since I was moving a year ago. Just a couple of other, bulkier things to remove and I can tidy it up and make it usable as a boot again

Comment

Cheesy beans on toast for lunch.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Ribs and chips for tea

I'd bought some ribs a few weeks ago, but didn't get around to cooking them and stuck them in the freezer. Then I got some more last week. So once I'd defrosted the original lot as well, I had 1.5kg of ribs to cook

So having cooked the ribs under foil on a very low temperature this afternoon, I made my mango-chutney-based BBQ sauce, this time enhanced by chucking a few star anise in, and finished them off with that. Absolutely delicious and falling off the bone. I reckon the flavours should develop really well in the fridge overnight too, meaning the several future portions will be even nicer

Comment

Telly to accompany tea was a new episode of Traffic Cops

And other than that, I read more of Dr. Rachel Clarke's pandemic memoir Breathtaking. By the way, this will be coming to your screens in February, adapted for ITV by the author and Jed Mercurio, and promising to do for the government's response to the pandemic what Mr Bates vs the Post Office did for Paula Vennells et al.

Very windy out at 27mph with gusts up to 50mph, and it sounds like more gust than not. But the worst of it should have passed by in the next hour or two

Goodnight all

Comment

HWMBO made a very delicious garlic chicken dish for dinner and a beef soup for tomorrow's lunch.

Ents was tat on YouTube followed by Only Connect and Inside the Factory, the pasta one NF mentioned the other day.

Comment

Morning denizens

Mostly clear sky out with a few wisps of cloud being chased away by the subsiding, but still breezy, breeze. Currently 7°C with an expected high of a mere 10°, while the barometers aren't much different at 1006/1014mB

Comment

Working...
                      X