• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Ooh... did I? Have I?

The delays with this thread loading does introduce a fun element of jeopardy into proceedings.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Ooh... did I? Have I?
      zen something or other
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Not enough information to give you an answer.
        This is CUK, are you new here? Rule #1 of asking questions is never give enough information.

Now an exact OS location
        You must be joking! Also, do you mean the location of the house, the location of the garage, the location of where the driveway joins the lane, the location of the gates on the drive...

sane advice

This is CUK, are you new here? Do you seriously think there's sane advice on here?

Do the council offer (paid for) pre-application advice?
        The council had previously signed off a garage about half the size, but that permission lapsed in May. The original drawings were not done by a local architect. The new ones were done by someone who knows the parish council well and is aware of what should get through without issue.

I vaguely remember someone on here who lives down Devon posting something about planning permission, but that's probably years ago, back when the search function worked properly...
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

New number plate fitted to the Corolla

It had two 6mm bolt holes, so I got suitable nylon bolts off Amazon. Then came the question of where, exactly, to drill the holes.

So I went out and put the bolts in, and carefully measured their distances apart and from the top of the bit where the plate's supposed to go. Then I came in and roughly transferred those measurements to the edges of the plate, and took it back out and held it up, and adjusted them visually by a couple of millimetres here and there. Then I took my Helix Oxford set of mathematical instruments and, with set square and ruler, carefully extended the marks into lines, the crossing points of which would be in the right places.

And I carefully measured a 6mm square from each of those points, and in that square I would drill

BUT: measure twice, cut once and all that. So back out in the drizzle to hold it up against the car one more time and eyeball if I'd got it right

Good job I did. Those crossing points were actually where the holes were supposed to be centred, not the corner of the square on which they should be centred

So with that sorted out, I drilled the holes (from the back, small one first as a guide, then the full-size one), took the plate back out to the car, and the bolts screwed right in

There's also nuts that should go on them, but they don't seem to be readily accessible on the inside, judging from feeling around with the bonnet up. So I'll have to do without and hope for the best. The holes they're in are part of the car and threaded for them, so it'll probably be all right for now

Comment

Thought I'd plug in my brother's hard drive into an external caddy I have for such things.

Definitely seems like a physical fault going on. Whether that was there before my brother opened the case, I can't say.

The drive makes a whirring and clicking sound a few times then gives up. Not detected by the PC.

I guess the plan B is a somewhat expensive send off to a recovery place to see what they can do.

Comment

Lunch: a roast pork and applesauce wholemeal bap

Weather seems to be clearing up rather than getting worse

Comment

Lunch is mushroom soup with sourdough toast.

Comment

Just took delivery of 4 oak staves to make guitar wall hangers - I only ordered 3, but I'm not complaining.

Now I need to order 6 neck hangers and then think about the design. This is the kind of thing I want to end up with:

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Took the newly re-numberplated car out for a run, as it started OK this morning when I tried it out, but I'd like to avoid it going flat on the regular now I have more time available to tend to it. No problem starting again. I didn't bother with the motorway, as it wasn't even struggling at all; just popped down to M&S on the off chance I could find a decent coat.

I couldn't, but there's one on the website that seems OK so I've ordered that for collection on Friday.

Quite nice to be able to just pop out like that

I mean, I could have anyway during the gig as nobody was imposing working conditions. In fact, I did occasionally. But it was a pretty hectic project so there wasn't really time most days if I wanted to get the work done without eating into my evenings

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green and red rings closed

A bit of a chilly wind out today; I had to walk pretty fast for a while get warmed up

Then, right at the end, the sun came out. Unfortunately, at exactly the same time, a rather heavy shower commenced. Still, we got a nice double rainbow out of it

Comment

Working...
                      X