• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duly under 65 flu jabbed.

Oh the agony.

Caught the X55 at 16:20ish, and managed to not catch the T6 which would have been a little quicker.

<DS in "lets talk about Swansea bus routes" mode>

Tea was that thing with beef, carrots, and onions that I do, the touch of Marmite(tm) really brings it to life now I'm totally devoid of anything approaching flavour.

The quantity of cornflour used required adjusting the amount of water in the saucepan to avoid it having the consistency of tyre rubber.

In other other news, the plasterers arrived at about 18:00 and are currently plastering the upstairs ceilings.

In the dark.

With portable lights, the 2nd fix electrics not having happened yet.

I suspect the next electric bill is going to be interesting for the new owners.

This evening's epic is "On The Beach(1959)" with Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire.

On the Beach (1959) - IMDb

Twas remade in 2000:

On the Beach (TV Movie 2000) - IMDb

Both have ratings >7.

Made in 1959 predicting a future 1964 that Very Nearly Happened.

First 45 mins is a bit sloooooow.

Come on, get on with it FFS.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 October 2018, 19:46.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

After much thrashing about, I finally got the basic version of the thing working

It didn't help that for most of the day, I've had it pointing at the wrong database server

But now I'm pointing at the right one: behold!

That map was rendered in response to an HTTP request, with the bounding box specified in the URL. Running in a Vagrant VM on my MBA, and using geographic data from a Postgres database server running on my iMac across the room, it rendered in 6 seconds, which isn't too bad.

FWIW, it shows the area in which Arthur Ransome's novel Secret Water is set

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        This evening's epic is "On The Beach(1959)" with Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire.

On the Beach (1959) - IMDb
        I've recently got hold of that, and will be watching it soon

The book is one of my favourites. I have a first edition, which I found in a secondhand bookshop in Cheltenham on my birthday in 2000. It was only about £12, as it doesn't have a dust jacket; but it's still nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I've recently got hold of that, and will be watching it soon

The book is one of my favourites. I have a first edition, which I found in a secondhand bookshop in Cheltenham on my birthday in 2000. It was only about £12, as it doesn't have a dust jacket; but it's still nice to have.
          It seems much slower than I recall, but I suppose that's down to the normal diet of actioners which, in general, are a good deal faster.

With fewer words.

I shall, if the fancy takes me, watch the 2000 version before long to see how it compares.

I well remember that the 1959 version was showing in the tv common room at Luffbra and a vote was taken to change channels about half way through.

Thereafter I took a telly with me.

No tv licence of course.

This was, of course, about 44 years ago.

The guilt of the lack of tv licence is with me even yet.

TFBSZ
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 October 2018, 21:21. Reason: 44 not 45.

Comment

Having been faffing around building a map renderer/server, I haven't had time for cooking today. So tea was some of that chicken and white wine casserole from the other week, with chips and peas; and very nice it was

Comment

Tonight's repast was Asda's interpretation of Chicken Balti with rice , not entirely bad and "Fullers - Rebirth" not necessarily the best name for a bitter (I was looking for the stem cells) It did however vaguely remind me of ESB.

Up to the Smoke tomorrow, I have a meeting with a board who want to make BI history (in a good way). Should be exciting.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                This was, of course, about 44 years ago.

The guilt of the lack of tv licence is with me even yet.
                I'm not sure we have anything like a statute of limitations here, but I expect the Crown Prosecution Service wouldn't feel the public interest would be served by taking any action over the matter at this late date

Tonight's fillum was Twister (1996) which I don't think I've ever watched in its entirety before - it's the kind of film that you either catch the start of just before going down the pub, or catch the end of when you get back from the pub. Anyway, it's OK, but not as good as Speed; and I suspect some of the meteorological aspects may not be entirely scientifically accurate

And a bit of The West Wing as I had a drop or two of beer left by the end of the film.

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all. Nice crisp morning in Mancunia, bit breezy, no doubt bringing the stormy weather in later. Baton your hatches down folks.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Shortly after TFBSZ the heavens opened and the deluge began.

This morning it was 13 degrees in the laundry room with a min of 8.6, which seems slightly unlikely to me but there you go.

Dry.

Damp.

Dreary.

Dawn's rosy fingers in view over Margam.

Whilst staggering down the road to "work", something that might be a) a satellite b) a very high plane or c) a UFO hove into view between the clouds.

Which added a slight interest to the proceedings.

From the sound of the weather lady, yesterday was an aberration and normal service has been resumed.

There's A Storm Coming.

Currently watching for toothsome ladies driving jeeps with alsation dogs.

Comment

Morning all humid and breezy out, looks like it's about to rain.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X