• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should be coming off the bench in the next week or so with a 12 month WFH ONLY role which has reasonable £££ so I am a very lucky person considering how bad in general the job market is right now!

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      Desperate times call for desperate measures. Pursue permanent opportunities too if they are available, then jump ship in 6 months when hopefully the general situation is in a better place.
      I just don't think I could do it. My first meeting with Karen from HR would have me crawling up the walls
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Should be coming off the bench in the next week or so with a 12 month WFH ONLY role which has reasonable £££ so I am a very lucky person considering how bad in general the job market is right now!
        I'd not consider myself lucky until I was on-site and billing - too many stories going around now of contracts (and perm roles) being pulled at the last minute.

Comment

Benched since Jan Start of the year started really well with phone ringing constantly but two offers have fallen through and now... nothing but tumbleweed (aside from a call yesterday that encouraged me to get a 'pro' to write a new CV...)

Comment

Originally posted by Loofah View Post
            Benched since Jan Start of the year started really well with phone ringing constantly but two offers have fallen through and now... nothing but tumbleweed (aside from a call yesterday that encouraged me to get a 'pro' to write a new CV...)
            There is a company, CV and Interview Advisors who advertise on here a lot (often under the guide of a free webinar or similar) - they're quite good and when I used them I had a couple of 2 hour interviews to pull out stuff from my history I'd never thought of, and put them into the CV.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              There is a company, CV and Interview Advisors who advertise on here a lot (often under the guide of a free webinar or similar) - they're quite good and when I used them I had a couple of 2 hour interviews to pull out stuff from my history I'd never thought of, and put them into the CV.
              Is that the lot that had the webinar last night? Registered and completely missed it but they have sent a link through so will watch it later. Good to have a recommendation, thanks

Comment

Chat with pimp for a couple of days' consultancy work. Did not expect that, we shall see how it develops.

Find it odd discussing IR35, SOW, D&C, etc with a pimp whereas not too long ago they hadn't a fecking scooby about all this.

qh
                Last edited by quackhandle; 20 March 2020, 14:39.
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
                  Might be extreme but I have taken a min wage job temp role in a warehouse until it all blows over. Assuming we aren't banned completely from leaving the house that is!

I was damn lucky to get in and am grateful to be earning anything. Also a couple of trickles of very passive income.

Do whatever you can folks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                  Good on you Mephisto, it really is any port in a storm at the minute, I'd do just about anything to put food on the table and assuming you're working in the supermarket supply chain you can be assured you are doing a vital job.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                    Good on you Mephisto, it really is any port in a storm at the minute, I'd do just about anything to put food on the table and assuming you're working in the supermarket supply chain you can be assured you are doing a vital job.
                    Definitely this and kudos for getting off your bum and getting work. Some round here would just fraudulently claim off the state.

I should have done this to keep me sane and keep some cash in the pocket and I didn't which I regret so good on you.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Loofah View Post
                      I had 4 months (17 weeks) on the bench.
                      Keep applying to jobs.
                      In this climate, consider perm jobs and fixed-term contracts
                      Also spruce up your Linkedin profile now that you fixed up your CV
                      Finally, model excellence. Who do respect in your network or does a similar role that is doing well, appears to be successfully?

The really positive things are that you had two official offers, you can definitely get a third one. For some, they are not even getting beyond the telephone interview stage: keep your chin up.
                      Last edited by rocktronAMP; 22 March 2020, 17:44.

Comment

Working...
                      X