• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    If you read the APSCo reference, it said "up to 50%"

It's a meaningless statement loved by marketeers everywhere to influence those too lazy to read.

Of course, DC's headline decided to miss out that important detail.

(reading the comments does highlight again that many people don't understand what being a contractor is, include a sub-thread about hiring a contract lawyer because a client is only paying for days worked and not the "notice period")
    0% fits into that paradigm. Wondered where Mystic Meg was working these days. "Someobody who has bought a ticket could be winning tooooo"
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Public sector organisation I'm contracting at is extending all IT contractors due for renewal shortly. Things are changing so rapidly that I'll wait till I see the paperwork before getting too carried away.

We're also continuing with hiring lots of permies but slowing things down, mainly because of shortage of people to do interviewing as they are maxed out on BAU work handling current events.

A big unknown for hiring organisations is clearly when staff will be able to work from the office again. Virtually onboarding new starters is obviously more difficult and less desirable, especially for permies.

An ex-colleague of mine started a new senior IT role yesterday, he's trying to come to terms with the fact he won't likely meet his new team for months.

Comment

I was due to start new role 1st week of April. All preliminary checks have been completed and successful. Client called me just now and said they have pulled the plug on the project and are very sorry. Well, Understandable at times like these.

I now have time for few more certifications until normality returns.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
          I was due to start new role 1st week of April. All preliminary checks have been completed and successful. Client called me just now and said they have pulled the plug on the project and are very sorry. Well, Understandable at times like these.

Claim a grand on your ipse insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

That sucks!

Comment

Proposed package for self employed question:

Only worked with my PSC for a year and claimed the minimum salary per month...what hope do I have of a package? A lot of talk of the average over three years which I myself don't fall naturally into.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post

Only worked with my PSC for a year and claimed the minimum salary per month...what hope do I have of a package? A lot of talk of the average over three years which I myself don't fall naturally into.
                Interesting question, but if its last three years would the first two take into account your salary for those years. Even though your not required to do a self-assessment in a perm role they will know your earnings. We will know more when the announcement is made.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post

Where are the details of this proposed package?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    Where are the details of this proposed package?
                    It doesn’t exist yet, in proposal form or otherwise. People are being confused by an opp’n amendment to the Coronavirus Bill (won’t be accepted). The gov’t hasn’t shown its hand on self-employed workers yet, but I think they will be focused on sole traders, not arbitrary handouts via the SA system, but who knows (answer: no one, yet).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      It doesn’t exist yet, in proposal form or otherwise. People are being confused by an opp’n amendment to the Coronavirus Bill (won’t be accepted). The gov’t hasn’t shown its hand on self-employed workers yet, but I think they will be focused on sole traders, not arbitrary handouts via the SA system, but who knows (answer: no one, yet).
                      That's what I thought. So here we have a question about a vague scenario relating to package that does not even exist, except in various different forms in the minds of various different people.

@Dhrucku, I don't think you're going to get an answer...

Comment

Working...
                      X