• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    Big banking projects for many years now have been a race to the bottom rate wise with few exceptions.

    By the time IR35 is sorted out (or not most likely!) a lot of IT work for banks will have either been offshored, onshored, replaced by cloud & AI or a mixture of all of that. The heady days of IT being a well paid profession will for many be a distant memory apart from a few niche hard to come by skillsets the rates will continue to tumble regardless of IR35 due to how many people are allowed to gain questionable work visas!
    Software eats itself

    Thats a good point actually. Companies even more likely to offshore now with IR35. Govt prob didnt think of that. The bean counters spreadsheets of projected tax income increases will be out the window.

    Comment


      Originally posted by tsmith View Post
      Software eats itself

      Thats a good point actually. Companies even more likely to offshore now with IR35. Govt prob didnt think of that. The bean counters spreadsheets of projected tax income increases will be out the window.
      Its not the joined up a to b thinking they operate. I doubt they will ever work out where it all went.

      Comment


        I have up-to-date skills but market is dead. Most roles in London popping up. Been out since November longest stint on bench yet.

        Seen A lot of contracts within ir35 but paying 250 a day. Who ever goes for that must be mad. Btw that's in London too!!

        I might have to go perm at this rate as I don't have many options and I know the perm market in my field is lacking but pay not that grate. Knowing my luck when I start looking for perm roles there won't be any lol.

        Man it's not good. Dam you Tories!

        Comment


          Originally posted by cosmic View Post
          I have up-to-date skills but market is dead. Most roles in London popping up. Been out since November longest stint on bench yet.

          Seen A lot of contracts within ir35 but paying 250 a day. Who ever goes for that must be mad. Btw that's in London too!!

          I might have to go perm at this rate as I don't have many options and I know the perm market in my field is lacking but pay not that grate. Knowing my luck when I start looking for perm roles there won't be any lol.

          Man it's not good. Dam you Tories!
          What is your skill set? Market has been in decline for at least 3 years. Roles are harder to secure and contracts tend to be just filling in until the perm arrives.

          Demand for developers will be much higher than PMs and BAs. For me as a scrum master its very difficult indeed.

          Going to perm seems inevitable after this gig finishes. Being on the bench more than in a role gets boring after a while as its hard to enjoy yourself as you never know how many more months you'll be out for.

          Comment


            Originally posted by cosmic View Post
            I have up-to-date skills but market is dead. Most roles in London popping up. Been out since November longest stint on bench yet.

            Seen A lot of contracts within ir35 but paying 250 a day. Who ever goes for that must be mad. Btw that's in London too!!

            I might have to go perm at this rate as I don't have many options and I know the perm market in my field is lacking but pay not that grate. Knowing my luck when I start looking for perm roles there won't be any lol.

            Man it's not good. Dam you Tories!
            You have only been out since November, £250 a day is getting snapped up by guys out since last March

            And clients are getting hundreds of people taking £250 a day - so why would you pay £500 that was last years rate

            Take £250 now till dust settles


            Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

            Comment


              Originally posted by cosmic View Post
              I have up-to-date skills but market is dead. Most roles in London popping up. Been out since November longest stint on bench yet.

              Seen A lot of contracts within ir35 but paying 250 a day. Who ever goes for that must be mad. Btw that's in London too!!

              I might have to go perm at this rate as I don't have many options and I know the perm market in my field is lacking but pay not that grate. Knowing my luck when I start looking for perm roles there won't be any lol.

              Man it's not good. Dam you Tories!
              You have only been out since November, £250 a day is getting snapped up by guys out since last March

              And clients are getting hundreds of people taking £250 a day - so why would you pay £500 that was last years rate and gone for good

              Take £250 now till dust settles


              Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

              Comment


                Originally posted by tsmith View Post
                What is your skill set? Market has been in decline for at least 3 years. Roles are harder to secure and contracts tend to be just filling in until the perm arrives.

                Demand for developers will be much higher than PMs and BAs. For me as a scrum master its very difficult indeed.

                Going to perm seems inevitable after this gig finishes. Being on the bench more than in a role gets boring after a while as its hard to enjoy yourself as you never know how many more months you'll be out for.
                PM and scrum master roles seem to have been retired by the industry now

                Going perm is just as hard in this market




                Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

                Comment


                  Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  You have only been out since November, £250 a day is getting snapped up by guys out since last March

                  And clients are getting hundreds of people taking £250 a day - so why would you pay £500 that was last years rate and gone for good

                  Take £250 now till dust settles


                  Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  Because as soon as a half-decent paying gig becomes available they'll be off.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by PeterSim View Post
                    I think we will see a major brain drain in the IT sector if they continue with this war on contractors. I know i will be considering moving to another country if I can't get paid the right amount. Why would anyone go from a day rate to a 50% cut in pay? Umbrella companies are worse of both worlds....

                    Many of them have already moved their IT up north and out to manilla. They are probably hoping contractors fall in line and take a 50% pay cut or go work for a large MSP.
                    Not 100% sure about the brain drain in the IT sector as modern IT systems (cloud/AI etc) would slowly become dominant therefore would require people with these new skills to come onboard. Therefore will give opportunity to new batch of resource (the next generation of IT professionals ) who are likely to come as perm in future.

                    True that a lot have already moved up north. Places like Manchester and Leeds have slowly become a major tech hub in the last few years.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                      It's not all doom and gloom if you have up-to-date skills. I hope I don't come to regret that last statement.
                      I feel the same. With up to date skills you’re always going to get opportunities. It is just that whether these opportunities are financially good for us compared to what we used to in the past

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X