• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Someone sent me their CV asking if I have any job. Unfortunately not fit to be mine substitute.

    Silence continues...

    Comment


      Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
      Someone sent me their CV asking if I have any job. Unfortunately not fit to be mine substitute.

      Silence continues...
      Their grasp of English too good or summat?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

      Comment


        Small Tip - It is becoming very evident that candidates hunting for a new role have 2-5 different CV’s, especially for people in roles and environments such as projects, change, transformation and analysis. This makes you difficult to market and shows lack of self direction. Think about where you want to go in your own career and have one tailored CV! You may find you pick up a new position which you want, rather than one you need.... even in these tough times! Good luck everyone job hunting, we keep going!
        This was a tip that was on my LinkedIn feed from a recruiter this morning. I personally have 2-3 CVs bringing out my experience for the 2 different fields I work in. I have been told clients want CVs tailored towards the job you apply for, not a general CV.

        Thoughts?

        Comment


          Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
          Someone sent me their CV asking if I have any job. Unfortunately not fit to be mine substitute.

          Silence continues...
          How is suity these days?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

          Comment


            Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            How is suity these days?
            He's got an extension to tidy up the post-go-live operational issues for his BPM tool at the Wuhan virology lab.

            Comment


              Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
              This was a tip that was on my LinkedIn feed from a recruiter this morning. I personally have 2-3 CVs bringing out my experience for the 2 different fields I work in. I have been told clients want CVs tailored towards the job you apply for, not a general CV.

              Thoughts?
              I have about 20 different versions of my CV all tailored towards, industry and role, with certain buzz words in it. It is not so much the end clients, but the agencies who require that, as clients do understand if you have done role x in finance you can do role x in utilities, but agencies are too stupid for that so I put the emphasis on the particular industry the agency is recruiting for (if known)

              Comment


                I have one generic CV that I will tailor to a specific role if I really want to make an effort applying for it. If I want to change the focus of my CV, say because I want to move to a slightly different area, I will research the buzz words for it and tweak the general CV to make it more amenable to the target. Quite often, the skills are the same but the language is slightly different. If you're aiming for a completely different industry or skill set, then the tweaking is harder to achieve but not impossible - you have to play up the similarities more.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I have one generic CV that I will tailor to a specific role if I really want to make an effort applying for it. If I want to change the focus of my CV, say because I want to move to a slightly different area, I will research the buzz words for it and tweak the general CV to make it more amenable to the target. Quite often, the skills are the same but the language is slightly different. If you're aiming for a completely different industry or skill set, then the tweaking is harder to achieve but not impossible - you have to play up the similarities more.
                  I've also found it useful to ensure that key words/phrases from the role description are included in the relevant part of the CV.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    He's got an extension to tidy up the post-go-live operational issues for his BPM tool at the Wuhan virology lab.
                    He's just PMing some of the low priority tickets in the backlog, like the issue with the fridge repairs schema.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
                      This was a tip that was on my LinkedIn feed from a recruiter this morning. I personally have 2-3 CVs bringing out my experience for the 2 different fields I work in. I have been told clients want CVs tailored towards the job you apply for, not a general CV.

                      Thoughts?
                      I have two main cvs - one that's a generic 3-page summary aimed at jobs/gigs that I'd rather do.
                      I also have one that's a 6-page master cv with everything I've done that can be hacked down and tweaked into whatever version fits a role description best.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X