• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Market was dead in January, started to pick up rapidly early feb, was hot for a fortnight but since then - nothing. Tumbleweed for the last 10 days. The dreaded virus, perhaps.
    Given the recent government announcements the ramping up of fear and negativity is getting very serious. If we aren't currently in deep recession we will be very soon. Quite hard to conduct business when everyone is staying indoors for the next 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
      Given the recent government announcements the ramping up of fear and negativity is getting very serious. If we aren't currently in deep recession we will be very soon. Quite hard to conduct business when everyone is staying indoors for the next 3 months.
      Updates company resume to read :-

"All staff innoculated against coronavirus. Use corporate branded gas masks to ensure client confidence".

Comment

I doubt there’ll be any pickup until the Budget on the 11th March when the IR35 changes are confirmed for April 5th. At that point once the die is finally set we might see some action.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshirespud View Post
          I doubt there’ll be any pickup until the Budget on the 11th March when the IR35 changes are confirmed for April 5th. At that point once the die is finally set we might see some action.

Like what exactly?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Like what exactly?
            They might get laid?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Like what exactly?
              The realisation that client-driven IR35 determinations are here, and that it has to be engaged with.

I don’t think this is the end of contracting as we know it, it could actually work out well for real contractors in the end.

I think the contracting market will split 80/20 with the permie-tractors who are likely 80% of current contractors rolling over and taking pay cuts, and agency PAYE / Umbrella PAYE.

The more enlightened clients will realise that if they want to attract the top 20% who are genuine contractors, with a wealth of experience from multiple clients, and the real deal, will only attract those contractors if they engage properly and perform real, considered IR35 determinations for truly outside roles.

Disinterested clients will blanket outside and get permietractors, and be happy with each other.

Quality will put, and find each other, on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshirespud View Post
                The realisation that client-driven IR35 determinations are here, and that it has to be engaged with.

I don’t think this is the end of contracting as we know it, it could actually work out well for real contractors in the end.

I think the contracting market will split 80/20 with the permie-tractors who are likely 80% of current contractors rolling over and taking pay cuts, and agency PAYE / Umbrella PAYE.

The more enlightened clients will realise that if they want to attract the top 20% who are genuine contractors, with a wealth of experience from multiple clients, and the real deal, will only attract those contractors if they engage properly and perform real, considered IR35 determinations for truly outside roles.

Disinterested clients will blanket outside and get permietractors, and be happy with each other.

Quality will put, and find each other, on both sides.

You missed happily ever after from this fairly tail

Big clients normally give big agency’s a heads up of big projects coming up a few months out, spoke to an agent today - there is nothing in the pipeline

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  You missed happily ever after from this fairly tail

Big clients normally give big agency’s a heads up of big projects coming up ...

And there’s the key. As I said, post April-20 you’re going to need an *engaged* client to obtain an outside IR35 gig.

I think in the main: Big client != Engaged client

Big clients (read banks etc) are not going to be the way forward.

Smaller client, more focussed clients, engaged clients, who want the best. Oddly enough, some of the outside IR35 seen in the last few months are top end roles from public sector clients. They already know they have to play the game to get the right people.

Comment

Budge up, make some room on t'Bench.

Will be done by the end of the month.

Suppose I could work on Plan B until we are needed to rescue the shambles it will invariably develop into around mid May.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Merry go round

Some anecdotal evidence that the market has picked up for a few of my contacts on linkedin, I think this is the much talked of merry go round of contractors hopping from one recently determined inside IR35 gig to a fresh one without the investigation risk.

We should be hitting peak coronavirus April-May so this might be the time to make a move before the economy completely tanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X