• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Where the Crawdads Sing (2022) in which a girl, abandoned by both her parents one after the other, raises herself in the family home in a Carolina marsh (not a swamp; she's very strict on this point) but, as a young woman, finds herself accused of a murder and facing trial in the local small town where they all think she's a weirdo. I really liked this one; not a bundle of laughs, and no spaceships at all, but a very good story

And then the conclusion of the however-many-yearly Alien franchise rewatch with Alien Resurrection (1997) which is very much the weakest of them all. However, I've just remembered that I now have the alien versus predator one, so I suppose I ought to watch that one too, even if it isn't canon which I assume it isn't. Also, I never thought the alien was the most interesting thing in the films anyway; it's just a fancy monster, not a character, so I don't really care how it gets on against a monster from another film

Finally, a bit more of The West Wing because it was too late to bother trying something else. It had the Marbury character in it, who's one of the most annoying if only because of the constant failure of the scriptwriter chap to understand how titles work and what the difference is between the United Kingdom (a political entity) and Great Britain (a lump of rock)

It seems to be raining here now for no good reason. For the record, it rained on me in the Sainsbury's car park this afternoon, which is another reason to be wary of the not-as-big shop

Oh, and my Covid test came up negative

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Saturday.

Grey.

Gloomy.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 12.8 deg, 12.5 deg in the kitchen, 11 deg in the leanto.

But not wet: it's not currently precipitating. Which is nice.

995 and a bit mBar, 29.397 in Hg, 746.686 Torr, 14.4385 psi, (up from 994 last night), 72% RH (GDR hair), 68% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 3rd of April 2019 NF was reading his book, Anonimouse reported hail & snow in that London, WTFH watched a film featuring a lady who tried to stop him meeting his wife, and a boiler owned by Scruff broke down for the 2nd time in 3 weeks, and I lamented the lack of flavour.

Raining now.

Rain stopped.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked, initially in the damp, latterly in the rain.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans. yellow corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.57 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: some standup thing on R4.

Dan Do: cottage in north Wales owned by Clough Williams Ellis's estate manager, house in Caernarfon owned by some Welsh Thespian returning from That London, flat in what used to be a vicarage in Cardiff.

Am Dro: north Wales, slate mines, mid Wales, & last but not least, Barry with a drag queen.

Joe Kidd (1971) with that Clinton Eastwood and Robert Duvall, John Saxon, and Don Stroud (after he got his arse kicked in Coogan's Bluff).

Mega Disasters on Blaze: all about some blind fault in LA. It'd be a good place not to be when it slips. through some of it.

Mega Disasters: The Next Pompeii. Ditto.

Mega Disasters: Oil: what happens when it runs out.

Tea: spag with more of that fiery bol which is even more fiery after a week in the freezer, some fruit cocktail, a yog (BBE 31/12), 0.91*1.6 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Mega Disasters: Drought: currently showing the Dustbowl years.

Mega Disasters: melting glaciers: didn't know that Washington DC is at risk from rising sea level.

Dr Pimplepopper S3 E11: lady with neurofibramatosis type 1: stone me. . Several lumps & bumps removed. More removed later. Chap with an enormous cyst on the back of his head. He's nervous so out comes the nitrous. . The larfing gas is working well. . Stone me that's one big cyst he had there. Lady with ichthyosis vulgaris. She cuts skin off her feet with a knife.

Dr Pimplepopper S3 E12: lady with a large cyst on the back of her head: not a cyst but rather a lipoma. And she's remarkably well blessed as it were. Chap with a BOB or "big old bump"at the side of his eye in the "triangle of death". Safely removed. Now a woman with a psychological problem.

The explosions have begun outside. They're an hour and a quarter early this year.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 31 December 2022, 22:57.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Meanwhile, my mother is home

Morning all

Blue sky with wispy fluff. Rain expected later this morning and this evening. Currently 2 degrees with a high of 4 expected.

Dinner last night was good. Mexican. The restaurant was empty as I think most people were saving themselves for going out tonight. We're fitting HWMBO's new oven this morning so he can cook dinner tomorrow.

Comment

Morning all
          A bit wet and windy down here.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey day with showers out, and a bit breezy too judging by the shimmy on the tall conifers along the road edge of the big lawn. Currently 11°C, which is the high for today, and the barometers are up a little at 985/992mB

Comment

Lateish lunch: sausages and bacon in buttered well-fired-loaf toast

Comment

I decided to head down to the Chinese, which it transpires is about nine minutes' walk away. They told me my order will be ready at nine and to come back then

The old places used to bump walk-ins to the head of the queue, but they clearly enforce a strict first-come-first-served policy here and I got beaten out by people phoning in big New Year orders

In fact, I'd better ask her when I go back if that's the case. Maybe in future I should also be phoning in my order and only attending in person at the time they give me

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  I decided to head down to the Chinese, which it transpires is about nine minutes' walk away. They told me my order will be ready at nine and to come back then

The old places used to bump walk-ins to the head of the queue, but they clearly enforce a strict first-come-first-served policy here and I got beaten out by people phoning in big New Year orders

In fact, I'd better ask her when I go back if that's the case. Maybe in future I should also be phoning in my order and only attending in person at the time they give me
                  It's 21:10, was it ready? Just askin' like.

Meanwhile, on the 4th of April 2019 there was snow in Carmarthenshire and Llanwrtyd Wells.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 31 December 2022, 21:14.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

It's 21:10, was it ready? Just askin' like.
                    It was; in fact, I was about five minutes early and it was brought out within a couple of minutes

And it was very nice too

Busyness status: probably something to do with New Year; apparently "Last night was really quiet but tonight, they all come!"

Comment

Happy New Year denizens!

Comment

Working...
                      X