• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning.

Monday.

Grey.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Sunless.

Damp.

Chilly in here at 14.3 deg, 13 deg in the kitchen, 13 deg in the leanto.

1026 mBar, 30.29776 in Hg, 769.56 Torr, 14.8808 psi, (unchanged but a tad from last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 68% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 31st of August 2019 NF was watching "Drive" and "Blackhawk Down", while discussions of the 1966 Xmas Lectures by Eric Laithwaite continued with the discovery that it must have been in 405 on VHF since BBC2 hadn't got this far in 1966, while WTFH was letting the guinea fowl out and I was rescuing a roller towel & pair of jeans in off the line, these having been forgotten & left out overnight.

Shirts & cottons in the WM.

Shirts & cottons out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Sun's out.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM and pegged out on the line.

Shopping trips to Morrisons, Aldi, and Tesco done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

So hot after all that that I had another shower to cool down.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: Canadian customs thing: instead of dump Septics crossing the border by mistake, this time it's dumb Canadians crossing the border by mistake & getting busted for weed on the way back in.

Oz customs thing: drunken Kiwi woman. Chap from Arabia saying his being stopped was due to racism, which went down well. Native American Canadian with an Oz GF coming back from Bali for another 3 months with little money & a big bill from a hospital for treatment following a heart attack. They let him in eventually. A Mohawk as it transpires. I wonder what Canadian Reservations are like.

Washing dried on the line.

Shirts & cottons duly iRoned.

Had I realised how nice it was I'd have washed the cottons I didn't bother washing because I thought it wasn't a drying day. Never mind, they'll keep until the next time.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: Some bollox on Blaze presumably: UFO Hunters: UFO Storm 2008, some of which is from over by here in St Athan, there's tidy then.

The Mentalist S1 E14 "Crimson Casanova" .

NCIS S20 E4 "Leave no trace".

The Mentalist S1 E15 "Scarlett Fever".

I assume E13 was pulled due to its Russian emigre plot.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 February 2024, 23:13.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Fairly cloudy start out there today, though it's rather thin cloud so maybe it'll clear up later. Going to be a bit breezy too, apparently. Currently 8°C and getting all the way to 12° later, with the barometers up a bit at 1014/1023mB

Soon be time to take the car to be tested/serviced/fixed so I'm hastily getting my coffee down and wondering how long it'll take me to walk back

Oops! Forgot to post this

The car has now been dropped off, and the walk back has reminded me of how unfit I am. Just checked the website and it hasn't been tested yet, or at least its test hasn't been recorded…

Comment

Morning all

Cloudy. Dull. Damp from overnight rain. Currently 11 degrees with a high of 14 expected. Apparently the sun is going to come out and no further rain forecast. Barometer up to 1028 mBar.

Having spent most of the weekend mainly lying on the sofa blowing my nose, it's a shock to the system being upright and at my desk. Focussing is a challenge and I suspect I won't be putting in a full day today.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          The car has now been dropped off, and the walk back has reminded me of how unfit I am. Just checked the website and it hasn't been tested yet, or at least its test hasn't been recorded…
          It passed!

Still might be a while before it comes home as it needs a service, and the rear windscreen wiper needs fixing after grinding to a halt last year, and the air conditioning hasn't cooled down in several years, and there's that dent in the wing from whoever hit it last August…

I'm slightly curious about the advisory from 2022 that was never addressed as far as I know, but hasn't been an advisory in 2023 or 2024. Probably best not to mention it though

Comment

I had a shed load of advisories on my last MOT that a different garage said were nothing so my hunch is that garages have to put something down because the DVSA don't like seeing lots of clean MOTs.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I had a shed load of advisories on my last MOT that a different garage said were nothing so my hunch is that garages have to put something down because the DVSA don't like seeing lots of clean MOTs.
              Could be. I know they have at least two testers, and this year and last year it's been Jason, the owner, who's done it. Maybe he's a little more relaxed about some stuff than the other guy?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                My latest project was upcycling a Lloyd Loom nursing chair. I got it for free on freecycle, but had underestimated how expensive upholstery foam/material/paint was. I think I've spent nearly £80 so far (includes a reusable staple gun which did not materialise from my birthday wish list). Pristine examples sell for around £70 and mine is very much an amateur effort, so think I will need to find a corner for it. Not sure upcycling furniture is likely to be a profitable semi-retirement.
                Lloyd loom are really not worth the effort....
                <Aside> unless of course you are that bint from "Money for Nothing" when you can apparently contact one of your mates who will quote you several hundred pounds to bin the tulip you gave them and totally rebuild a completely different thing which you will then "sell" to another one of your mates for several hundreds of pounds profit even though it is crass tasteless junk and ITRW nobody would ever buy it...
                </Aside>
                But I digress....

Lloyd Loom is one of those twee things that went through a brief "renaissance" during the Shabby-Chic era but very quickly lost traction when even the MfN bint and her mates realised that painting tightly woven sticks properly was so time consuming and labour intensive and the end result was so pish-poor that even the TV companies wouldn't go for it!

Far more profitable/viable is to aim for minimal work items that you can quickly "flip"........
                either by just giving a good wipe & polish or (even better) unrecognised stuff that you can wipe down, ID properly and describe properly thus getting true market value.

I give you by way of example Ercol "459" Coffee tables, Pebbles, Pandora etc......

If you can pick these up at your local Charidy Shop where some old dear has passed....... give them a wipe and knock them out a few hundred squids.

Comment

Links are up

Comment

Lunch: a sausage and bacon bap (white)

No further word on the car. I wouldn't be surprised if it's away for a day or two, depending on how easy it is to source 23-year-old wiper motors and possibly a new front wing

Comment

The car will be ready about half five

Bit of a pain TBH because the journey home will be pretty bad at that time. Oh well

Comment

Working...
                      X