• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walk briskly walked, green and red rings closed

The rain varied from very light to not as light, and there was a bit of a breeze from time to time. But I didn't even bother putting my hood up; it was quite refreshing after a day indoors

The bed has been stripped, so I must remember to make that later. And shortly I'll put the Big Chicken in the oven for tea

Comment

Tea, as might be expected, was a roast Big Chicken dinner; exceedingly nice, and very filling

And I remembered to make the bed before that was ready, so no unpleasant surprise later

I watched S7E6 of Hospital before and during dinner, covering plastic surgery, long Covid, and robots; and then a bit of Trucking Hell as dinner was longer than the remaining bit of the programme

Now, with everything finally out of the way, I can settle down for a film and a beer

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Legally Blonde (2001), for rather long and complicated reasons, so quite appropriate reasons really

So… a year or two ago, US Legal Twitter was twittering about how bad most representations of their work in film and TV are, and one thing they all seemed to agree on was that Legally Blonde actually depicted the reality of their work, and thereby the true nature of the USA's legal system, better than most films. (As to why I follow enough US Legal Twitterers to be drawn into such threads… well, they were good at letting us all know exactly why the latest bulltulip from the then-President was even worse than it initially appeared.)

Having watched it, and assuming they were correct and truthful, it seems to me that their legal system is in an even worse state than I'd previously assumed

But it's a fun film, well worth a watch if you're in the mood for that kind of thing

And then, having watched the earlier films, it felt right to rewatch Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). And, in fact, it's always right to rewatch it, because it's always as battulip insane as it ever was

I imagined, at one point while watching, showing it to somebody who hadn't seen any other films since the previous Mad Max film from 1985. They gazed upon it in absolute astonishment, and asked "Are all films like this now?" And I assured them that no, no they aren't. This is as far as we've got with films, and nobody's even quite sure how we got there, or if it could happen again

And then some more of The Americans as I've been neglecting that of late: The Rat (TV Episode 2016), Travel Agents (TV Episode 2016), and The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of Liberty Disappears (TV Episode 2016).

Goodnight all

Comment

A very welcome thunderstorm yesterday late afternoon cleared the air and provided some cooling. Dinner was cauliflower/carrot/bacon soup followed by steak.

Rather than England vs Scotland, we watched The Life Ahead, starring Sophia Loren on Netflix (Italian, with subtitles). A slice of life kind of film - brilliantly acted all round.

32°C again with hazy sunshine. I plan on getting some stakes to anchor the rose arches we've got. My jabbed left arm is very sore, so I may operate in a more supervisory role.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

White sky.

Breezy.

Vaguely sunny.

21.5 deg in here.

1011 mBar, 29.85 in Hg, 67% RH.

Saturday.

Walk walked.

Quite chilly out there compared with in here.

Lunch: Heinz lentil and bacon soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly sandwich x2 on same, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Dead Ringers on R4.

"Bleached mandrill".

Freecell score: 100%, running average 84% (89.94%).

Tea: spag with another portion of that fiery bol that's hotter than the chilli con carne , some fruit cocktail, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "Villages by the sea: Clovelly in Devon" on BBC4.

"Britain's most beautiful landscapes: Snowdonia" on More4.

The Earth Dies Screaming on Talking Pictures.

I almost expected Ed Bishop to turn up in that.

Not brilliant but it filled the time.

Five Fingers on Talking Pictures. (It's about the spy Cicero in Turkey).

Which proved to be quite amusing.

Odd how one was concerned that Cicero might get caught.

And how ironic that he was paid in forged £5 notes.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 June 2021, 22:35.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

It's dry and bright but cloudier than previous days. Currently 14 degrees with an expected high of 18 later. As I'm at the airport heading home, London is currently 13 degrees with a high of 18 later and rain expected this afternoon.

Off to get my second jab this afternoon.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
              Canada's Senate becomes the first major economy to vote to legalise the use of recreational marijuana 2018

Comment

Flight landed early which meant I had opportunity to unpack and have a sit down before toddling off to the Science Museum for my second jab.

It feels a lot later in the day than it really is, which is confusing me.

Watching Hospital E5 and E6.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Cloudy day again, currently 16°C and not getting past that, dry at the moment but 80% chance of rain overnight; barometers marginally down at 1006/1014mB

Comment

We found there coffee table legs - hollow square tubes made of metal. They fit nicely around the end of the rose arches. I used my hammer and stone chisel to hack a hole in the flower bed for them, and we've put one up. Unfortunately, it isn't level - so Monday we'll take the arch out and give the anchors on the left a whack to get them lower. Then we'll put the second ones up. Can't do it Sunday - not allowed to make a noise. But given the new developments, there's only one flat occupied to the west and north. The house south doesn't care, but the easter denizens are a bit of pain and would call the police on us.

Had a fever most of the day, courtesty of the 2nd jab of moderna.

This morning watched CBeebies presents Romeo and Juliet. Seriously, it's the best of the BBC channels- high quality stuff for little kids that can be enjoyed by parents. Or in my case, grandparents.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hmmm. Unlike Fizzy Knickers, I rarely find anything worth watching on TV. Was chuffed to see Death in Paradise was on BBC 1 last night thinking it was a new series but it was just a replay of an old one with Chris Marshall.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X