• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This evening's feature was "Pain & Gain": Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Tony "Mr Monk" Shaloub.

Pain & Gain (2013) - IMDb

It's a very black comedy.

Even blacker than usual since it's based on a true story.

That's "true" in that some of it really happened, rather than "true" in the "Fargo" sense. .

Glad we cleared that up.

Two of them are on death row, awaiting the needle.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 25 August 2017, 22:48.

Comment

Woohoo. (Sorry, not the user, the feeling)
      I've got a post-gig buzz going on. Haven't felt this in years.

...and not only that we were part of the most profitable single for the charity in the last 2 years.

TFBSZ, but I doubt I'll sleep.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tonight's double bill opened with Captain Phillips, based on the true story of a Maersk container ship captain who was kidnapped by Somali pirates. Very good, I thought

And after that I made the mistake of watching Escape from L.A., which is a deeply, shockingly poor film

I think the fundamental error lies in the idea of trying to satirise the worst excesses of modern society when one lives in Los Angeles and works in the movie industry, and thinks that is what modern society is. Certainly there's fertile source for satire there, but almost all aspects of it are worth maybe a sentence or two, not an entire action sequence in a film; and it's largely irrelevant to most people in the world.

It's a bit like somebody holding up the worst excesses of a database migration project, and the IT culture surrounding it, as an example of what's wrong with the world, when they live in a township whose inhabitants are entirely engaged in database migrations or hoping to get involved in them: if that is your world then it will seem to have a universal appeal and it will also make sense to everybody you know.

But as it happens, most people don't live in or near Hollywood and don't work in movies, so John Carpenter's satire falls flat on its face.

Also, swooping in on hang gliders was probably a bit uncool even in 1996. Didn't Bond do that years before?

Goodnight all

Comment

Off to Rampworx with baby bp to calm down. WTFH knows what I mean......

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

And after that I made the mistake of watching Escape from L.A., which is a deeply, shockingly poor film

The lack of Lee Van Cleef, Ernie Borgnine, and Donald Pleasance from the first one probably didn't help a lot

And I remember a hanggliding film from 1976.

Pauses for one moment.

Connecting you now, caller:

Sky Riders (1976) - IMDb

Made the mistake of watching that the first day of a holiday in Scotland, only to find it everywhere we went.

Mind you, you've got to admire someone, Kurt Russell, who got paid $20M for uttering 111 104 words in one of his films.

Soldier (1998) - IMDb
            Last edited by zeitghost; 26 August 2017, 11:32.

Comment

Morning all
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny day out there. I thought it was supposed to be a Bank Holiday weekend?

Comment

Exercise done.

Must start the boring stuff...
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Leopoldo museum done - just need to pick where next
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Leopoldo museum done - just need to pick where next
                      must be a bar somewhere

Comment

Working...
                      X