• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend has suggested meeting for a pint or more, on the spurious grounds of it being quite a nice evening

I'm now trying to decide whether to rush around getting my act together, including haring up to the Chinese and having to bolt my dinner down, or taking it steady and having something out of the freezer at a more sedate pace. The latter seems the more sensible option.

Comment

I realised for the next two days I have to go and deal with people.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I realised for the next two days I have to go and deal with people.
        Never pleasant

Comment

I seem to have watched all the NZ motorway cops thing on Pick.

I'd seen all of this afternoon/evening's eps before.

However the NZ Highway Patrol thing was new to me.

Which made up for it.

A bit.

The broadband did it's "I'm not there at the moment please try later" thing again this afternoon.

Then it came back after about 3 minutes.

It's unreasonably confident that I know how to fix it when it asks for some magic number or other.

Instead of which I just reboot the box.

I'll be fecked (and not in a good way) if that doesn't work.

I'd have to find the ethernet cable again.
          Last edited by zeitghost; 26 August 2017, 22:06.

Comment

Watched a nice program on Abba. The British like miserable songs...

Comment

TFBSZ
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

As much as I like the beer at the microbrewery place up the road, I find the seating dreadfully uncomfortable

It used to be one of those trendy student bars where all the punters are young and stand and have good backs, and I understand that they don't have the funds to refurb the entire place, but maybe the padded red velvet lounge bar style that was good enough for so many decades wasn't such a bad thing after all

Anyway, having got home with my back mainly intact, I watched Firefox - not the browser, but the Clint Eastwood film about stealing a Russian stealth fighter.

This is one of those where I read the book long before the film was made. In the late 1970s my sister lived in Franconia for a while; it's an area normally counted as part of Bavaria, but it's not really. Anyway, travelling there in the late 1970s, when anywhere off the package holiday circuit wasn't accessible by air travel to non-rich people, involved numberless hours on the train, changing at Cologne. My older brother and I would scour the cheap paperback stall at W. H. Smith in Victoria station, which had all the remaindered thrillers from last year, before our train for the ferry from Dover left, and one time Firefox was there.

It may have been on the occasion that we travelled with my sister, when I borrowed Thomas Mann's Buddenbrooks from her, then found halfway through that somehow a section, or signature (one of the folded sections of many pages printed on a single sheet) had been included twice, and the following signature omitted. As this precluded any attempt to finish reading the book, I turned to some other book, which may have been Firefox. But I may have read it another time, maybe even at home; I'm not sure, though I know it was bought on one of those trips.

Anyway, it's a spy thriller involving stealing a Russian stealth plane… and it's OK, as it goes

Goodnight all
                Last edited by NickFitz; 27 August 2017, 03:52. Reason: Sodding autocorrect removing apostrophes now? Jeez…

Comment

Comment

morning all Lovely day here.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Unlike most zoos the animals are happily out and playing (really sleeping in the sun and heat)

In fact the only animal I’ve seen a sign for and not seen is a mudskipper.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X