• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fancied reading some W. W. Jacobs, and the nearest of his volumes to hand was Odd Craft, a first edition from 1903. Inside, it's inscribed (over two lines) "To David Madsay (sp?) from his wife"; the ink of "to" and "from" was slightly smudged by her when she wrote it, a hundred and twenty years ago. I hope David appreciated it

Googling his name brings no results that seem relevant, so that's as much as we know about him

Comment

And now, tucked away at page 46, I've found a letter written (well, typed) in January 1960, from the Director and Principal Librarian of the British Museum to a bibliographer

Comment

Tea has been a roast pork dinner which turned out very nicely

Comment

Evening all

It's a been a windy, sunshine and showers kind of day. Barometer down to 1008 mBar

Went to see Mum, to take her for an eye test. When we got there we found out it had been cancelled in the week and someone had called her to rearrange. She had no recollection but, on getting home and looking at the calendar and diary, she had actually made a note of the change. Anyway, I changed it to next Sunday as she'd agreed to an appointment and location that she'd never get to. We then went to the big Tesco after I vetted her shopping list for duplication and to check stocks of essentials like biscuits and choc ices as she never puts them on her list but always wants to buy them.

The drive to/from Sussex was uneventful. This evening I have watched lots season 1 of Louis Theroux Interviews...

Glad to hear the film I discovered was worth watching! Thanks NickFitz for the review!

Oh and Witness for the Prosecution was really good! The staging in the old GLC chambers at County Hall was superb.
          Last edited by ladymuck; 19 November 2023, 22:04.

Comment

Tonight's first dose of emergency medicine was a thing on C4 from Australia; Melbourne to be precise. Nice to know that while the opal hunters and gold miners are off doing their crazy things in the outback, the people in the cities are exactly as stupid, clumsy, and accident-prone as we are

Speaking of which, I then watched a couple of old episodes of 24 Hours in A&E

Monday again tomorrow. Slightly more bearable knowing that this will be my last five-day week this year though: after this there'll be a couple of four-dayers, and then a three-dayer, after which I'm off until January

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Quite a clear start, though getting cloudier this afternoon. A bit colder again too at 7°C with an expected high of 11°, while the barometers are moving cautiously upwards at 995/1003mB

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I fancied reading some W. W. Jacobs, and the nearest of his volumes to hand was Odd Craft, a first edition from 1903. Inside, it's inscribed (over two lines) "To David Madsay (sp?) from his wife"; the ink of "to" and "from" was slightly smudged by her when she wrote it, a hundred and twenty years ago. I hope David appreciated it

Googling his name brings no results that seem relevant, so that's as much as we know about him

And now, tucked away at page 46, I've found a letter written (well, typed) in January 1960, from the Director and Principal Librarian of the British Museum to a bibliographer
                Well your post now comes up as the sole result for a search on David Madsay.

What does the letter say? We should be informed?

Morning.

Monday.

Dry despite the deluge overnight.

Golden sunlight.

Cool in here at 15 deg, 15.5 deg in the kitchen, 13 deg in the leanto.

1006.5 mBar, 29.722 in Hg, 754.94 Torr, 14.598 psi, (up from 1005.5 last night, though it had dipped below that), 72% RH (GDR hair), 68% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 30th of July 2019 NF said it was clouding over, and Brillo received a 503 error.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Shopping trip to Tesco done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away: 34 out 34 back.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: TWATO.

As we gradually approach the 22nd, was reading a thing this morning about "Babushka Lady".

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/friend-sec...190000002.html

June/Jerrie Cobb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Cobb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrie_Cobb

Cue the MI theme. .

Tea: chicken in white sauce etc.

Entertainment: PM <click>

Wheeler Dealers S8 E1 Jaguar E type Series 3 V12. MOT ran out in August 2018.

That chap with the colourful clothes who likes trains. Jarrow & marching. Newcastle & coals.

Winter Walks: Yorkshire dales. Mrs Dale's Diary.

Abandoned Engineering. Country House in Ireland, built by a Catholic, burned down by the IRA because his great grandson was the wrong kind of Irish Senator in 1922. Japanese coal mine on Hokkaido that only managed to kill about 200 miners in the 50 odd years it operated, bloody amateurs, we killed 438 miners and a rescuer in Senghenydd, 1913. Archaeopolis, Georgia (the Caucasus one): a city lost to the invasion from Arabia in the 700s. The Hotel Santa Carolina, Paradise Island, Mozambique, built by the evil colonialists (not us, the Portuguese for a change), reduced to wrack & ruin after the evil colonialists were booted out.

History's Myths: Society: more bollox. Jack the Ripper. Titanic. Bra burning. The King's Horse 1910. Blah. There's no such thing as society, apparently, or so someone once declared.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 November 2023, 22:33.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all
                  A bit overcast, but not raining on the walk earlier.
                  Central heating has broken down, so no heat or hot water. Local boiler man coming out this afternoon.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Links are up

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Well your post now comes up as the sole result for a search on David Madsay.
                      Cool! Now his name will live forever on the Internet

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      What does the letter say? We should be informed?

Originally posted by Director and Principal Librarian of the British Museum
                      22nd January, 1960

B. C. Bloomfield, Esq., B.A.,
                      Librarian,
                      College of St. Mark and St. John,
                      King's Road,
                      LONDON, S.W.10.

Dear Mr. Bloomfield,

Mr. Cyprian Blagden tells me that you are going to look through the Catalogue of the Bibliographical Society's Library with a view to examining the subject headings chosen. As I think the cards are here at the moment, I wonder if you could spare the time, when next you are in the Museum, to have a word with me about it.

Yours sincerely,

F. C. Francis.

Director and Principal Librarian.
                      A letter on blue notepaper, letterhead reading "British Museum".

Comment

Working...
                      X